Robert Snodgrass

alreadyexists

3 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

so if I understand you...  You agree with me that he's not a world beater because no one is saying that... I assume that includes you. And you agree with me that this praises in some recent pages has been a bit of hyperbole.  So.  We agree.  Not sure why I thought you were quarreling for a minute.

If he was a 'world-beater' he wouldn't be anywhere near Villa.

So what's the point in highlighting it?

25 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

If he was a 'world-beater' he wouldn't be anywhere near Villa.

So what's the point in highlighting it?

I thought I was clear I thought the praise that recently preceeded my post was over the top.  It was a great goal.  He is a capable but still limited player.  I thought some balance in the discussion would be good.  

I hope he keeps putting 'em in and lives up to some pretty effusive posts.

15 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Just to throw a wrench.  His goal was great.  But he isn’t very speedy and he makes too many bad passes.  He’s solid, I’m glad we have him.  Wouldn’t play anyone else in our squad at right mid unless he’s hurt.  But he’s not quite the world beater the last few pages make him out to be.  ( or the bumbling oaf the previous 20 made him out to be)

Just to wrench your wrench away from you.

His goal wasn't "great", it was **** fantastic and it took us a massive step forward in promotion terms that until that moment had looked beyond the team.

Given that, it is not correct to begin the next sentence "But"...

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

It's a classic example of the know it all fans in modern football. If a player doesn't score a hat trick in the first three games they're shit. We had it with Petrov, who incidentally is a hero now, and we'll have it again. Some people need to realise FM18 is not the same as real life.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

People say he makes bad passes—he seems to me to be one of the few who actually try ambitious passes. When they come off we get goals or chances, but they're not going to work all the time. Losing the ball is part of the game surely—I watch Atletico Madrid a lot and they seem to lose the ball all the time. But they are usually solid and can get the ball back—but they're often looking for a killer pass. 

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 1

On 01/02/2018 at 20:06, NASTY_LEE said:

It's a classic example of the know it all fans in modern football. If a player doesn't score a hat trick in the first three games they're shit. We had it with Petrov, who incidentally is a hero now, and we'll have it again. Some people need to realise FM18 is not the same as real life.

Is it not?

Oh, the developers owe a hell of a lot of compensation then to folk that have purchased it in years gone by then if it is not like the real thing. I have read often that many football clubs in the world actually use the software funny enough.

Does that mean that Gran Turismo is **** all like a driving a car either then?

The ridiculous posts constantly refering to the modern game as not being FM or FIFA are just irrelevant and pathetic really.

EA Co. need sued if this is true.

He's been vital this season.

Someone who has a decent record of goal contribution in the Premier League too. I think he averages 6 per season.

As an average that's pretty good, and I'd point directly to that stat for anyone saying he's championship quality at best.

On 02/02/2018 at 12:32, praisedmambo said:

People say he makes bad passes—he seems to me to be one of the few who actually try ambitious passes. When they come off we get goals or chances, but they're not going to work all the time. 

Like that. What a pass.

On 2/1/2018 at 12:30, briny_ear said:

Just to wrench your wrench away from you.

His goal wasn't "great", it was **** fantastic and it took us a massive step forward in promotion terms that until that moment had looked beyond the team.

Given that, it is not correct to begin the next sentence "But"...

grammar?  you are truly reaching in your efforts to be critical.  Don't hurt yourself.  ;) 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

So he’s gone from “crap” to “vital”? 

He has upped his game, there was a period where he wasn't delivering enough, now he is consistently performing for us and doing what we all knew he could do. I always felt we signed the best right winger in the league when we first brought him on loan however it's not really until the start of this year where he has shown this on a regular basis. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He has upped his game, there was a period where he wasn't delivering enough, now he is consistently performing for us and doing what we all knew he could do. I always felt we signed the best right winger in the league when we first brought him on loan however it's not really until the start of this year where he has shown this on a regular basis. 

Agnew strikes again ?????

Not a Premier League player :rolleyes:

That pass to Adomah makes a mockery of the assist system, there needs to be some subjectivity to it. I'm giving it to him anyway and there's not a thing you can do to stop me, which puts him on 6 goals and 10 assists for the season. 4 goals and 4 assists in his last 6 games. 

I know yesterday's game won't count but it may sway voters - surely player of the month for January? He has been even more influential than Grealish which is saying something. 

3 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Not a Premier League player :rolleyes:

That pass to Adomah makes a mockery of the assist system, there needs to be some subjectivity to it. I'm giving it to him anyway and there's not a thing you can do to stop me, which puts him on 6 goals and 10 assists for the season. 4 goals and 4 assists in his last 6 games. 

I know yesterday's game won't count but it may sway voters - surely player of the month for January? He has been even more influential than Grealish which is saying something. 

I don’t think it makes a mockery of the assist system - it’s just another case showing that stats don’t tell the whole story. I’d like to think that by now people aren’t basing opinions on simple measures such as goals and assists. Hogan gets the goal for tapping the ball into an open goal which also sums up how much simple stats tell us.

Other than that though I agree completely with what you’re saying. Snodgrass has been outstanding recently. I think he’s been able to get back to full fitness and we’re now seeing the player that Bruce wanted. 

Just now, tom_avfc said:

I don’t think it makes a mockery of the assist system - it’s just another case showing that stats don’t tell the whole story. I’d like to think that by now people aren’t basing opinions on simple measures such as goals and assists. Hogan gets the goal for tapping the ball into an open goal which also sums up how much simple stats tell us.

Other than that though I agree completely with what you’re saying. Snodgrass has been outstanding recently. I think he’s been able to get back to full fitness and we’re now seeing the player that Bruce wanted. 

Oh definitely not. I think we're actually agreeing? There is an opening for statisticians to change how they measure assists, or introduce an alternative which I guess they have in more advanced statistics packages not available to the public. Key passes is an odd one, almost too subjective.

I guess that's all I'm getting at.

• Like 1

Â