Robert Snodgrass

alreadyexists

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Astonished at the amount of people having to 'eat humble pie'. Not just in here, I met a bloke in the Premier Inn bar last night who said the same. 

Sure, at one point I thought he should have been dropped for O'Hare, but did you really think he was that bad? 

I never thought he was that bad,  but after his first half a dozen games, I just couldn't see what he was bringing to the table. Looked sluggish and off the pace. He didn't seem to be offering a lot of quality.

It was obviously just match fitness and a case of getting back into playing regularly and he's been class since. Should've known better. 

Edited by wazzap24

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think people were expecting what we are seeing now. That is why many were disappointed at first. 

I think people should have had the common sense to understand that he'd barely played for West Ham and was seriously lacking in match fitness and it would take a good run of games to get him close to the proper Snodgrass we knew for Hull in the Premier League.

It's the modern day era of football that I hate, no sense of perspective or patience, it has to be now, now, now. That's why I try and avoid message boards around/after game time as x player is either crap or brilliant these days. 

The guy has been a quality player for years, not sure why it was such a mystery that it'd take time to build him back up. He was wheezing first half of games at the start, you can't judge a player when his lack of match fitness is that low. 

• Like 2

Just to throw a wrench.  His goal was great.  But he isn’t very speedy and he makes too many bad passes.  He’s solid, I’m glad we have him.  Wouldn’t play anyone else in our squad at right mid unless he’s hurt.  But he’s not quite the world beater the last few pages make him out to be.  ( or the bumbling oaf the previous 20 made him out to be)

• Like 2

He has been one our most effective and influential midfielders for most of this season.

He reads and plays the game well and his added nous of winning us free kicks in vital times and areas of the game are priceless at times too.

He is an asset to have at such a key time for us.

• Like 2

Just one of them goals we'll be replaying for years and years if we go up. It was simply one of those goals that define an era for a club. Don't care what you think about the game or the player, that goal went down in history the second it nestled itself in the bramall lane netting.

Welcome to the villa park history books, Robert Snodgrass

22 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Just one of them goals we'll be replaying for years and years if we go up. It was simply one of those goals that define an era for a club. Don't care what you think about the game or the player, that goal went down in history the second it nestled itself in the bramall lane netting.

Welcome to the villa park history books, Robert Snodgrass

It was top drawer wasn't it.

I must admit the the same feeling that the minute that hit the net also hit a defining moment for this club moving forward.

9 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Just to throw a wrench.  His goal was great.  But he isn’t very speedy and he makes too many bad passes.  He’s solid, I’m glad we have him.  Wouldn’t play anyone else in our squad at right mid unless he’s hurt.  But he’s not quite the world beater the last few pages make him out to be.  ( or the bumbling oaf the previous 20 made him out to be)

World beater is an odd term. Not sure anyone is saying that. 

5 games, 4 goals, 2 assists and arguably MOTM in 4 of them. I'd say that's deserving of a bit of hyperbole.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

World beater is an odd term. Not sure anyone is saying that. 

5 games, 4 goals, 2 assists and arguably MOTM in 4 of them. I'd say that's deserving of a bit of hyperbole.

so if I understand you...  You agree with me that he's not a world beater because no one is saying that... I assume that includes you. And you agree with me that this praises in some recent pages has been a bit of hyperbole.  So.  We agree.  Not sure why I thought you were quarreling for a minute.

59 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

so if I understand you...  You agree with me that he's not a world beater because no one is saying that... I assume that includes you. And you agree with me that this praises in some recent pages has been a bit of hyperbole.  So.  We agree.  Not sure why I thought you were quarreling for a minute.

I'm not sure why you thought that either. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, NIVillan said:

Does it compare to Lochhead's header against Bournmouth? (One for the old fogies, Im too young for this as well)

Compares to Ashley youngs winner at Everton and more to me Dennis Mortimer against Liverpool for me - both instilled belief we were on the crest of something good .

48 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Compares to Ashley youngs winner at Everton and more to me Dennis Mortimer against Liverpool for me - both instilled belief we were on the crest of something good .

Yeah I remember Mortimer bursting through, you did start to get excited about the season after that.

Still smiling about that goal. Elmo's run was vital as well as he takes the defender that half a yard away from Snodgrass. Definitely feels like we are nearly there after what has been a horrible half a decade plus.

Edited by Folski

Was sat at a pub with a few mates having accepted a draw after what was a decent performance against a good Sheffield side. We were resorted to half-watching the game at this point and then Snoddy cuts in left and curls that ball beautifully past the keeper into the far-side of the net. We all started screaming like madmen upon seeing that and the joy and instilled belief it gave was absolutely massive. Greatest goal of the season if not for how technical it was but also the timing in the game and the season as a whole. Now let's win the **** league mates! They have my confidence and belief. Proud to be a Villa fan now.

• Like 1

Â