New Manager Speculation

maqroll

3 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I actually agree. I think we could get promoted under fat sam. The football wouldn't be great, but it would be organised and we'd have an actual gameplan. 

Said a few times that if we can't get rodgers then fat sam would be the best option. He would get us out of this league (more than likely this year) and keep us up/get a mid table finish the first year in the prem. From there a decision can be made on his/the future but that would be step 1&2 completed of never ending up in this position again.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Another one....!

Clear from what !!?

It's very clear that we didn't plan 'our finances' correctly ....FFP

Its clear that we didn't have a plan to take a close look at other managers in case it went tits up...it did

Its clear that this is the reason that we don't have a manager in place...when we should have by now

And let me make this clear, I'm NOT having a pop at the new owners, who have, IMO done an excellent job so far!

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

I still don’t really understand this system thing. Firstly did he have it at Walsall?

Secondly why can’t we replicate it?

And thirdly if it’s all down to this system and it can’t be replicated, is Smith going to spend his entire career at Brentford?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2718752

There's a long article that summarises Brentford's setup. A very interesting few paragraphs on Smith's role as well. He's a "head coach" as it's a conscious decision to limit the scope of his role at the club. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Still stand by my first comments after Bruce went, Rodgers or Rafa (wasn't aware of the Purslow connection at the time) first choice, Smith a perfectly valid third choice.

Smith, if he wants the job, should be hired over anyone that isn't sure/keen.

Rodgers too but for some unknown reason the press and bookies seem to have gone off him.

4 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Said a few times that if we can't get rodgers then fat sam would be the best option. He would get us out of this league (more than likely this year) and keep us up/get a mid table finish the first year in the prem. From there a decision can be made on his/the future but that would be step 1&2 completed of never ending up in this position again.

He's an improvement on Bruce as he does actually have a game plan (dull as **** mind) but I honestly don't think I can take any more putting 10 men behind the ball. Just some excitement would be nice. 

2 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Except you have no idea if that’s true.

The readiness of some of our fans to attack the new owners completely baffles me. It’d be bad enough if it was based on facts, but based as it is on a handful of speculative tweets and newspaper articles it makes no sense at all to me.

Agreed, it is baffling.

Especially when from the outside looking in what I have seen is the retention of Grealish, those either already appointed or linked to a position have seemingly impressive credentials, and they weren't afraid to make a decision to cut ties when it became evident the likelihood of success under Bruce was unfavourable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Godders said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2718752

There's a long article that summarises Brentford's setup. A very interesting few paragraphs on Smith's role as well. He's a "head coach" as it's a conscious decision to limit the scope of his role at the club. 

A lot of coaches have that title though. Nuno is 'head coach' at Wolves, so by that logic Wolves are having success despite him. Same with Fulham, Jokanovic is also 'head coach'. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MikeAVFC said:

A lot of coaches have that title though. Nuno is 'head coach' at Wolves, so by that logic Wolves are having success despite him. Same with Fulham, Jokanovic is also 'head coach'. 

All I can say is read the article. I'm not aware of Wolves or Fulham taking the same approach as described in the article, regardless of whether they call their manager head coach or not. 

10 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

If we did go for the same old British manager route then I agree Big Sam is the best of a bad bunch. Signing up for a few more years of pragmatic football is not what I am hoping for in the new manager though.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Lot of money being placed on Dean Smith. I’d be happy with that appointment.

Think it's just people reacting to him jumping into the favourite position by way of Faria and Henry going out rather than anyone with actual info on whether Villa have approached Brentford .

Also, have to say I do not in the least dislike fate - Dean Smith wants this job, has sat patiently and it looks like his turn has come due to others not seeing the opportunity. He won't be slighted by that, but he will grasp the opportunity and I think he'll understand the club. I can't see any problems with this at all. Even Hogan can get scoring once more.

• Like 3