Racism

Brumerican

50 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

The thread ended when someone posted this video tbh

No it didn’t. He started off by making some salient points, but then makes loads of sweeping generalisations at the end which dilute the message he’s trying to get across.

6 hours ago, PompeyVillan said:

In this instance you can't separate the two because of the nature of the caricature. It's a problematic portrayal of Diane Abbott, one in which the racists who abuse her will heartily approve. That's where the criticism stems from. 

At best it's ill advised and ignorant, at worst it's outright racist. I'll pin it ignorant and desperate for attention. And not funny. 

This. Make your point in a more clever way, and without running into dicey racial territory. And if you're not educated on it, get educated, it's almost 2018 FFS.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

I wish someone could track the darts dude down via social media and send him a link to this thread.

I reckon he'd issue an apology whilst being utterly baffled at how it has escalated.

He shouldn't have to apologise, he's done nowt wrong. 

Ps, providing there was no racial or political intent by the person involved. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere but H&M caused a social media storm today after releasing a new marketing campaign using a black child modelling a hoodie with "coolest monkey in the jungle" on the front

theyve had to apologise and pull it

someone in marketing should know better but come on...that's looking for something that isn't there imo 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere but H&M caused a social media storm today after releasing a new marketing campaign using a black child modelling a hoodie with "coolest monkey in the jungle" on the front

theyve had to apologise and pull it

someone in marketing should know better but come on...that's looking for something that isn't there imo 

I suspect someone in marketing thought  as everyone else is doing it ,  it will be good to show how diverse we are as a company so let’s get a black kid to model our hoodie ... 

im sure it was 0% racist intent , but no way social media was going to pass up the chance for some outrage 

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Seems like unorganised and bad PR then racism to me 

that's just compounding the problem.

Disorganisation & bad PR. If that's not bad enough, they've then thrown in some racism for good measure!! :P;)

Just now, Stevo985 said:

But to be honest I find it more racist that people are offended by it. They're the ones associating "monkey" with a black child.

I think history and oppression are doing that.

That's the line you trot out now in defence of this shit Ben. "You have no right to get offended because you are not black". Jeez. I'm not offended by it, but I can see why it was wrong, and why it has been withdrawn. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jon said:

I think history and oppression are doing that.

That's the line you trot out now in defence of this shit Ben. "You have no right to get offended because you are not black". Jeez. I'm not offended by it, but I can see why it was wrong, and why it has been withdrawn. 

Read my previous posts in this thread and you'll see that's not my view on these things.

I just personally don't think that hoodie on a black child is offensive. I can see why it's been withdrawn and don't disagree with that action, but on the other hand wouldn't have been surprised if that particular advert had been run and nobody had noticed a thing.

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But to be honest I find it more racist that people are offended by it. They're the ones associating "monkey" with a black child.

That's rubbish.

There is no blank slate, here. Consideration of the history of the kind of language that has been used in a pejorative way against black people is not 'being racist'.

It's not just 'monkey' that is the issue in the slogan. Jungle is, too. Swap out bunny for monkey and I dare say it might be considered a shade worse by some people.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Jon said:

5a53a224fc7e93825a8b4567.jpg

Rightly withdrawn.

The advert or the product ( as they’ve also withdrawn that )

they are right to pull the advert , they made a mistake , it’s been pointed out why it offends and they’ve pulled it.. I don’t personally believe H and M marketing went into a brain storming session and said I know let’s make a racist advertising campaign , so naive mistake , apology accepted and let’s move on 

but I don’t see why they’ve pulled the product , kids in general have been called “little monkeys “ for donkeys years with no racial connotations  

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Jon said:

5a53a224fc7e93825a8b4567.jpg

Rightly withdrawn.

I think its cool that they chose a black kid to advertise this just a shame about the word.

But then you have to ask yourself did the parents notice this?  If they did they didnt find it racist? 

14 minutes ago, snowychap said:

That's rubbish.

There is no blank slate, here. Consideration of the history of the kind of language that has been used in a pejorative way against black people is not 'being racist'.

It's not just 'monkey' that is the issue in the slogan. Jungle is, too. Swap out bunny for monkey and I dare say it might be considered a shade worse by some people.

Fair enough.

I don't see it that way but understand the point.

Personally if I saw a black child dressed in that hoody I wouldn't think anything of it.
If someone then said "they shouldn't have 'monkey' written on that black child's hoody" I'd be more offended by them making that connection than the hoody itself.

But that's my personal view, as I've already said, I understand the withdrawal of the advert (not the product) and why it's been done.

I think the problem here is;

1. Do we acknowledge the past and connotations associated with these words/phrases

Or 2. Be progressive and not let the past dictate what we should or should not do now or in the future. 

If everyone is equal then there is nothing wrong with it.  If you're aware of past prejudices, then obviously there is scope for upset.

That said, i doubt a 6 year old black or white kid is aware of anything wrong with that advert.

It's one of those things where you're probably waiting for 20th century people to die out and the meaning is diluted.

• Like 1