Axel Tuanzebe

alreadyexists

If he's ever going to get his career on track he needs to go somewhere where he'll start games and play on a weekly basis. Napoli won't be that place either (once their injury crisis clears up)

Norwich already have a Manure loan but I'm sure most promotion chasing Championship sides would be happy to have him. Glasgow Rangers has Helander out after a knee surgery so maybe they'd be interested?

I wouldn’t be opposed to his loan deal being curtailed.

Always thought this was a bit of a sentimental signing as he hasn’t done a great deal since his last loan here when we were a championship team.

I’d let him go, bring in a replacement in January and/or use Hause if needed.

• Like 2

This is a weird one. Ideally we sign him as I think if he can actually be an excellent PL player if he gets the games and the experience...but he's not good enough to play at the minute here. In a perfect world he'd be our player and we'd be loaning him out for games.

I think we'll have some kind of regret in a get years not picking him up but it's not right for either party atm.

He's 24 and has featured in a total of 83 career games of football at senior level all competitions. That is really not a lot is it.

Joe Gomez, also 24 who's missed almost 2 full seasons due to injuries in the last 4 years has pretty much double that if you add his England games.

I wonder if this made more sense as a loan when we were playing 3 at the back and you were bound to have more strain on the CB’s in general plus them moving more and needing to be rotated.

Though he hasn’t had a lot of game time I think you need Hause plus another back up. Look at the next game, Mings is suspended and Konsa could easily need to be out at the same time. Unless we have another person to slot in I say keep him till the summer.

7 hours ago, theboyangel said:

I wouldn’t be opposed to his loan deal being curtailed.

Always thought this was a bit of a sentimental signing as he hasn’t done a great deal since his last loan here when we were a championship team.

I’d let him go, bring in a replacement in January and/or use Hause if needed.

is that the same as a misjudgment?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

is that the same as a misjudgment?

I don’t know - we clearly missed out on favourable signings so found a cheap and familiar temporary solution. 

I didn’t think it was a great idea at the time and sadly nothing has changed my mind. 

I think we just got a body in, we needed a 4th choice CB as a gap filler, he was available, we know him he knows us, quick and easy 

Turns out we don't actually need him... Sods law says that as soon he's gone and we're down to 3 we probably will need him

Hause is better, I don't think Tuanzebe will make it as a PL starter, injuries and utd have done him, should never have signed that contract but he won't be the first and he won't be the last (ask Lingard...) 

• Like 3

Interesting comments from SG about Axel. I figured we would want him to stay till end of season but sounds like there is interest even beyond that. May be PR/ pressure to keep the loan.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12691/12506741/steven-gerrard-aston-villa-boss-wants-to-keep-axel-tuanzebe-at-the-club-amid-napoli-interest

Gerrard said: "It's very much in Ax's hands and Manchester United's hands. We want him here, we would be delighted to keep him. We don't just see it as a loan until the end of the season.

Seeming more and more likely that he will be off. I’m not all that bothered to be honest so long as we are getting another CH through the door. He isn’t good enough to start for us and he wants game time. Fair play to him for wanting to push himself. If we get Gomez on loan as a replacement then it’s win win.

5 hours ago, villaslash said:

Interesting comments from SG about Axel. I figured we would want him to stay till end of season but sounds like there is interest even beyond that. May be PR/ pressure to keep the loan.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12691/12506741/steven-gerrard-aston-villa-boss-wants-to-keep-axel-tuanzebe-at-the-club-amid-napoli-interest

Gerrard said: "It's very much in Ax's hands and Manchester United's hands. We want him here, we would be delighted to keep him. We don't just see it as a loan until the end of the season.

Looks as though Axel has made his mind up 

• Thanks 1

Always been a big fan of Axel but it definitely hasn't worked out this time around. Was brilliant in the promotion season and he seems a great character but not much point in him being on loan at Villa and rarely playing.  Been surprised by how underwhelming he's been when he's gotten a chance but I suppose he's not been able to build up any momentum either. 

Napoli is a great move for him, it's good to see more English players making these kinds of moves abroad. Hope he smashes it over there.

• Like 2

Â