New Manager Speculation

maqroll

35 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Except you have no idea if that’s true.

The readiness of some of our fans to attack the new owners completely baffles me. It’d be bad enough if it was based on facts, but based as it is on a handful of speculative tweets and newspaper articles it makes no sense at all to me.

It seems that you like to ridicule the posts of others....before you actually read what they have said....I didn't see this post or mine attacking the 'new owners' in any way!

Take a deep breath and actually read the post before venting you're anger! ?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Godders said:

All I can say is read the article. I'm not aware of Wolves or Fulham taking the same approach as described in the article, regardless of whether they call their manager head coach or not. 

It works for Brentford, but their not a club with great expectations.  They know their limits and don't get above themselves.  Villa are a totally different animal. That's not to say Dean Smith couldn't do a job with us, but the demands of our club have been the death of many a managerial career. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MikeAVFC said:

He's an improvement on Bruce as he does actually have a game plan (dull as **** mind) but I honestly don't think I can take any more putting 10 men behind the ball. Just some excitement would be nice. 

Still convinced most of this is as a result of the situation he is in though. He is usually managing a crap team towards the bottom of the league scrapping for every point they can muster and playing teams like man city/spurs/liverpool/arsenal/chelsea every week or two. Not much else you can do in that situation really.

What did people expect, Blackburn/West Ham were never likely to win anything or realistically achieve anything more than where he got them. Sunderland/Palace were both short term "keep us up" deals & Everton wasn't really much different when he went there. Sure they might not have been exciting every week but they went from being crap to finishing 8th.

He took over a team that had this record after 14 games : P14 W4 D3 L7 and managed the following over the rest of the season P24 W9 D7 L8.

4 of his 8 losses were against city/spurs/utd & arsenal and managed 3 draws with liverpool x2 & chelsea.

Managing us in this league should be the complete opposite as we are effectively one of those big teams that should be smashing some of the dross in this league on a regular basis. Very few times in his career would he be in a position where he has a selection of some of the best players in the division at his disposal

47 minutes ago, westholmevillan said:

It pains me to say this but it seems that Deadly Doug was more clued up than any owner we've had since!  He seemed to be better organized and more decisive than any of our owners since!  Moreover, he managed to get us (in the main) reasonably good managers who, at least,  won us some silverware and kept us financially sound whilst doing so!

It's clear that we don't do 'forward planning' anymore!...no wonder that we are in such a mess both on and off the pitch!

Just saying!

Just point out to me again how you weren’t criticising the new owners ?

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

Just point out to me again how you weren’t criticising the new owners ?

That's easy...given that I didn't mention them!  I very happy with them so far!  My anger is aimed at Lerner at Dr X who never seemed to plan anything properly!

Hope that's 'clear' ?

11 minutes ago, westholmevillan said:

It seems that you like to ridicule the posts of others....before you actually read what they have said....I didn't see this post or mine attacking the 'new owners' in any way!

Take a deep breath and actually read the post before venting you're anger! ?

Please point out where I “ ridiculed” your Post ?

Please point out where I appear “ angry” - I’d say you were the one who expressed something closer on the scale to anger, in your exasperation at our owners and praise for Doug.

Just to reiterate, I’m baffled at the knocks they are getting, particularly as it’s based on almost no facts.

Mind you, I’m as careful as the next guy, so if you would care to post the actual facts you have to back up what you’ve said - particularly those that show how , in comparison to Doug, how they are not “ clued up”, how they are “ disorganised and indecisive”, and how they don’t “ forward plan “... I’ll certainly be more sceptical.

See, I didn’t say those things, you did.

43 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Said a few times that if we can't get rodgers then fat sam would be the best option. He would get us out of this league (more than likely this year) and keep us up/get a mid table finish the first year in the prem. From there a decision can be made on his/the future but that would be step 1&2 completed of never ending up in this position again.

I really cannot see allardyce being interested in taking the villa job , he drove a hard deal before taking the Everton job on his terms , cannot see him coming here and wouldn’t want him anyway . 

28 minutes ago, Godders said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2718752

There's a long article that summarises Brentford's setup. A very interesting few paragraphs on Smith's role as well. He's a "head coach" as it's a conscious decision to limit the scope of his role at the club. 

Interesting read.

I've been saying for years that our approach should be tailored relevant to the challenges we face instead of throwing cash around like it alone can remedy our trials.

Ingenuity, analysis and problem solving as a means to solutions and progress instead of reverting to type and simply accepting the well worn path as the way.

Here's a cringeworthy snippet from the article:

Brentford will not be able to compete with richer clubs by doing the same things on a smaller budget. Last season, fellow Championship team Aston Villa spent more on transfer fees than Brentford have in their entire 127-year history but still finished three places lower.

• Like 1

Like I said before, if you could guarantee that Smith would be a success here then I'd prefer him to anyone as he's one of us. I just worry that it will go the other way.

But the thought of a Villa fan getting us promoted and leading the charge up the Prem table is exciting!

On 05/10/2018 at 20:33, nnock1984 said:

I’m not one to proclaim to be in the know but I was told today by a friend of Dean Smith that it’ll all be signed by Wednesday. I was told to lump on so that’s what I’ve done at 12/1 - time will tell if I’ve been had!

Just saying 

3 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

Like I said before, if you could guarantee that Smith would be a success here then I'd prefer him to anyone as he's one of us. I just worry that it will go the other way.

But the thought of a Villa fan getting us promoted and leading the charge up the Prem table is exciting!

I don't know if Dean Smith would get us promoted, but I believe that he would get his head down and bust a gut to make it happen.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Interesting read.

I've been saying for years that our approach should be tailored relevant to the challenges we face instead of throwing cash around like it alone can remedy our trials.

Ingenuity, analysis and problem solving as a means to solutions and progress instead of reverting to type and simply accepting the well worn path as the way.

Here's a cringeworthy snippet from the article:

They also note the Hogan transfer as an example of success for their recruitment policy. 

I've long considered data analytics to be the future of the sport. 

I can understand it would be extremely difficult for fans to get on board though if we sell Grealish and replace him with a 5 ft 2 german 2nd division player whose averaged 2.2 xGA over the last 40 games. That would be an incredibly difficult sell to the fans at most clubs.