Racism

Brumerican

To stop this white chicks is ok but the other way isn’t thing. If something is wrong then it should be wrong across the board. I don’t think you should try to look like any race that isn’t of your own or similar skin colour. Non human characters are fine of course. If that’s agreed then everyone should follow it no matter their nationality. Obviously non skin pigment colours are a free for all so any wannabe smurfs, hulks, hell boys, big birds, oompah lumpahs etc knock yourself out.

26 minutes ago, bickster said:

Whaoo, that's a whole new slippery slope, not doing things because other people might find them offensive?

No one has the right not to be offended. If people are offended by something that is perfectly legal or within the rules of say the establishment they are in or governing body of the event they are attending etc.then it's the person who is offended that must deal with it, not the person causing the offence.

You start doing things or not doing things because somebody might be offended and that's one strange society

Nothing better than farting in a packed lift btw :mrgreen:

Which is the point where the word 'racism' does need to the brought back into the discussion. 

This chap hasn't offended people because he's put black face paint on, he's offended people because he's targeting someone already targeted by racists, he's unwittingly referencing racist stereotypes and clearly hasn't thought about/doesn't care if he offends people on these terms. 

Meh, it doesn't make him Adolf Hitler. He's not done anything unlawful, but he's obviously a bit of a nob.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

Which is the point where the word 'racism' does need to the brought back into the discussion. 

This chap hasn't offended people because he's put black face paint on, he's offended people because he's targeting someone already targeted by racists, he's unwittingly referencing racist stereotypes and clearly hasn't thought about/doesn't care if he offends people on these terms. 

Meh, it doesn't make him Adolf Hitler. He's not done anything unlawful, but he's obviously a bit of a nob.

I’m not sure you can levy that blame on him. Someone of a public standing is always targeted by someone so everyone else should lay off? Not disagreeing that he isn’t a nob or shouldn’t have done it, quite obviously he shouldn’t have but if he learns from it then that is a positive outcome.

Edited by Ingram85

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

You asked for an example of white people being persecuted and I gave you one.

I didn't. I asked you to give examples and outline your ideas of how, where and when 'the white race' is being or has been persecuted  in response to your post about the white race.

There seems to be a bit of an issue with using the term racism if there was no offence intended. 

I would say what Griezmann did was an example of ignorance rather than hatred. It seems like he’s leant a bit in the last few days about the history behind white people putting on black face paint and is no longer so ignorant about the issue. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bickster said:

By total coincidence. I came across this just now. A prime example of morons being offended (Read the thread)

they’re clearly trying to offend, the barbie has a POWER tshirt on. It’s not surprising that people are, why does that make them morons?

Most seem to be pointing out how inappropriate the tone is for a family store anyway.

4 hours ago, Risso said:

There's that word again, "blackface".  Everybody's using it this week as if it's a phrase they've been using for years, rather than just because it's been repeated ad infinitum on Twitter this week.  Context is absolutely everything.  As I asked before, where were the accusations of "blackface" when Leigh Francis was dressing up as Mel B and Craig David?  

It’s not a new word. Everybody knows what blackface is. 

Also the bo selecta characters didn’t wear makeup I don’t think. It was masks and wigs. So that’s probably why. 

Edited by Stevo985

1 hour ago, bickster said:

By total coincidence. I came across this just now. A prime example of morons being offended (Read the thread)

I laughed. But that is pretty offensive to be fair. 

For a shop to be tweeting that as part of a marketing campaign is a bit much. 

2 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

As well as the many other things wrong with that BNP Christmas card i'd love to know why they've changed the 't' in Christmas to a cross.

Are they implying she's anti-Christianity as well?

It's a racism thing.

sQDaEHH.jpg?1

27 minutes ago, a m ole said:

they’re clearly trying to offend, the barbie has a POWER tshirt on. It’s not surprising that people are, why does that make them morons?

Most seem to be pointing out how inappropriate the tone is for a family store anyway.

Because the outrage and the faux offence is actually counterproductive. It promotes the adverts and the company.

It's right out of the Malcolm Mclaren playbook.

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

Because the outrage and the faux offence is actually counterproductive. It promotes the adverts and the company.

It's right out of the Malcolm Mclaren playbook.

I've seen a number of people use this word 'faux', as in 'faux offence' or 'faux offended' or whatever. Leaving aside the question of whether people are right to be offended or not, why are you so sure they're pretending?

I don't know which is more annoying.

People who get offended over truly stupid things, or people who use some people's over-offended-ness to then moan about how political correctness has destroyed the world.

This thread is literally the unstoppable force meets the immovable object

its racist
its not racist
but its racist
but its not racist
its racist because...
its not racist because...
if not racist the its insensitive
its not racist or insensitive because...
yeah but....
but what if....
yeah and then....
but if....
THATS RACIST
THATS NOT RACIST

I'm quite enjoying the back and forth.

• Like 1

I've been the victim of the race card being played 3 times. The once I was lucky not to get put in hospital. Me and a black doorman had a few words one night and he went on to tell his other colleagues who were all black that I'd racially abused him which I did nothing of the sort. They found out where my mum lived and went round there after the bar had closed in the early hours. I would of been up some bird, or getting high somewhere, so luckily weren't there. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa