New Manager Speculation

maqroll

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

So basically, the guys we want don't want us, and the guys who want us, we don't want.

Get David Davis to help Christian.....he is used to this.

4 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Basically my two main worries with Smith are the step up in the level of expectation along with how Brentford are apparently set up.

But hey, he’s been the front runner for over an hour now, so it’s bound to be someone else by tea time.

Coming from the setup he has at Brentford, I'm not going to lie it is a concern. But i think our work mon-fri would be much more creative, innovative and reflect itself on match day. But again, just my opinion. Smith has also said in the past that he never signed off on any player at Brentford that was sourced by someone else until he was happy with them. He does/has much more influence on how brentford perform than people think. The guy before him working in a similar structure was woeful. Smith improves players individually and collectively. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

They lose players not loose them, that would be a different thing!!!

I think ours need to be loosened....

.....from the shackles.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

I agree it would, but he can go on 5-6 match winning streaks and then the same in loosing.  Loosing players dont explain them streaks to me.

You're right Anty and it does concern me, but I've tended to put it down to continually having to get more out of average players than you would think them capable of. I would love to see Smith working with our squad. The potential is there (imo) but the tactics and application are currently missing.

• Like 3

So, having read the majority of this thread, am I right in thinking either:

a) we keep offering the job to lots of people; only for them to know us back instantly and tell the press everything; or

b) no one knows anything and all the press/bookies are merely speculating?

Personally I want [insert name here] as he will win games and get Villa promoted this season [hopefully in a good attacking style but that’s not a prerequisite].

3 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

You're right Anty and it does concern me, but I've tended to put it down to continually having to get more out of average players than you would think them capable of. I would love to see Smith working with our squad. The potential is there (imo) but the tactics and application are currently missing.

Yeah that could be a reason alright.  Never thought of it that way

1 hour ago, praisedmambo said:

Seriously though, Allardyce is a different beast to Bruce entirely. It would be a massive step up. I don't think we should fear him.

Sorry but he is correct, Allardyce is a major step up on Bruce, that said, still don't want him.

Anyway, it would appear that going down the list, we could actually send up with Smith and Terry.

Maybe it's destiny?

What if it has been Terry all along and we've just been waiting for special clearance from the EFL, as he doesn't have his badges completed yet?  Didn't Sherwood & Monk get clearance from the Premier League for the same reason, before they took over Spuds & Swansea?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

So how do you explain the streaks he goes on.  Thats one of the major things that concerns me.  Suggest to me more a motivational style, similar to Bruce

I can't give an exact answer without looking into detail of when these losing streaks have occurred and if they coincided with players being out, straight after a transfer window and x amount of ins and outs, a tough run of games, fatigue due to having limited resources at Brentford impacting overall quality and quantity in Brentfords squad. It is for me too simplistic to say he has had good streaks and bad that makes him Bruce mk11.

Let's also take into account here whilst Bruce has been managing Aston Villa and overall underachieving Smith has been managing Brentford on a tiny fraction of our resources and massively over achieving whilst serving up some cracking football.

• Like 2

Bruno Lage now.  Yeah we will go for Swansea Citys assistant from last year.  Matt Law knows more than most to.

Matt Law Retweeted Telegraph Football

Villa to react quickly to double blow by trying to speak to Dean Smith and other candidates. Bruno Lage mentioned by Portugese sources #avfc

Just now, HeyAnty said:

Bruno Lage now.  Yeah we will go for Swansea Citys assistant from last year.  Matt Law knows more than most to.

Villa to react quickly to double blow by trying to speak to Dean Smith and other candidates. Bruno Lage mentioned by Portugese sources #avfc

So, he knows slightly more than **** all?  I don't buy it.  

4 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Top journo work again. Trying to speak to Dean Smith AND other candidates. At least he's covered should we appoint anyone other than Dean Smith.

Bruno has just started a job with Benfica B. More BS. No one in the media knows. It’s a guessing game. Throw enough names at it and you may get it right. its a joke, really. 

Journalism died when Twitter was born  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KMitch said:

What if it has been Terry all along and we've just been waiting for special clearance from the EFL, as he doesn't have his badges completed yet?  Didn't Sherwood & Monk get clearance from the Premier League for the same reason, before they took over Spuds & Swansea?

No, it was the EFL who needed clearance from Lord Tim IIRC.