Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It's not true.

He mentioned it as one of the reasons you can rely on Elmohamady. In no way did he say that's why he signed him.

There's enough to bash Bruce about without people making this shit up.

Accepting that, it does seem very strange that turning up on time is thought worth mentioning, as though it's some kind of achievement, or a sign of dedication, rather than an absolutely basic and non-negotiable contractual requirement.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

The problem is, is we try and do everything in 5 passes, when we need to do it in 20.

We rush and rush and rush and part of the reason for that is because our spastic supporters boo if someone dare pass the ball sideways or backwards.  If the pass ain't on, don't play it (this is something I've noticed happens more or less exclusively at home matches before away fans cry).

We make everything so **** complicated.  There's often such a gap between our midfield and attack that we have to play 40 yard passes into channels, or try risky through balls.  Our ball retention is absolutely ridiculous.  I was watching Man Utd camped outside West Ham's 18 yard box yesterday for 90 minutes, thinking "I can't remember the last time" villa had a triangle of players on the corner of the box, calmly passing to one another.  We have to **** punt it into the box as soon as we get anywhere near the box regardless of whether there's any bastard in it or not, never mind getting more than 1 player in it. 

I thought the old heads in the team would help to be honest, but they haven't as of yet.  

And inevitably this "rushing around like headless chickens" just gets worse and worse as we concede goals. 

Yep, crowd reactions are frustrating at times but to put it down as a reason is ridiculous. 

These are professional footballers who have been playing in professional academies from around 8 years old. If they make a pass based on a reaction from the crowd that might happen rather than following managerial instructions or years of coaching then there's something seriously wrong with them. 

I disagree with the fans who get annoyed when we keep the ball with sideways and backwards passing at times but this seems another poor attempt at moaning at, blaming and insulting fans that don't agree to the way you think you should act at the ground.

This better fan bullshit is fast becoming one of my least favourite things about villa fans at the moment. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, peterms said:

Accepting that, it does seem very strange that turning up on time is thought worth mentioning, as though it's some kind of achievement, or a sign of dedication, rather than an absolutely basic and non-negotiable contractual requirement.

I don't think he even mentioned time.

He said something along the lines of (I'm paraphrasing from memory so this is not an exact quote):

"I've known the player for 6 years and I don't think he's never missed a training session and never missed a game. He's reliable"

he then went on to say how he was direct, got the ball in the box etc

Getting from that to "Bruce signed him because he turns up to training on time" is a hell of a leap.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yep, crowd reactions are frustrating at times but to put it down as a reason is ridiculous. 

These are professional footballers who have been playing in professional academies from around 8 years old. If they make a pass based on a reaction from the crowd that might happen rather than following managerial instructions or years of coaching then there's something seriously wrong with them. 

I disagree with the fans who get annoyed when we keep the ball with sideways and backwards passing at times but this seems another poor attempt at moaning at, blaming and insulting fans that don't agree to the way you think you should act at the ground.

This better fan bullshit is fast becoming one of my least favourite things about villa fans at the moment. 

1. Have there been others?  I only went the other day because my mate was on holiday, my last season ticket was MON's last season, and even had he have stayed, I said I wasn't getting another one because I didn't find it entertaining anymore, which is what football is to me.  I go very irregularly now, and it's mostly because of time constraints, but other fans and their moaning is another reason - I don't go to hear some numbskulls opinions on his current fixation of hate/dislike. 

2. I'm not a better fan than anyone, probably worse because I genuinely don't care how Villa do anymore.  I'm a Villa "fan" if people ask, but I don't care if we lose or draw.  It's nice when we win though and I like reading about how we've done when we win - players to look out for, who did well etc.  

The best fans are those who are passionate, are able to give reason or understanding to decisions they wouldn't have made themselves and understand that football is about 2 teams trying to beat each other and the inevitability that occasionally, their team will lose/have a bad day.  Back the team, even when it doesn't go well and appreciate opposition who do well against us. 

