Glenn Whelan

Jareth

Just now, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

So frustrating to sign another midfielder who is a bit of everything but not great at anything specific.

However, Terry and Whelan are two great spine players and we desperately need a spine. He's not as quality a midfielder as some oldies but he will surely be a worthwhile cover player at the very least. Plus, he won't last long which is good for younger players.

I concur. No doubt it's a good solid signing, but I'm concerned that if we do go up, assuming Terry and Whelan are key players in our promotion, we could be effectively be looking at replacing the 'spine' again when back in the prem

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GodsBarkeep said:

I concur. No doubt it's a good solid signing, but I'm concerned that if we do go up, assuming Terry and Whelan are key players in our promotion, we could be effectively be looking at replacing the 'spine' again when back in the prem

So? What is harder; getting promoted to the PL, or buying two new players? I think I'll worry about it when we get there.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I thought Hourane and Lansbury were supposed to be two the of the most creative midfielders in the league.  

They are. 

Adomah creates chances as well, Grealish has the potential to be as good as anything in this league, RMC is creative too and JK can create for himself. 

I don't know what constitutes 'creative' for everyone else, but as far as I can see we have a group of players who between them can do everything you need. 

We don't need more players, Bruce needs to get the really good ones we already have performing! 

Sorry this is OT. 

Welcome Glenn! Good signing. 

Edited by wazzap24
OT
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Wezbid said:

Johnstone, Bree, Chester, Taylor, Lansbury, Hourihane, Bjarnason, Hogan, Elmohamady, Kodjia, all under 30. What are you whinging about? 

...Terry, Whelan, Samba - all over 33. He's clearly commenting on that?

He is what he is ,he isn't going to give you loads of assists or goals but he will put in a shift tackle ,and protect our back line he is a very solid dependable player and Bruce like this type of player can see him been a vital cog in our promotion push ,will be a decent signing .

2 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

We need players who can break up play and move the ball forward quicker, if Whelan does that then all good. We are literally currently the most predictable team to watch, Walsall marked us out of the game because every pass we made was utterly telegraphed it was so slow and ponderous.

To be fair - we were slow and ponderous because it was our third preseason game. We released the ball a split second faster and that game would have been a white wash. 

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

...Terry, Whelan, Samba - all over 33. He's clearly commenting on that?

Well yes, obviously, the point is when added to all the other names, we're not a grandad squad. Most teams have more over 30's than us. It's hardly a problem when the majority of the players are under 30.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wezbid said:

It's hardly a problem when the majority of the players are under 30.

Some might argue it's the opposite of a problem.

It might be exactly what we need.

• Like 3

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Some might argue it's the opposite of a problem.

It might be exactly what we need.

Indeed. It's all about balance. I suspect last season with Terry and Whelan we wouldn't have lost so many points in the last 5/10 mins of games. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, BigAl said:

He is what he is ,he isn't going to give you loads of assists or goals but he will put in a shift tackle ,and protect our back line he is a very solid dependable player and Bruce like this type of player can see him been a vital cog in our promotion push ,will be a decent signing .

Bruce is not the only one who likes this kind of player.......all the top managers have one.....and furthermore they have always been popular in the past,with the villa park crowd.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bobzy said:

Did you actually read the post I responded to?

Nothing about actually being in for Real Madrid youths.  **** hell :crylaugh: 

You said you'd rather we were in for Madrid youth players than a stoke reject, if I've misunderstood the context then okay but otherwise not really sure wtf you're talking about.

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

You said you'd rather we were in for Madrid youth players than a stoke reject, if I've misunderstood the context then okay but otherwise not really sure wtf you're talking about.

We went for a Barca youth player recently, turned out well. 

• Like 1

Another poor signing. If I had doubts we could get promoted under Bruce before those doubts have been doubled since the signings of Elmohamady and Whelan. Both average at best players who will add very little if anything to what we already have.

6 hours ago, Jareth said:

To be fair - we were slow and ponderous because it was our third preseason game. We released the ball a split second faster and that game would have been a white wash. 

Hopefully that was why.

Last season we were slow and ponderous because we didn't have a system or any patterns to the play and because the players had terrible movement on and off the ball.

Watching good teams they always know where their teammates are going to be when they get the ball so they don't have to stop, look up, move the ball, look for a teammate who isn't marked look down at the ball, get closed down, panic, hoof.

Hopefully Whelan will help in some way in this department.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, villan_007 said:

TBF both are better than any of the A-league dross you've been recommending though

No. I wouldn't have recommended them if I didn't think they would have added something significant.

Edited by Michael118

Just now, Michael118 said:

No. I wouldn't have recommended them if I didn't think they could have added something significant.

But what you think and the facts of the players are two different things. Whelan is a seasoned premier league player. Highly recommended by fans and players a like.

Milligan is currently playing in Dubai and has never played in any league at a decent level. If he was good enough, and somebody really wanted him, the visa would get sorted.

I genuinely have no idea how you see otherwise. But hey that's football.

Â