January transfer window 2018

Jareth

Davis has been geat this season and is vital to our sytle of play, but he's still young and inconsistency is to be expected and when he isn't on it we look poor. So i think another more experienced hold up player is a must. 

I wouldn't be adverse to Crouch or Ulloa.

Unless we somehow get the opportunity to bring in someone exceptional or to make a very very good deal financially on a striker, I think any striker we bring in this January should be a loan with option to buy.

We cant afford to pay big or to be sitting on yet another Championship level striker after this season or on someone who will not cut it in the PL. We already have 3 of those that we payed almost £45m for.

No matter is we are promoted or not.

39 minutes ago, sne said:

Unless we somehow get the opportunity to bring in someone exceptional or to make a very very good deal financially on a striker, I think any striker we bring in this January should be a loan with option to buy.

We cant afford to pay big or to be sitting on yet another Championship level striker after this season or on someone who will not cut it in the PL. We already have 3 of those that we payed almost £45m for.

No matter is we are promoted or not.

Not sure i agree entirely with that, though i do share the same concern. It depends on the player i think. 

Lets use Gayle as an example as he has been mentioned in the thread. He fired Newcastle to promotion, he is clearly a cut above at this level, but its also probably fair to say he isn't cut out for the PL. So whats to say we can't do exactly what Newcastle did? Buy the kid to a do a job in the Championship and if he still doesn't cut it in the PL (should we get there) sell him to a championship club. With more and more money comimg into the game, and taking into account his record at this level, i don't think we would be short of offers. 

18 minutes ago, av1 said:

Not sure i agree entirely with that, though i do share the same concern. It depends on the player i think. 

Lets use Gayle as an example as he has been mentioned in the thread. He fired Newcastle to promotion, he is clearly a cut above at this level, but its also probably fair to say he isn't cut out for the PL. So whats to say we can't do exactly what Newcastle did? Buy the kid to a do a job in the Championship and if he still doesn't cut it in the PL (should we get there) sell him to a championship club. With more and more money comimg into the game, and taking into account his record at this level, i don't think we would be short of offers. 

As I said, under the right circumstances we can bring someone in.

Let's say Gayle, that's £10-15m?

We then have Kodija £11-15m, Hogan £14m and McCormack £12m and Davis (who is the best and cheapest option atm)

That is a h**l of a financial gamble to take. If we're promoted great, we can offset the money we lose on these transfer, no worry. Hogan we're lucky to get £6-7m, McGatemack is a £10 m loss and Kodija we might bet about what we paid if we're lucky.

If not promoted, we are screwed. Add another £10-15 m signing and were Portsmouth level screwed.

Gayle should be on loan with option to sign IMO if we're after him.

Edit: Also isn't Gayle and (pre-Aston Villa) Hogan somewhat similar? Especially now with Gayle's confidence probably also shot to bits?

Edited by sne

How long does Ulloa have left on his contract at Leicester?

He was good for Brighton at this level. Dunno if he'd drop down again but he's well down the strikers pecking order at Leicester so loan deal until end of the season could suit everyone I reckon.

I would be very surprised if we spend much this Jan if anything, I really don’t think we can and I can’t see we will raise funds this window. Unless the money from Amavi now comes into play.

We are definitely light up front which is crazy given the money we’ve spunked in forwards the last 18 months.

I have to say Bruce doesn’t have a good record when it comes to buying strikers so a loan might be best all round.

• Like 3