January transfer window 2018

Jareth

1 hour ago, sne said:

Ideally if we brought in someone in January, especially a striker. I'd like someone who isn't so rusty that he'd need 5-10 games to get back to match form..

Austin has 138 minutes this season.

Ulloa 143 

Walters has 70

Not poo-pooing on the idea, just saying it's a bit of a gamble, especially since it's not uncommon for players to pick up injuries when they've not played much.

And with that said, how bout Iheanacho or Guidetti on loan :D Neither is getting the play time they wan't and both will want to impress their national managers ahead of the WC

It's a good point to be fair.  Danny Ings is another, who would be a risk and probably need 10 games plus to start looking like a real player again.  Iheanacho would be a fantastic loan signing, but not sure if he would be a realistic option?   Clearly, we need a forward player though. 

13 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Iheanacho would be a fantastic loan signing, but not sure if he would be a realistic option?  

He wouldn't be. I doubt they are ready to cut their losses just yet after having wasted £25m on him. 

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

He wouldn't be. I doubt they are ready to cut their losses just yet after having wasted £25m on him. 

You think they wasted £25m on him? In my opinion, he's a great striker with huge potential, I'm positive that he'll come good for them, he's only been there for a few months 

3 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

It's a good point to be fair.  Danny Ings is another, who would be a risk and probably need 10 games plus to start looking like a real player again.  Iheanacho would be a fantastic loan signing, but not sure if he would be a realistic option?   Clearly, we need a forward player though. 

Ings is a good shout but whether he'd come here is another matter altogether 

• Like 1

On 22/11/2017 at 15:09, VILLAMARV said:

Richards, Elphick, Bunn, Tshibola, Gardner (if returned), McCormack and Agbonlahor are all surplus to requirements for me. Hutton can always go a couple of months early, Bree could head out on loan if he's not geting a game here. Lyden and/or some of the youngsters could head out on loan though admittedly that's more about experience and regular game time than saving any serious money.

I agree with most of this but believe we should leave Hutton until the end if the season as cannot fault his performances so far this last few months.

As for the rest Bunn, Elphick, Bree, Richards, Tshihbola, McCormack, Agbonlahor, Hogan, Lyden & Gardner are all surplus and need to be shown the door come January where possible.

We might be lucky to free up £11m in fee's and a massive chunk off the wages too.

23 hours ago, sidcow said:

I predict they have been poached by a bigger club which is very unsurprising with the success they have had. 

If they continue to do well at that bigger club we have our Bruce replacement, timing could be perfect. 

They will only be at the bigger club until June then?

12 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I agree with most of this but believe we should leave Hutton until the end if the season as cannot fault his performances so far this last few months.

As for the rest Bunn, Elphick, Bree, Richards, Tshihbola, McCormack, Agbonlahor, Hogan, Lyden & Gardner are all surplus and need to be shown the door come January where possible.

We might be lucky to free up £11m in fee's and a massive chunk off the wages too.

I have no problem with Hutton's recent performances to be fair to him. Just with my 'best scenario' we have a player with a few months left on his contract with 3 other players for his position and he's probably the highest paid of the 4.

In reality of course I feel Hutton, Bunn and Gabby are going nowhere (at least until the summer), Richards is going to sit out his contract, Gardner is still on loan at Barnsley (unsurprisingly injured though) so unless they are able to return him and choose to my point was/is pure speculation anyway. If Hutton's staying and Bruce feels RDL is fit enough then maybe Bree could go out on loan. Surely Lyden or Tshibola are heading out on loan if we have any takers.

That's not going to save us much though, FFP wise, and it leaves us looking at Elphick, McCormack and Hogan.

I just can't see us cashing in on Hogan, nor do I think it would be that wise. He's been a disappointment so far but I think it's much more likely we'll be actively trying to sell McCormack - although having played in the league cup what are the rules about playing for 2 clubs in the same season exactly? And who in their right mind is going to pay out money for him?

Elphick might go imo. After that, like was said a few pages back, whether the Amavi money comes into play or was paying bills is probably a more pertinent question.

As I write all that down though I realise that 'spine' of RDM's really does look ripe for selling - Elphick, Tshibola, McCormack - and Gollini will be back in the summer! I wonder what the outlay/return will be on that sorry lot.

Just had a think about all the Prem Strikers that have been discussed in the last few pages, plus a few more who are not getting much game time.  Thoughts below, they'd all be loan options obviously, some much less likely ones in the second half of my list, or are they? ;)...

Ings - Really liked him at Burnley and he clearly had something for Liverpool to take a punt.  Pretty decent in the air for a small man too - bit more robust and an all-rounder than Hogan, so i think he could work out despite not being precisely in the mold we're probably looking.  Would love him to come here.

Crouch - Can only see it if he wants to force the move.  Think Hughes still likes him as a bench option and you've can't blame him.

Julien Ngoy - Young Belgian lad at Stoke who isn't getting a look in for them right now, but he's potentially another diamond in the rough like Davis.  He's of a similar build and type from the looks of it.  

Burnley strikers x 3 - They pretty much always play one upfront, and that's going to be Woods once he's fully fit.  That leaves Barnes, Vokes and Nakhi Wells (just returned from an injury which has kept him sidelined since his transfer there).  Can't see all 3 of them fighting out for the 2nd choice striker position on the bench.  

