Robert Snodgrass

alreadyexists

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Oh definitely not. I think we're actually agreeing? There is an opening for statisticians to change how they measure assists, or introduce an alternative which I guess they have in more advanced statistics packages not available to the public. Key passes is an odd one, almost too subjective.

I guess that's all I'm getting at.

Oh yeah I’m agreeing that the fact that Snodgrass gets “nothing” for his role in that goal is unfair. I wasn’t trying to suggest anything you said was wrong. It’s just that the assist ( and goals) system will always be misleading. If you want to give snodgrass the assist, do we then give Adomah the goal? 

But to me it just highlights why nobody should be judged on pure stats. That’s why scouts are paid to go and watch games and get a deeper understanding of how effective players are. 

• Like 1

On 2/3/2018 at 17:51, Adam2003 said:

No-one would go to the opera and say “oh well I don’t think they used that soprano right”

I've done exactly this :).  (My youngest is a soprano who sings in the occasional opera at the moment!)

12 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I will be sad to see him go at the end of the season and his loan, if we don’t sign him. I know it’s this level but I think he’s a good enough player to do well in the PL.

I think he's one of 'those' players, like Dwight Gayle.

Too good for the championship but not quite good enough for the PL, tis a conundrum both for the player and prospective clubs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I don't get this myth that he isn't good enough for the Premier League. All because of his West Ham stint?

My opinion is based off what I see, considering he's a wide midfielder he doesn't really have any pace, doesn't really have the trickery either.

Sure, he buys himself a yard of space easily and often enough in the Championship but by definition alone those opportunities would be reduced when you go up a level.

I'm not saying I wouldn't give him the opportunity next season, if he wants to stay here, but there's a decent enough reason he's playing for Villa in the Championship.

• Like 3

Ok. My opinion is based off what I see too, I see a player with transferable skills. To be honest, the defending in the top flight is barely better than the Championship right now too. 

I seem to remember him playing to a high standard for both Norwich and Hull at Premier League level. 19 goals in 84 starts. I don't recall him ever having pace. Food for thought. 

Considering I was too young to really appreciate the success of the teams of the early 80's I'm struggling to really think of many decent right wingers down our way in the last 30 odd years. Houghton the best I can remember. We had a couple of good years out of him. Solano was mint. Albeit a brief stay. Milner before he moved inside. After then all I can remember is the likes of Albrighton, Birch and Stone? Maybe I'm lacking in memory but I feel we quite often pushed more central players, people like Taylor or Boateng out there or had players we think of as strikers like Yorke or Atkinson at times basically filling in.

Whereas down the left since the Morley days we've had the likes of Walters, Daley and Young covering about 20 years between them and Barry out there for a few years, even a bit of Ginola along the way.

4 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Considering I was too young to really appreciate the success of the teams of the early 80's I'm struggling to really think of many decent right wingers down our way in the last 30 odd years. Houghton the best I can remember. We had a couple of good years out of him. Solano was mint. Albeit a brief stay. Milner before he moved inside. After then all I can remember is the likes of Albrighton, Birch and Stone? Maybe I'm lacking in memory but I feel we quite often pushed more central players, people like Taylor or Boateng out there or had players we think of as strikers like Yorke or Atkinson at times basically filling in.

Whereas down the left since the Morley days we've had the likes of Walters, Daley and Young covering about 20 years between them and Barry out there for a few years, even a bit of Ginola along the way.

• Didier Six
  • Tony Morley
  • Willie Anderson
  • Harry Burrows
  • John MacLeod
  • Mick Ferguson

I'll leave a few more for others

On 2/4/2018 at 19:55, dont_do_it_doug. said:

That pass to Adomah makes a mockery of the assist system, there needs to be some subjectivity to it. I'm giving it to him anyway and there's not a thing you can do to stop me

I gave him MOTM largely for that pass alone. 

Moyes wanted him back, if he wasnt premier league quality then he wouldn't have tried his hardest to get him back. i think we have option to sign him for 10.1m in summer. i think that is good fee if you think how much players are going for nowdays 

surely he will be in the Scotland squad with this form? 

Â