John Terry

Farlz

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think if it was 30k a week we would have kept him. That isn't huge around. That would have just been a contract extension. I see it when  i believe it

If we didn't even offer him anything how would we know... I said a few days ago we should just have offered him 25k per week or something and attached a promotion bonus to be paid the following year to make up any potential shortfall. Honestly think he would have taken it. Same with Hutton, There is not going to be a huge queue to match his current wages so offer him 10-15k per week and see what he says, We will not find cover for 2 positions any cheaper than that

Edited by LakotaDakota

3 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

If we didn't even offer him anything how would we know... I said a few days ago we should just have offered him 25k per week or something and attached a promotion bonus to be paid the following year to make up any potential shortfall. Honestly think he would have taken it. Same with Hutton, There is not going to be a huge queue to match his current wages so offer him 10-15k per week and see what he says, We will not find cover for 2 positions any cheaper than that

We don't know if he was offered anything. If be suprised if we didn't offer anything considering he is our captain and the impact he has had here.

It makes sense and looks good on both parties that we wanted keep him but couldnt afford him and he wanted to stay.

I can see him going to Derby for less and it makes sense though Derby are no better than us when it comes to veterans in the squad

4 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He's done, not worth £30k.

He is well worth that imo. Not only was he superb basically all season for us, he also provided a huge amount to our younger players like Jack. If we could have gotten Terry on 30k, we are stupid not to have matched. 

6 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

He is well worth that imo. Not only was he superb basically all season for us, he also provided a huge amount to our younger players like Jack. If we could have gotten Terry on 30k, we are stupid not to have matched. 

£30k cheerleader, yeah ok.

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

Micah Richards is a cheer leader. John Terry played 35 matches for us last season. I wouldn't classify a regular starter a cheerleader. 

4 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Micah Richards is a cheer leader. John Terry played 35 matches for us last season. I wouldn't classify a regular starter a cheerleader. 

A better investment would be a younger centre half who can be here for a few years.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I think thats abit harsh he played numerous games for us and was outstanding and a leader on the pitch and dressing room.

But no question his best days are behind him.  If i was him I wouldn't bother over here go abroad for a but it retire on top.

On 04/06/2018 at 16:44, Czechlad said:

Totally agree with you - I still have not a huge amount of respect for him as a man - but this is not the question here. I think he gave everything in a footballing sense both on and off the field and I can't help but think he found himself with a surprising affinity to the club - sure no doubts many might think of him as one of footballing mercenaries - not certain why ? But in pure footballing terms only -  I do  admire him.

• Like 1

On 03/06/2018 at 21:32, Zatman said:

It makes sense and looks good on both parties that we wanted keep him but couldnt afford him and he wanted to stay.

I can see him going to Derby for less and it makes sense though Derby are no better than us when it comes to veterans in the squad

Not much better off financially either.

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

Totally agree with you - I still have not a huge amount of respect for him as a man - but this is not the question here. I think he gave everything in a footballing sense both on and off the field and I can't help but think he found himself with a surprising affinity to the club - sure no doubts many might think of him as one of footballing mercenaries - not certain why ? But in pure footballing terms only -  I do  admire him.

Not sure, why anyone would think of him as a mercenary, being at Chelsea oodles of years....still wants to play, so cashes in on his stock....thats a players prerogative.

What we have to do, is look at things from our perspective and ask ourselves the question, will we get value for money.

On many ,many occasions in the past, we have royally ****ed up big time.....Not saying John Terry is one of those occasions, but its clear now he was the silver bullet.

Edited by TRO

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Terry is basically the opposite of a mercenary.

I think anybody who thinks he is a mercenary has misunderstood the meaning of the word.

I would agree with you on this 

• 2 weeks later...
Â