Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

uh how terrible having more strikers - that won't help us win promotion

You think we should go for the 4-1-5 formation we had under Di Matteo?

We could sign all the strikers in the world, but as long as we don't have an attacking system or any lines to how we attack it's all pointless and a waste of money we don't really have.

We already have 1 or 2 £12-15m strikers sitting on on the bench or in the stands that we bought the previous season. Gabby who seem to be in Bruce's plans. And Kodija who's out injured.  And a few youngsters.

Our squad is so bloated it's ridiculous.

We have a more expensive strike force than most PL sides. If Bruce can show he can use the toys the club bought him in January, then he can get a few more next year.

What about stability, bedding in and all those other things that are so important from time to time?

• Like 1

I think he was just joking about saying he'd like a front line of Shearer and Cantona up front for Villa, not sure that we are after strikers really. 

Not to say we aren't, just that I don't think it's all that likely. Maybe it depends on if McCormack ever leaves the club. Noone seems to be even asking about him at press conferences. We also need to start getting at least a couple of the younger lads out on loan now, some of them look like they'll be handy like O'Hare, others look like they could really do with some game time at a lower level 

3 minutes ago, sne said:

You think we should go for the 4-1-5 formation we had under Di Matteo?

We could sign all the strikers in the world, but as long as we don't have an attacking system or any lines to how we attack it's all pointless and a waste of money we don't really have.

We already have 1 or 2 £12-15m strikers sitting on on the bench or in the stands that we bought the previous season. Gabby who seem to be in Bruce's plans. And Kodija who's out injured.  And a few youngsters.

Our squad is so bloated it's ridiculous.

We have a more expensive strike force than most PL sides. If Bruce can show he can use the toys the club bought him in January, then he can get a few more next year.

What about stability, bedding in and all those other things that are so important from time to time?

So you're the manager, you look up front and see Gabby, not gonna score that often, Kodjia, injured for longer than first thought - so you've got Hogan and Mcoremack. Happy with them options when chasing promotion? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jareth said:

So you're the manager, you look up front and see Gabby, not gonna score that often, Kodjia, injured for longer than first thought - so you've got Hogan and Mcoremack. Happy with them options when chasing promotion? 

If I'm a checkbook manager I'm sure I'd want more.

Most would have to make due with what they'd got after the club having already spend £45-50 m on strikers in a year. In the Championship :wacko:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sne said:

If I'm a checkbook manager I'm sure I'd want more.

Most would have to make due with what they'd got after the club having already spend £45-50 m on strikers in a year. In the Championship :wacko:

Ok, that's logical, (if) the option is there to bring in someone to help us score goals whilst Ross is stuck behind his gate, let's not take that option because we should be getting more out of Gabby and Hogan. Would love to know how you get more out of Gabby. Let's pray that Bruce is a chequebook manager. 

58 minutes ago, sne said:

More strikers?

Really?!

If Mccormack is moving on and Kodja still out for a while I think we are quite in need of a striker. Look back at last season without Kodja, we really struggled to score goals. If Bruce thinks our young strikers are good enough, then we could look to them, if not then I do think we need to buy. Personally i'd like to see 3 main strikers, Kodja Hogan and someone new with Gabby as a fourth choice. We know how hard the championship is, you need at least 3/4 good stikers especially with the amount of games you play each week and injuries which occur from this.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Grumpy_Lion said:

If Mccormack is moving on and Kodja still out for a while I think we are quite in need of a striker. Look back at last season without Kodja, we really struggled to score goals. If Bruce thinks our young strikers are good enough, then we could look to them, if not then I do think we need to buy. Personally i'd like to see 3 main strikers, Kodja Hogan and someone new with Gabby as a fourth choice. We know how hard the championship is, you need at least 3/4 good stikers especially with the amount of games you play each week and injuries which occur from this.

If we can get one on loan, sure..

7 minutes ago, Supervillan78 said:

I'd love another striker.

McCormack's unlikely to play for us again, Kodjia's still injured, Gabby has never been prolific, Hogan's lacking confidence and RHM's untested. So that just leaves us with Samba so...

Maybe Samba is the key :-D

• Like 1

Just now, Grumpy_Lion said:

Maybe, personally I'd like to buy someone but a loan could be one option. I'm of course assuming we have the money to afford someone else :-)

That is my big issue.

Last season we spent money like a PL club, and the years before that we were hemorrhaging money and had something like the 8th highest wages spend in the PL.

It will come back to bite us. But if Xia can offset the losses with his own money without care for FFP, them by all means spend it like monopoly money.

I suspect we are pretty much screwed if we miss out on promotion this season so might as well go down in flames.

1 minute ago, sne said:

That is my big issue.

Last season we spent money like a PL club, and the years before that we were hemorrhaging money and had something like the 8th highest wages spend in the PL.

It will come back to bite us. But if Xia can offset the losses with his own money without care for FFP, them by all means spend it like monopoly money.

I suspect we are pretty much screwed if we miss out on promotion this season so might as well go down in flames.

You're right of course. My previous comments were all assuming we have the cash and can balance it but you make a good point. I think everyone would love to keep buying new and better players but that's not how things work. Being realistic I would be happyish with what we got but I do think we will struggle to score the goals we need to make a promotion push with our current lot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grumpy_Lion said:

You're right of course. My previous comments were all assuming we have the cash and can balance it but you make a good point. I think everyone would love to keep buying new and better players but that's not how things work. Being realistic I would be happyish with what we got but I do think we will struggle to score the goals we need to make a promotion push with our current lot.

There is of course the option that most other Championships are doing by buying players from other leagues that are much cheaper, but potentially a gamble that may or may not pay off.

I'm all for that.

But getting in another expensive Championship striker, or an rotation PL player on massive wages and a 3-5 year contract, I just don't want us to do that, again.

We can't go through the season relying solely on Kodjia because we'll just end up mid-table again. We need another goal scorer. We've not spent more than £4m? this window, we've generated £15m in player sales with possibly more to come plus we still get some parachute money. We could afford another £10m striker.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sne said:

But getting in another expensive Championship striker, or an rotation PL player on massive wages and a 3-5 year contract, I just don't want us to do that, again.

So if we signed another Kodjia, someone who was worth the money, surely that would be a good idea? I'm all up for never getting another Mcoremack ever ever again, but I would still want the club to take some risks to improve us. 

1 hour ago, KSV said:

we could do alot worse.

I think we need a striker for sure. Kent on loan and a striker and we are set. 

Now Amavi has gone and Bacuna looks to be on his way, I'd imagine we will be able to get Kent in on loan if that is who we are looking for on the left.

I think we'll certainly need to shift McCormack and potentially Elphick and Gardener before getting a striker in, but I do think we'll get a striker! 

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

Surely any striker coming in now will not be a £10m striker? Maybe a loan.

I remember saying the same thing in January and then all of a sudden they banged big money on Hogan.

As we stand, I'd imagine loans are more likely, however, we haven't finished selling everyone yet!