January transfer window 2018

Jareth

With McCormack having issues getting to work again down under it seems it might be a bit much to hope he's coming back with his head straight. But he will be back in January.

Who knows when we might see Hogan, Agbonlahor or RHM back but for various reasons it's difficult to hang our hats on them walking straight into the team and start banging the goals in.

If Kodjia is out for months again then lets just hope he gets back fully fit this time.

In an ideal world we'd get some help in for Davis imo. We have a few 'secondary strikers' there on the injury list. Another target man would do us great. Last thing we need is a big man for the sake of it though. Gestede for instance was one of the worst players I think I've ever seen play for us.

Richards, Elphick, Bunn, Tshibola, Gardner (if returned), McCormack and Agbonlahor are all surplus to requirements for me. Hutton can always go a couple of months early, if not Bree could head out on loan if he's not geting a game here. Lyden and/or some of the youngsters could head out on loan though admittedly that's more about experience and regular game time than saving any serious money.

Id agree that we must be able to scrape a few million together. Surely someone would buy one of De Laet, Bree, Bjarnasson, Elphick, Richards! 

A striker loan/purchase could be all the difference for us. Davies seems to be about 50/50 whether he is on or off, similar for Onomah. When they are on we play well when they aren't we don't. In addition to being generally solid, at the moment we have players with a moment of quality to see us through games but it's difficult to see that working all season and I hope it doesn't cost us when it matters most. 

Davies needs support and I'm pretty sure Bruce will know that as well as anyone.

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Why? 

Like I said. I don't believe we can rely on winning ugly to definitely get us up. And it is imperative that we go up. Hence I think he needs to improve the performances to be absolutely sure we will go up.

40 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

They’ve no chance. They could afford McCormack on loan in the summer!

Jesus, and they think they have it bad now....imagine the state of them if they had pulled that one off!

2 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Like I said. I don't believe we can rely on winning ugly to definitely get us up. And it is imperative that we go up. Hence I think he needs to improve the performances to be absolutely sure we will go up.

We don't just 'win ugly' though, you do we? We seem to be able to win in all sorts of ways. Win big, win comfortably and win ugly. 

It does seem most of our 'ugly' wins are at home which is maybe skewing opinions on this. In a bizarre twist of fate we're playing much better football away from home. 

4 hours ago, Nigel said:

Jesus, and they think they have it bad now....imagine the state of them if they had pulled that one off!

3 hours ago, dounavilla said:

300px-KennethWilliams.jpg

Sounds like a whitewash to me 

On 21/11/2017 at 12:32, sne said:

Olof Mellberg has just left Brommapojkarna along with his right hand man Azrudin Valentic.

Perhaps we should look to bring them in as assistant and coach to help out?

Get them working here, and then when the time is right and they are ready...

Yes I know, won't happen.

I predict they have been poached by a bigger club which is very unsurprising with the success they have had. 

If they continue to do well at that bigger club we have our Bruce replacement, timing could be perfect. 

35 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I predict they have been poached by a bigger club which is very unsurprising with the success they have had. 

If they continue to do well at that bigger club we have our Bruce replacement, timing could be perfect. 

Thing is, If Olof does turn out to be a good manager, I feel pretty confident this Villa hero will become our manager at some point.

Ideally if we brought in someone in January, especially a striker. I'd like someone who isn't so rusty that he'd need 5-10 games to get back to match form..

Austin has 138 minutes this season.

Ulloa 143 

Walters has 70

Not poo-pooing on the idea, just saying it's a bit of a gamble, especially since it's not uncommon for players to pick up injuries when they've not played much.

And with that said, how bout Iheanacho or Guidetti on loan :D Neither is getting the play time they wan't and both will want to impress their national managers ahead of the WC

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, sne said:

Ideally if we brought in someone in January, especially a striker. I'd like someone who isn't so rusty that he'd need 5-10 games to get back to match form..

Austin has 138 minutes this season.

Ulloa 143 

Walters has 70

Not poo-pooing on the idea, just saying it's a bit of a gamble, especially since it's not uncommon for players to pick up injuries when they've not played much.

And with that said, how bout Iheanacho or Guidetti on loan :D Neither is getting the play time they wan't and both will want to impress their national managers ahead of the WC

I was about to type the same. We keep throwing out names of players that used to be good, but for whatever reason have not played much in a while. We need to be careful with that type of purchase, because for every Terry you may pick up, there are lots more Richards/Ireland types who don't have the hunger/physicality or desire anymore to start performing again after a long spell of benchwarming.