January transfer window 2018

Jareth

7 hours ago, lexicon said:

Plus seeing as you're Czech and we've not exactly had much luck with their players - Baros, Kozak, Berger, Drobny etc. I think you're hoping for someone to redeem your country? :)

Baros got me to support VIlla so something good came from that signing!

But yea I am well aware of our back luck streak with Czech players. Kozak was unfortunate because he seemed like he can be decent before his injuries. 

But I actually think Krmencik would suit us well. We need a big target man to play Bruce ball. 

• Like 2

On 11/17/2017 at 14:02, lexicon said:

Thanks for the info - I'm not clued up on Brentford at all really, so was playing devil's advocate more than anything else for the sake of discussion. Sounds like they've got a similar model to Swansea in that respect - or quite a few teams who don't bank on players staying of they turn into big stars (like Borussia Dortmund). 

I'd be perfectly happy with a model like that tbf. It's a good one to have in the modern game. 

It's not an easy one for a club like Aston Villa to implement. It can be incredibly painful and it can take a long time, would you accept another few years in the championship while we built from the bottom up in order to get it right? Or worse, a drop to league one?

As far as we know something like this is going on in the background, this is Steve Round's remit. But to expect it at the big league level overnight is the stuff of fantasy for us. We're not Brentford, or Swansea, the supporters as much as they claim the opposite wouldn't have it. Our fans boo when we're 1-0 down at half time ffs.

Disclaimer - I'm not saying you are expecting it. 

I have totally ignored the Preeemiership this year. 

Are there any half decent strikers not getting games who might consider dropping down to play for us? 

I wonder if we can get JT into someone's ear. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Are there any half decent strikers not getting games who might consider dropping down to play for us? 

Not getting games include Benik Afobe, Dwight Gayle, Leonardo Ulloa also read Southampton may want to sell Austin, Long and Gabbadiani 

50 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

Not getting games include Benik Afobe, Dwight Gayle, Leonardo Ulloa also read Southampton may want to sell Austin, Long and Gabbadiani 

Was great in his Sunderland days but I think even by our standards he's probably a tad long in the tooth now :D

Edited by sidcow

3 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It's not an easy one for a club like Aston Villa to implement. It can be incredibly painful and it can take a long time, would you accept another few years in the championship while we built from the bottom up in order to get it right? Or worse, a drop to league one?

As far as we know something like this is going on in the background, this is Steve Round's remit. But to expect it at the big league level overnight is the stuff of fantasy for us. We're not Brentford, or Swansea, the supporters as much as they claim the opposite wouldn't have it. Our fans boo when we're 1-0 down at half time ffs.

Disclaimer - I'm not saying you are expecting it. 

I honestly wouldn't mind spending another year in the Championship. It's been a hell of a lot more enjoyable for me than the prem because we can regularly win games for a change.  

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I honestly wouldn't mind spending another year in the Championship. It's been a hell of a lot more enjoyable for me than the prem because we can regularly win games for a change.  

The premier league is the pinnacle but it hasn’t been too bad down here. I wouldnt be too bothered if we had another season here as long as we were competitive. The biggest problem is ending of parachute payments.

19 hours ago, sidcow said:

Peter Crouch maybe

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lexicon said:

I get what you mean, but we have been competitive largely because of Tony's funding. If we stay down here for longer, we might go the way of Blues. FFP will catch up to us, and we might find ourselves closer to league 1 than premier league.

17 hours ago, lexicon said:

If it didn't have wider ramifications I'd agree with you.

Sadly one more season down here could mean years before we can even consider getting back to the top.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

I get what you mean, but we have been competitive largely because of Tony's funding. If we stay down here for longer, we might go the way of Blues. FFP will catch up to us, and we might find ourselves closer to league 1 than premier league.

14 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

If it didn't have wider ramifications I'd agree with you.

Sadly one more season down here could mean years before we can even consider getting back to the top.

Yeah you're both right there - more wishful thinking than reality. In any case, it's going to be a struggle. 

On 19/11/2017 at 16:05, Jareth said:

I think we need another player like Davis, an older more experienced version who can share that role over the rest of the season.

I saw Regis on TV the other day maybe he fancies a crack.

If not, there‘s always Andy Lochhead

I think we need another player like Davis, an older more experienced version who can share that role over the rest of the season.