John Terry

Farlz

31 minutes ago, withes_shin said:

How do we know Bridge and Terry were mates?

Just because you play for the same football team doesn't make you mates - look at Teddy Sheringham and Andy Cole, apparently they couldn't stand each other and never spoke, but on the football pitch made a very impressive partnership.

Is everyone mates with people who they work with?

I'm not mates with everyone I work with. I still wouldn't cheat on my wife with one of their partners or ex partners. 

I think most decent human beings would feel the same. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

It is probably a little shallow of me, but if he plays his part in getting us promoted, I can live with any baggage he may bring with him.

That's where I stand as well.

If he comes in and does a job I will tolerate him.

It's just that based on especially last season I have huge doubts he can still do the job.

Hopefully he can.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I'm not mates with everyone I work with. I still wouldn't cheat on my wife with one of their partners or ex partners. 

I think most decent human beings would feel the same. 

Probably, yes.  Isn't there a divorce rate of something like 40% in the UK typically?  I imagine most (not all!) of those will have involved some sort of cheating.

Personally wouldn't tag John Terry as a "piece of shit" for cheating on his other half.  It isn't nice, but it happens incredibly regularly.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Probably, yes.  Isn't there a divorce rate of something like 40% in the UK typically?  I imagine most (not all!) of those will have involved some sort of cheating.

Personally wouldn't tag John Terry as a "piece of shit" for cheating on his other half.  It isn't nice, but it happens incredibly regularly.

Fair enough. 

For me I think it's a pretty disgusting thing to do, to treat someone you married like that. Just because it happens regularly doesn't make it less so IMO. 

And when you add that to being found guilty of racism by the F.A and other poor incidents it all adds up to a shit of a person in my opinion. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Fair enough. 

For me I think it's a pretty disgusting thing to do, to treat someone you married like that. Just because it happens regularly doesn't make it less so IMO. 

And when you add that to being found guilty of racism by the F.A and other poor incidents it all adds up to a shit of a person in my opinion. 

I think it's exaggerated, the same way it often is with Wayne Rooney/Steven Gerrard/<insert high-profile English player here>.

Of course, being racist would be a completely different thing entirely.  He was found guilty of using racist language by the F.A. (he hasn't denied this) but not-guilty of racism in a court of law.  I guess it depends how you wish to view those conclusions as to whether you decide he is a "piece of shit" or not.

That said, I think a lot of rich footballers are pretty scummy to some extent.  I'd include Terry in this category overall.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think it's exaggerated, the same way it often is with Wayne Rooney/Steven Gerrard/<insert high-profile English player here>.

Of course, being racist would be a completely different thing entirely.  He was found guilty of using racist language by the F.A. (he hasn't denied this) but not-guilty of racism in a court of law.  I guess it depends how you wish to view those conclusions as to whether you decide he is a "piece of shit" or not.

That said, I think a lot of rich footballers are pretty scummy to some extent.  I'd include Terry in this category overall.

Yeah I agree. Plenty are, although I'd say Terry is worse than most. 

Yeah people can choose how to view it. They couldn't prove intent in court, which was what was needed to convict. The F.A thought enough of it and were going to strip him of the England captaincy. 

Like I say, he does just one thing and I probably don't use the phrase 'piece of shit' but you add all these incidents together and to me they're the actions of a pretty shit person. Others might not agree and that's fine.

19 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Fair enough. 

Are these reasons you don't not want him at the club or are you just discussing if he a nice person or not?

sorry I forget. 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Are these reasons you don't not want him at the club or are you just discussing if he a nice person or not?

sorry I forget. 

No, I've never said I won't cheer him or we shouldn't sign him because of this. 

I have concerns over signing him but not because of that. I just think he's a word removed 

What If we signed a player called Terry John ? 

He would of have a great song.....

To the tune of "go west"

Terry John, your names the wrong way round
Terry John, your names the wrong way round
Terry jooooooohn.
Edited by TheStagMan

18 hours ago, wiggyrichard said:

Would you if he was your mate??

It would probably depend on how attractive she was, how good mates we were and how drunk I was :)

No but seriously, I agree that it wasn't a good thing to do if it happened, it was unnecessary and disruptive. But it doesn't matter to me regarding the question if I want him to join.

I'm still against signing him though, but because I believe he is past it and seems too expensive.  

Jeez....enough of the Terry "tossergate" already :(

If he does his job on the pitch then,well that's what he's being paid for.

If he signs of course....

Well many years ago I married the wife of a work colleague who I had previously played football with and was also a mate of.

I guess that makes me a shit. 

Although anyone knowing the facts wouldn't see it that way. (As indeed he himself doesn't) - and I'm a very thoughtful, peaceful, considerate, loving man.

So am I defined by my opening sentence, or by my third sentence ?

And my lad was given a warning by his school for racist behaviour when he was 14. So he's a racist AND  shit  too.

Mind you, the warning was because he'd been doing the Basil Fawlty / Germans funny walk and a young teacher - who later said she had never heard of Fawlty Towers - thought it offensive. 

And he is 24 and that's the only bother he's ever had in his life. Doesn't drink, doesn't smoke, in a long term relationship, good to his Dad.

So is he defined by my first sentence about him, or the following ones ?

Sooooo easy to hear a note or two and compose a symphony.

• Like 2

Â