John Terry

Farlz

Whatever you might think of JT, his commitment to Villa was 100%, and I think he helped Grealish mature a little this season.

Still that that JT has gone the door opens to ....Gardner again in midfield.......woo woo.....?

20 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Whatever you might think of JT, his commitment to Villa was 100%, and I think he helped Grealish mature a little this season.

Still that that JT has gone the door opens to ....Gardner again in midfield.......woo woo.....?

Why does JT going affect Gardner ? Not even the same position?

One of the most influential players and biggest leaders I have ever seen at Villa Park.

You can just tell from all the players' comments on social media the positive effect that he had on everyone at the club this season - it's like he has been here for years.

Thanks for all your efforts JT.

• Like 2

I'm not surprised he's going, didn't think he'd stay if we weren't promoted. I'd love to know what his influence was like in the dressing room; I suspect it was massive, and you can't put a price on that.

10 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

If he ends up at Derby, a club that finished below us, have less money than us and are due no parachute money then that will reflect badly on us.

I am happy that the owner seems to be seeing what needs to be done, and I think under the circumstances, this is probably a good decision.

19 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

If he ends up at Derby, a club that finished below us, have less money than us and are due no parachute money then that will reflect badly on us.

“Have less money than us” may not strictly be true, eh?

28 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Err no it won't. He'll be going there most probably to be an assistant coach and maybe a player coach working alongside a player/friend he played with for a decade. How on earth would that reflect badly on us?

He's no loss anyway, at 38 his time has come and gone.

Edited by villa89
  • Like 3

Even with FFP I am staggered that we did not offer a contract to Terry. Not only could we do with him next season but it would've maybe convinced players like Grealish and Chester to stay. It points to me at a complete re-think of playing staff and Bruce not sticking around. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Even with FFP I am staggered that we did not offer a contract to Terry. Not only could we do with him next season but it would've maybe convinced players like Grealish and Chester to stay. It points to me at a complete re-think of playing staff and Bruce not sticking around. 

He seems to like it here and i'm wondering if we could have done something with a low salary (20-25k per week or something) and stuck a large bonus on for promotion to cover the difference on what he would perhaps otherwise have been on. This could have been paid next year/over the course of the following season or something. who knows if he would have agreed but if you don't ask.....

Same goes for Hutton really, With him being more than adequate cover for 2 positions could he be offered 10-20k per week and a chunk on top if we go up as without him we would potentially need to be paying 2 players anyway

Edited by LakotaDakota

21 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I'm not surprised. £60k / week makes him a prime target to help plug the financial gap. It's a shame though as I'd imagine this is what Michah **** Richards is on and we can't ship him out or boil him down for glue.

Edited by jacketspuds

The problem with offering him another contract is that we would once again be looking at the short term... even in the unlikely event that he were to accept 20-30k, we could get a young centre back in for less than that per week and give them a season in the first team. Or promote Suliman or Bedeau from the U23's.

Terry's been fantastic this season, but he's not getting any younger and it has shown at times. In the dressing room he has been brilliant and we now need to carry that on into next season.

If we are going to go with the rebuild the squad and meet FFP plan then unfortunately decisions such as letting Terry go (if that was even a decision for the club) have to be made. The same decision will need to be made for Hutton, Whelan, Jedinak, Adomah... cash in and get them off the wage bill now and bring a younger player in from elsewhere or keep them for another push next season.

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

Err no it won't. He'll be going there most probably to be an assistant coach and maybe a player coach working alongside a player/friend he played with for a decade. How on earth would that reflect badly on us?

He's no loss anyway, at 38 his time has come and gone.

there are plenty of players that we've let go and said "they aren't that great anyway" and it's been true...JT is not one of them in my opinion and will, on the contrary, be quite a loss

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

It's a shame though as I'd imagine this is what Michah **** Richards is on and we can't ship him out or boil him down for glue.

?

Â