New Manager Speculation

maqroll

2 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Brentford Finished 9th last year, Behind both Preston & Millwall.

2016/17 Brentford finished 10th, 2 points above Preston and spent 6 million+ last summer compared to Prestons 2.1 million.

Not even competing with teams with less resources ;)

Well, they're doing better than both teams this season.

13 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Watch this and you will feel good about DS

I'd feel good if he was the architect. I don't believe he is. I think he's been told how he's expected to play, and he coaches that. I don't believe he decides how they play, I don't believe he identifies or decides who they buy to fit into their system. No doubt he's a very good coach, and no doubt Brentford play some nice football. I worry though that there's no experience there of giving a team an identity and there's no experience there of having significant control over transfer policy.

The jury is out for me. If he comes in, I hope he proves me wrong. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

Colour me sold. I want him. 

I mean he says, all the right things, and also has proven he does them too - Henry said all the right things, but lacked the proof. If he clicks, he'll be ideal. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Godders said:

I'd feel good if he was the architect. I don't believe he is. I think he's been told how he's expected to play, and he coaches that. I don't believe he decides how they play, I don't believe he identifies or decides who they buy to fit into their system. No doubt he's a very good coach, and no doubt Brentford play some nice football. I worry though that there's no experience there of giving a team an identity and there's no experience there of having significant control over transfer policy.

The jury is out for me. If he comes in, I hope he proves me wrong. 

Oh ok, so he has been told how they are supposed to play, and just coaches it.

So once he leaves Brentford they wipe his brain clean with the Men in Black thingy and he forgets how to do it?

Am I missing something or is that the most integral part?

Re signing players and systems, isn't that why we have Sporting Directors, Scouting teams and so on?

It's the ACTUAL coaching we've been missing.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Godders said:

They also note the Hogan transfer as an example of success for their recruitment policy. 

I've long considered data analytics to be the future of the sport. 

I can understand it would be extremely difficult for fans to get on board though if we sell Grealish and replace him with a 5 ft 2 german 2nd division player whose averaged 2.2 xGA over the last 40 games. That would be an incredibly difficult sell to the fans at most clubs. 

I take your point. I don't think you win by selling players like Grealish though. You develop them so that in time leadership quality and athletic skill set are ready for the rigors ahead.

I understand sometimes selling is inevitable, but it's nothing to aspire toward. The function is producing good football and the players to go with it. Business is secondary in my mind.

Selling Hogan as a success story is understandable, it's money they otherwise wouldn't have for a player who was purchased for a fraction of the cost.

You're right. Data analytics certainly has it's place and merits. The old adage that you must count your makes and takes in order to progress is timeless.

Dean Smith 100% no for me. Remember Lambert, the up and coming manager, the one most of us wanted, we destroyed his soul down here at VP, Dean Smith will go the same way.The pressure here is immense, an is why we need a big name manager. Its difficult for us because even though we aren't the Chelsea's or Man United's of the game, we are a huge club. or if you don't agree with that anymore, a huge business, unlike many others in the Championship, Brentford for instance.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Dean Smith 100% no for me. Remember Lambert, the up and coming manager, the one most of us wanted, we destroyed his soul down here at VP, Dean Smith will go the same way.The pressure here is immense, an is why we need a big name manager. Its difficult for us because even though we aren't the Chelsea's or Man United's of the game, we are a huge club. or if you don't agree with that anymore, a huge business, unlike many others in the Championship, Brentford for instance.

In fairness, I think the Lerner regime crushed Lambert. And certainly Remi Garde too.

18 minutes ago, kwoktolai said:

I don't even know who would be a good fit for us anymore. But would be quite hilarious if we do get Henry after all this

We won’t be getting Henry now that the Monaco position is open. He took training there yesterday. The owners should have had courage in their conviction and appointed him when they arrived, it would have been a master stroke.

I fear we will end up with plan D or E whoever that will be. 

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Oh ok, so he has been told how they are supposed to play, and just coaches it.

So once he leaves Brentford they wipe his brain clean with the Men in Black thingy and he forgets how to do it?

Am I missing something or is that the most integral part?

DS wasn't the architect of the Brentford way. No doubt he plays his role, but there are others behind the scenes at the club that have major roles in defining Brentford Football Club. He also doesn't set or control their transfer activity. Again, he has a role to play, but stats and data analysts play a massive role in who they decide to look at and how those players will fit into the club's philosophy, and transfers are done by committee.

To think Dean Smith plays a significant role in defining the way Brentford play and who they sign is incorrect, and I worry that because he didn't design the system at Brentford, and won't have the support network here that he has at Brentford, he won't be able to emulate what he's done with them.