Racism

Brumerican

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I have massive problems with that statement.

I’m sure you do. 

In an ideal world without a history of slavery and abuse, you’d be right. 

For now, Jim Crow is a bit too recent history for me to accept that it’s even remotely the same. 

• Like 2

I remember sitting through a training session run by an idiot who would insist that the word Paki wasn't racist, just a shortening of the word Pakistani and couldn't understand that it's not necessarily the word itself, but the way it's been used over the years that makes it offensive.  It's similar to this really, I can see why it's offensive, though I admit I found it funny on a satirical level.  I do often laugh at racist or any stereotype jokes anyway, I think there is a line between making fun and genuine hatred that I can tell from a mile off.

• Like 1

For me Griezmann wasn't being racist at all (no idea on the bloke from the darts - probably a massive racist tbf). However, the action itself is historically racist and that's why it should be left well alone. Ultimately it is up to black people themselves to decide whether they find it offensive or not and that will be an individual choice. The majority of my black mates find it offensive. So I will leave it to them to decide for themselves. One thing that does strike me about Abbott is that she gets absolutely crucified for getting the numbers wrong and rightly so. However, people like Boris Johnson, David Davis, Gove, Hammond, Bradley, Rudd etc make massive blunders they do not get the same level of abuse. Yes they are crticised but not to the same level of hatred and disdain. Ultimately, I believe, that this is because Abbot is black and the way she looks. Let's not forget Abbott has done some amazing things to get to where she has got to (I don't mean Corbyn). She has fought prejudice, racism and the system. She has made amazing speeches and done amazing things for her constituency. None of those aforementioned have done anything of note. They are, for the main, career politicians who have contributed very little to society.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, omariqy said:

However, people like Boris Johnson, David Davis, Gove, Hammond, Bradley, Rudd etc make massive blunders they do not get the same level of abuse

you need to have a look in the Tory thread :) 

33 minutes ago, Risso said:

Griezman clearly wasn't trying to denigrate an entire race, he was going to a fancy dress party as one of his sporting heroes.

Was he? Which particular Harlem Globetrotter was he going as?

From what I've seen, he just said he was a fan of the Harlem Globetrotters. Could have just wanged the kit on then. It would be clearly distinguishable as being a tribute to the Harlem Globetrotters.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Risso said:

How has equality been achieved if we're saying that it's not OK to dress up as another person, just because they have a different skin colour?

Exactly! 

How long do we have to let history dictate to us what's right and wrong these days. Times have changed and we've moved on so much from all of that. I honestly think this race card will still be played in a thousand years. 

I really dispair at how we are becoming. You cant even go to a dfancy dress party as a celebrity you like who is a different skin colour to you. Whats next get offended of going to parties as smurfs?

I mean look at the movie "white chicks" two black guys play white girls? Do I find that racist as a white person? Nope not at all. In fact I was watching it last night and I think its absolutely hilarious film. if we cant deem that as racist then why is the race card getting played here by some peoples on social media?

On 12/20/2017 at 06:29, Jon said:

White people 'blacking up' to mock a black person (which is what has hapeened here) is pretty racist in my book.  

So then white chicks the movie is racist in your eyes also? 

Edited by Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Exactly! 

How long do we have to let history dictate to us what's right and wrong these days. Times have changed and we've moved on so much from all of that. I honestly think this race card will still be played in a thousand years. 

Are you seriously suggesting that there are not issues that still abound to do with race?

8 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Are you seriously suggesting that there are not issues that still abound to do with race?

Never said there weren't any issues around still, but we've moved on massively. Are there any incidents of the white race being persecuted? The point that's already been made is that we need to stop being so easily offended over  something so stupid. Some people like to get offended for the sake of it though. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

34 minutes ago, omariqy said:

For me Griezmann wasn't being racist at all (no idea on the bloke from the darts - probably a massive racist tbf). However, the action itself is historically racist and that's why it should be left well alone. Ultimately it is up to black people themselves to decide whether they find it offensive or not and that will be an individual choice. The majority of my black mates find it offensive. So I will leave it to them to decide for themselves. One thing that does strike me about Abbott is that she gets absolutely crucified for getting the numbers wrong and rightly so. However, people like Boris Johnson, David Davis, Gove, Hammond, Bradley, Rudd etc make massive blunders they do not get the same level of abuse. Yes they are crticised but not to the same level of hatred and disdain. Ultimately, I believe, that this is because Abbot is black and the way she looks. Let's not forget Abbott has done some amazing things to get to where she has got to (I don't mean Corbyn). She has fought prejudice, racism and the system. She has made amazing speeches and done amazing things for her constituency. None of those aforementioned have done anything of note. They are, for the main, career politicians who have contributed very little to society.  

I suppose that depends on your political viewpoint.  To me Abbott is a moronic, hypocritical racist, completely unfit to be [shadow] Home Secretary.  She's only outdone in the unfit-for-their-roles stakes by David Davis and John McDonnell.

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Are there any incidents of the white race being persecuted?

As you're the one volunteering this as a comeback to my question then perhaps you ought to give examples and outline your ideas of how, where and when 'the white race' is being or has been persecuted?

37 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

you need to have a look in the Tory thread :) 

Pretty sure none of them have been racially abused. Just today BNP have sent out a Xmas card saying save our white christmas with Diane Abbot dressed as Santa. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, snowychap said:

As you're the one volunteering this as a comeback to my question then perhaps you ought to give examples and outline your ideas of how, where and when 'the white race' is being or has been persecuted?

I asked the question because I thought you might of known. I think white people have to carry the burden for things that happened in the past, so in a sense that is persecution.We have to be careful in what's we say and do because it gets slammed down as racist, but it's ok for a black person to do stuff. We can't even fly a flag for fear of being labelled racist. It's ok for a black person to call another black person a nigger, but if a white person did this there would be hell on and rightly so. I find black people just as racist as white people. I find that some of the more unsavoury ones will quickly play the race card which is a disgrace on many levels.

Edited by Rugeley Villa

7 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Pretty sure none of them have been racially abused. Just today BNP have sent out a Xmas card saying save our white christmas with Diane Abbot dressed as Santa. 

No surprise there then. Racists being racist.