Racism

Brumerican

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I know the conversation has moved on, but wasn’t the joke in that movie that it WAS racist?

They played on that, yea.

So as long as you're self aware, then it's ok? 

But what about the people who lived through this in the 1950s? 

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Something about reading a load of white blokes arguing about what offends black people seems utterly pointless. 

This is the crux of the matter right here. I was trying to make a similar point earlier, and ended up waffling. No one can tell another person what isn't racist or offensive.

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

They played on that, yea.

So as long as you're self aware, then it's ok? 

But what about the people who lived through this in the 1950s? 

Well in terms of that movie I think it treads that tricky line of laughing at someone being racist because you know it’s wrong. 

Like in It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the characters are often racist. The comedy is in the fact that they are terrible humans and you know what they are doing is wrong. 

But it’s a tricky balance.

as for the guy at the darts, just don’t black up. It’s generally accepted that blacking up is offensive. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Well in terms of that movie I think it treads that tricky line of laughing at someone being racist because you know it’s wrong. 

Like in It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the characters are often racist. The comedy is in the fact that they are terrible humans and you know what they are doing is wrong. 

But it’s a tricky balance.

Funnily enough I just watch led “The Dictator” tonight on amazon and arguably it’s the most racist film since the phantom menace 

Similar sentence applies 

On 19/12/2017 at 10:07, Straggler said:

Yes Diane Abbott is black, but you don't have to black up to dress as her.  The costume the chap is wearing is good enough to identify himself as Abbott without the makeup, particularly with the crappy maths on display. 

Sorry but that's nonsense. If he hadn't blacked up, he'd be Angela Eagle

EDIT: Or Emily Thornberry for that matter

8 hours ago, peterms said:

If that's meant to be sarcasm, it's too crude and wooden to be amusing.

Translating the sentiment behind it to the UK about now, what is suggested is that if you hear that certain expressions, actions or attitudes are offensive, you make some attempt to understand why, so that you can choose not to use them and avoid offence, or else use them in the knowledge that you seek to offend.  Preferably the former, but it's really your choice.

We had the same discussion, as a society, about terms like nigger, coloured, cripple and others.  We seemed to manage to deal with that.

You are "allowed" to do all sorts of things.  You are for example allowed to act like a complete arse.  You are also allowed to be called out and criticised for it.

I really struggle to understand why some people like to pretend there is some sort of Stasi exercising thought control over them, rather than simply commenting when they act like fuckwits.  Something about revelling in imagined victimhood, I suppose.

I literally haven’t got the energy or inclination to go through this post and reply to it all. Have fun on your high horse though, grading jokes along the way :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Something about reading a load of white blokes arguing about what offends black people seems utterly pointless. 

Something about reading a load of white blokes arguing about what black people shouldn't be offended by seems incredibly crass.

• Like 2

Maybe I’ve missed something, but I didn’t think we were discussing what black people find offensive/racist. I thought we were discussing whether people on here find blacking up offensive and how racist it’s perceived in society as a whole.

I wouldn’t dare presume what black/non white people deem as offensive or racist as it will no doubt vary from person to person.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jon said:

Something about reading a load of white blokes arguing about what black people shouldn't be offended by seems incredibly crass.

I don’t think anyone specifically made the point about what black people find offensive tbf 

the argument as I saw it was around was it racist ... some people said yes some people said no ... isn’t that the point of having a discussion on a forum ?

It’s subjective , same as people’s views on a privileged anarchist stopping a boat race 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

i really don't see the problem and I wonder if this fuss would be made if some black dude painted his face white. 

It’s just not the same thing.