41 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It's not "better fan bullshit" to complain about some fans.

I don't know how you define who a better fan is, but I'm certain lapal and myself come nowhere near the "best".

But that doesn't mean I can't point out that a bunch of our fans are complete words removed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think our fans have every right to be frustrated that we show no fight.

I think our fans have every right to be nervous when we take the lead as we will probably lose it.

I think our fans have the right to vent these worries/frustrations.

Aston Villa are not a club to be proud of at the moment this is 100% down to the professionals who have been very well paid to get the results that keep the supporters happy.

They are not doing that, to blame the people that pay for the privilege of watching Villa is wrong in my opinion.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

1. Have there been others?  I only went the other day because my mate was on holiday, my last season ticket was MON's last season, and even had he have stayed, I said I wasn't getting another one because I didn't find it entertaining anymore, which is what football is to me.  I go very irregularly now, and it's mostly because of time constraints, but other fans and their moaning is another reason - I don't go to hear some numbskulls opinions on his current fixation of hate/dislike. 

2. I'm not a better fan than anyone, probably worse because I genuinely don't care how Villa do anymore.  I'm a Villa "fan" if people ask, but I don't care if we lose or draw.  It's nice when we win though and I like reading about how we've done when we win - players to look out for, who did well etc.  

The best fans are those who are passionate, are able to give reason or understanding to decisions they wouldn't have made themselves and understand that football is about 2 teams trying to beat each other and the inevitability that occasionally, their team will lose/have a bad day.  Back the team, even when it doesn't go well and appreciate opposition who do well against us. 

If you do not care then why take the time out of your day to post on here? I get that not all fans can watch all games but if they are posting on here then surely they care about the results of the team and want us to do well

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

I think our fans have every right to be frustrated that we show no fight.

I think our fans have every right to be nervous when we take the lead as we will probably lose it.

I think our fans have the right to vent these worries/frustrations.

Aston Villa are not a club to be proud of at the moment this is 100% down to the professionals who have been very well paid to get the results that keep the supporters happy.

They are not doing that, to blame the people that pay for the privilege of watching Villa is wrong in my opinion.  

Aww come on Mark, nobody is blaming the fans. All @lapal_fan said was, basically the lack of patience doesn't help at times and he's right.

For all people go on about possession and 'getting it down and playing', if it doesn't go forward after 2/3 passes, you can't deny you do get some right daft stuff being shouted from the stands!? It's funny and part of the experience for me. Everybody is getting a bit too serious. It's not just a recent thing, it's been like it for years and years. 

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 1

I think it's a vicious cycle. The crowd get edgey and annoyed because we have been shit for so long,  and no matter where you've played when you have ten or twenty odd thousand people groaning at the first misplaced pass or screaming for you to release the ball the second the game opens up cannot be helpful.

I don't know how we get past this, the club is just a depressing place to be right now.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think he even mentioned time.

He said something along the lines of (I'm paraphrasing from memory so this is not an exact quote):

"I've known the player for 6 years and I don't think he's never missed a training session and never missed a game. He's reliable"

he then went on to say how he was direct, got the ball in the box etc

Getting from that to "Bruce signed him because he turns up to training on time" is a hell of a leap.

OK, if it's a made up quote, fair enough.

15 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I don't think the fans are the problem anymore. We have a very good home record and our away fans are one of the best in the country if not the best. 

I think our fans are part of the problem.  We expect a lot (rightly or wrongly) and are fairly quick to voice our displeasure.  Doesn't mean that players shouldn't be able to perform anymore, but it probably doesn't help.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

Maybe not from yourself but yes there's definitely been others. If you didn't buy into the faith in Steve Bruce last season. If you had concerns over pre season games. If you jeered Bacuna, if you wanted the manager gone after the first game. And now fans, sorry 'spastic fans' being blamed for players making poor passes. It seems to be becoming a more common theme, fans getting on their high horse to mock or insult others. 