Ulloa - perfect to swap in and out with Davis, but not sure what his deal is?  If I was him and behind Slimani and Ihanacho, I'd be itching to go out on loan somewhere.  I'd take either of those other two in a heart beat btw but that just aint gonna happen.

Wilfred Bony? - Highly unlikely but the guy seems to be having a nightmare loss of form since his city move didn't work out.  So long as he's fit, he could tare up the Championship for a few months to get him back firing again no?

Stefano Okaka - Probably wouldn't be willing to drop a division, but he's not getting a look in with Watford right now and he fits that 'powerful front man' role perfectly.

Mitrovic - Point to prove, had a couple of seasons to settle into English football now.   1/2 a season back in the Championship to get some confidence. Would Newcastle loan to us?

Austin - No thanks, not with our luck.  We can't afford to take a risk on Mr Glass.

Long - Don't think so.  He's still getting decent minutes for Southampton at the moment and at his age you don't want to be dropping a division when you're still as involved as he is.

Berahino - :trollface:

Edited by GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS
formatting

19 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Ings is a good shout but whether he'd come here is another matter altogether 

Ings would be a no for me. He has barely played competitive football for two seasons after a fairly serious injury, I wouldn't want to put our promotion hopes on him coming good over a half season loan.

personally, by the time January rolls round, the players will be nearly fit by then, so will they take a punt................ 

If they do take a punt, its gotta be someone who is going straight in the 11............... Dwight Gayle for me, gives us a bit of what we havent got............ Ulloa not a bad shout - is Glenn Murray getting games at Brighton?? 

Would bruce get his old protege from Hull, Hernandez?

28 minutes ago, Adbo9 said:

personally, by the time January rolls round, the players will be nearly fit by then, so will they take a punt................ 

If they do take a punt, its gotta be someone who is going straight in the 11............... Dwight Gayle for me, gives us a bit of what we havent got............ Ulloa not a bad shout - is Glenn Murray getting games at Brighton?? 

Would bruce get his old protege from Hull, Hernandez?

I thought about Hernandez the other day and was going to suggest him myself as he is coming to the end of his contract. I googled him to see how he was doing, and he suffered a serious achilles injury in August.

Crouch all day long - has been scoring and would be ready to go. Can't see why anyone would stand in his way if he was offered a good deal at Villa, given his contract situation and his age. Also we may need him in the championship next season too. 

• Like 1

We can't be sure on his availability but I would 100% take Crouch. 

He does a lot of the things Davis does. Maybe not as well, especially without the physicality and his legs aren't there for a full time starting role, but he has the added bonus of being deadly on the end of our set peices. 

The quality of our set peices, whether Snodders or Hourihane, have flown under the radar a bit this season. We should be converting more of them.

• Like 1

Leicester fans on foxestalk absolutely don't rate Ahmed Musa at all! They saying one of the worst strikers they have had in years!

Doesn't bode well if we are apparently interested in him on loan. I would prefer to look at Ulloa as he would fit in better with our style of play

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

Just had a think about all the Prem Strikers that have been discussed in the last few pages, plus a few more who are not getting much game time.  Thoughts below, they'd all be loan options obviously, some much less likely ones in the second half of my list, or are they? ;)...

Ings - Really liked him at Burnley and he clearly had something for Liverpool to take a punt.  Pretty decent in the air for a small man too - bit more robust and an all-rounder than Hogan, so i think he could work out despite not being precisely in the mold we're probably looking.  Would love him to come here.

Crouch - Can only see it if he wants to force the move.  Think Hughes still likes him as a bench option and you've can't blame him.

Julien Ngoy - Young Belgian lad at Stoke who isn't getting a look in for them right now, but he's potentially another diamond in the rough like Davis.  He's of a similar build and type from the looks of it.  

Burnley strikers x 3 - They pretty much always play one upfront, and that's going to be Woods once he's fully fit.  That leaves Barnes, Vokes and Nakhi Wells (just returned from an injury which has kept him sidelined since his transfer there).  Can't see all 3 of them fighting out for the 2nd choice striker position on the bench.  

Ulloa - perfect to swap in and out with Davis, but not sure what his deal is?  If I was him and behind Slimani and Ihanacho, I'd be itching to go out on loan somewhere.  I'd take either of those other two in a heart beat btw but that just aint gonna happen.

Wilfred Bony? - Highly unlikely but the guy seems to be having a nightmare loss of form since his city move didn't work out.  So long as he's fit, he could tare up the Championship for a few months to get him back firing again no?

Stefano Okaka - Probably wouldn't be willing to drop a division, but he's not getting a look in with Watford right now and he fits that 'powerful front man' role perfectly.

Mitrovic - Point to prove, had a couple of seasons to settle into English football now.   1/2 a season back in the Championship to get some confidence. Would Newcastle loan to us?

Austin - No thanks, not with our luck.  We can't afford to take a risk on Mr Glass.

Long - Don't think so.  He's still getting decent minutes for Southampton at the moment and at his age you don't want to be dropping a division when you're still as involved as he is.

Berahino - :trollface:

Crouch, please.....so effective and complete.

Glenn Murray, would do too.

Edited by TRO

Sam Vokes is a shout, what do we think of him? Is he a bit of a Rudy Gestede? He's a bit of a donkey but at this level he is physically dominant. 

I like the idea of Mitrovic most of all but we have a bit of a problem in that anyone we sign is going to know they're not automatically first choice because Davis.