Racism

Brumerican

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

He literally has a handmade sign. He could have had the same sign, but with a printed picture of Abbott, and the same numbers, and then the joke would have been about her inability to count. It wouldn't have been any funnier, but then it wasn't funny in the first place. 

By blacking up, he made the joke about her race. 

So who have you come as ... myself but I’ve got a card with 190 on it and a picture of Diane Abbott on the table beside me ...snicker snicker 

By blacking up he made the joke about Diane Abbott who happens to be a black person ....who can’t count 

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

So who have you come as ... myself but I’ve got a card with 190 on it and a picture of Diane Abbott on the table beside me ...snicker snicker 

By blacking up he made the joke about Diane Abbott who happens to be a black person ....who can’t count 

Yes, it's the difference between a shit joke and a shit racist joke which is going to cause him no end of grief. 

Probably would have been better to try a funny joke. 

• Like 1

The only people who gave interviews that were anywhere near as toe-curlingly awful as Abbott were Johnson and Corbyn, both of whom received their fair share of piss taking for them.  Neither were anywhere near as bad as Abbott though.  

• Like 1

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, it's the difference between a shit joke and a shit racist joke which is going to cause him no end of grief. 

It was funny.

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Only to posh white boys who like to play divide and rule 

Funny in the same way as people dressing up as Nazis.   When it is explained to them, they usually issue an apology.  It's not possible to tell if the apology is genuine, of course, but they do it.

By the way, your divide and rule comment missed the chance to make an arithmetic-based joke, if indeed this is what this is about.  Or was that the joke, expressed so subtly it has transcended my understanding?

• Like 1

I’m not a fan of it, I can see why people would be offended by it.

Just out of interest, would it be fair to say that if he had dressed up as Abbot, red dress, wig etc but worn a cardboard face mask of her instead of using make up, that would have been less offensive?

People blacking up doesn't offend me, then again not much does offend me, I'll laugh at jokes about black people, Japanese people, white people, Irish people, american people, ginger people...anyone really.

Maybe I'm going to hell, maybe I'm just an emotional cripple, either way if I find something funny I laugh at it and don't feel bad about it.

P.S. I didn't actually find the Dianne Abbot joke funny.

24 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

If you ever  meet Michael McIntyre  can you pass on the same advice ...

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Just out of interest, would it be fair to say that if he had dressed up as Abbot, red dress, wig etc but worn a cardboard face mask of her instead of using make up, that would have been less offensive?

i’d have said so yeah. It’s the connotations of “blacking up” and making the colour a part of the joke that’s the problem.

11 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I'd say it depends what he's trying to do.  If he wants to make a joke about the financial illiteracy of MPs then perhaps choosing the most financially illiterate would be a good start.

If he wants to make a joke against himself, on the lines of "I'm so stupid that I mimic the memes of the Daily Mail with no sense of irony or self-reflection,  and I'm a racist shit to boot", then he's doing well.  But I doubt that was his intention.

• Like 1

It's not just Abbott, of course.

David Lammy has insisted he will not be intimidated after he received an email accusing him of striving for black supremacy in the UK and warning him he could suffer the same fate as murdered MP Jo Cox.

A spokesman for Lammy, the Labour MP for Tottenham, who shared an image of the email in a tweet, said the matter had been reported to police. The message, sent to Lammy on Tuesday morning, offered what its sender described as a “friendly warning”.

It went on: “As you attack the White population of Britain in your aims to gain Black Supremacy in this country, remember what happened to Jo Cox. I AM NOT ONE OF THEM but there are those out there who would like to see you suffer the same fate. Be careful!!”

Criticising the ethnic balance of the judiciary.  I think the word is "uppity", isn't it?

On 19/12/2017 at 13:29, lapal_fan said:

And yet in 2008, everyone thought it fine enough to "blackface" Robert Downey Jr up for Tropic Thunder, less than 10 years ago.

When did the goal posts move? I didn't catch that memo.

I know the conversation has moved on, but wasn’t the joke in that movie that it WAS racist?

• Like 3