Racism

Brumerican

When I was at primary school we had a jokes day. The week prior to it, we had to go to the school secretary, and tell her the joke, and she would write it down. Going off memory this was around 1990-91. The winner got a prize of some sort. Anyway, me and my mate had a couple of jokes, one about a black man, and the other about a Pakistani. Can't remember where we got them from, but always remember people asking us to tell them people, for example, someone would say "tell your aunty deb that joke" and she would piss herself laughing, everyone did. We went and told the school secretary, and she happily wrote them down, and put them in the school competition. How times have changed, regarding that type of thing. 

Just now, Xela said:

It was always "An Englishman, a Scotsman and an Irishman" jokes when I was a kid.

My daughter heard one of those at school the other month and told it to me .... the punchline being it’s the englishman that is now the butt of the jokes rather than the Irishman , tbf her friend that told her is Irish 

ok  I get that the Irish aren’t going to tell a joke that’s at their expense  but then that promotes the Jock to the butt of the joke surely ? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

go on, I'm intrigued

I can't remember them to the word, but they are definitely racist, and it would be wrong to repeat them. Not sure about now, because he's softened up a bit, but up until I was in my early 20s, my grandad would not allow black people in the house. 

Yes it is definitely a regrettable way to protest what was almost certainly a mistake, one where the image was withdrawn an apology quickly issued. 

On the other hand it disputes the often quoted narrative that “only ‘social justice warriors’ on the internet get upset by this sort of thing whilst actual members of the minority group are not bothered”. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

An American pal of mine just messaged me saying "Why have you never told me about Love Thy Neighbour! That show is ridiculous!".

I went on YouTube to find an Alf Garnett clip so he could see that it wasn't a one-off, and found this.  I remember being allowed to watch this show when I was a nipper.  I can't imagine letting my kids watch it.  It's horrible!