The whole basis of football support is on spontaneous emotional reactions, that's why I jump out the seat when a millionaire like Gabby, who has treated the club like shit, kicks a ball just wide of a goal. If my reactions to football were thought out, logical and reasoned I'd have stayed in my seat. So while i disagree with a lot of fan reactions who am I to decide how others should emotionally react to the game or the club they passionately support? 

It irritates me. We have an amazing away following and incredible home attendance when you think what actually gets served up. And yet we still have articles by YouTube pundits in the Birmingham Mail moaning at fans. We have twitter full of better fan comments and it seems to creep in here from time to time. 

Way off topic but I strongly disagree with your post and the way you chose to phrase it. 

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

I don't think the fans are the problem anymore. We have a very good home record and our away fans are one of the best in the country if not the best. 

Agreed. Yes the fans sarcastically cheering when Bacuna went off in the first game wasn't helpful, but for the most part we have the best home support in the league and one of the best away support units in the world. Our fans are passionate and for the most part incredibly supportive. Yes we went through an era of booing a bit more than we perhaps should have done a few seasons back, but right here and right now we are more behind the team than we have been in years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

I think our fans are part of the problem.  We expect a lot (rightly or wrongly) and are fairly quick to voice our displeasure.  Doesn't mean that players shouldn't be able to perform anymore, but it probably doesn't help.

If our fans are part of the problem why is it we perform at home and are abysmal away where our support is a lot better? I agree we are too quick to voice our displeasure but it doesn't stack up that it affects the players. Nearly 5000 on Saturday only booed at half time but supported thatcher shower the rest of the game. Tomorrow 4000 will be cheering on a team that wins nearly 1 in 10 away from home. If you swapped our results around I'd agree the fans are part of the problem. We as fans expect a lot but all fans do. It's all relative. To be fair at the minute I'm sure most fans just want us to try to attack at all times and show desire. Personally I believe if we did that we'd be in with a cracking shout of promotion. Sadly though we aren't doing either. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Maybe not from yourself but yes there's definitely been others. If you didn't buy into the faith in Steve Bruce last season. If you had concerns over pre season games. If you jeered Bacuna, if you wanted the manager gone after the first game. And now fans, sorry 'spastic fans' being blamed for players making poor passes. It seems to be becoming a more common theme, fans getting on their high horse to mock or insult others. 

The whole basis of football support is on spontaneous emotional reactions, that's why I jump out the seat when a millionaire like Gabby, who has treated the club like shit, kicks a ball just wide of a goal. If my reactions to football were thought out, logical and reasoned I'd have stayed in my seat. So while i disagree with a lot of fan reactions who am I to decide how others should emotionally react to the game or the club they passionately support? 

It irritates me. We have an amazing away following and incredible home attendance when you think what actually gets served up. And yet we still have articles by YouTube pundits in the Birmingham Mail moaning at fans. We have twitter full of better fan comments and it seems to creep in here from time to time. 

Way off topic but I strongly disagree with your post and the way you chose to phrase it. 

Try not to get hung up on 'spastic fans'.

I obviously didn't mean anything about the physical or mental abilities of them.

I meant it more akin to the way South Park uses the word "fags" against the biker community. I.e. **** annoying.

Very immature yes, but I am just so pashinate about vila. 

Shit in a city!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

We aren't. Our fans are the same as fans of any other club. If the team is playing well and creating chances they'll get behind them. If they are playing badly and have a manager who picks the wrong team and doesn't believe in tactics then of course they will start to moan and boo. The affect the fans have on the players is vastly overstated in general in football. 

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

No. Just no.

This self loathing/self critical stuff is just rubbish, sorry it is. I blame O'Leary. 

Our fans are no different to any other set of fans.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I made that decision at that same time.....blimey did you ever imagine it would have got worse?

I had to stop going, because i was taking it too seriously, for my own good.....just eased my way back this season

• Like 1