Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

2 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

My attitude is, who cares if these clubs want to waste there money on shite. It's not my money.

Not directly but as fans be it through the turnstiles or in their armchair you will be paying more in many ways; match tickets, merchandise, catering, tv subscriptions and so on.

I'm not picking on you as i see your point to a degree and overall, football has hardly ever been value for money - not at the higher levels anyway.

28 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I don't get this at all. I LOVE football, at all levels. I love playing and watching locally (I play at the second worst team in the bottom division of the Herefordshire league, so I'm shit) I play as often as is possible, I watch local games as much as I can. I will watch as much going up through the pyramid as is possible. My local team, Hereford, are working there way back up through the divisions to try and get football league. I love reading about potential transfers in the non-league paper. Trying to find players I remember. I love watching the football league show. I love watching MOTD, I love watching as many games as possible!! Do I agree with the money being spent then no, I hate that bit. It's really really shit. But when it 11v11 on the pitch wether it be Southport v Macclesfield or The Manc derby, I love it and can honestly say I'd never, ever lose interest in watching football.

While I agree it is still 11v11, the money involved has vastly reduced the chances of the smaller clubs climbing up and winning things. The Rich teams pick up all of the best players and some on top. 

When I was growing up Liverpool were pretty dominant, but there were teams like ourselves and Forest who by good management could challenge and even win cups or titles. These days bar Leicester pulling off a miracle, it appears the same 5-6 teams win everything. I bet if you look back the pool of teams winning the league and cups over the last twenty years it is more or less that small pool of teams, and to be honest that small hope of winning something at the start of each season has been squashed. That is how I feel anyway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NeilS said:

While I agree it is still 11v11, the money involved has vastly reduced the chances of the smaller clubs climbing up and winning things. The Rich teams pick up all of the best players and some on top. 

When I was growing up Liverpool were pretty dominant, but there were teams like ourselves and Forest who by good management could challenge and even win cups or titles. These days bar Leicester pulling off a miracle, it appears the same 5-6 teams win everything. I bet if you look back the pool of teams winning the league and cups over the last twenty years it is more or less that small pool of teams, and to be honest that small hope of winning something at the start of each season has been squashed. That is how I feel anyway.

I get that, but what I don't get is to say that you could have ZERO INTEREST IN ANY FOOTBALL. (I know you didn't say that bit). I just love the game, like I said I play at a really terrible standard (used to play at a more decent standard before injury) and get beat more often than not but still love it. For me it's the game I love. And of course AVFC.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Not directly but as fans be it through the turnstiles or in their armchair you will be paying more in many ways; match tickets, merchandise, catering, tv subscriptions and so on.

I'm not picking on you as i see your point to a degree and overall, football has hardly ever been value for money - not at the higher levels anyway.

It's not really risen a great deal though. It's always been expensive. When I first started driving myself to games like 12 years ago, the price was pretty much the same as now. The ridiculous money hasn't actually risen the prices much (I don't pay for sky, my old man does and I will watch games with him), but the price of day out at the villa isn't changing much.

12 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I suppose I just don't follow the general consesus on here that 90% of footballers are shite, everything about the game is shite, everyone and everything is overrated. I will sit here in disbelief sometimes reading that everyone and everything is shit.

Agreed, and I love your point about playing the game. I'd implore anyone to get out and play whatever level you can, Sunday league, 5s, walking football. Away from all the politics and money and corporate bullshit, you appreciate the beauty of a competitive game of football.

I also think that people forget that teams are playing each other, it's all relative.

edit: It's a little off topic but I hope this doesn't get flagged as it's a good conversation related to the price of transfers and transfer fees...

Edited by a m ole

55 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I get that, but what I don't get is to say that you could have ZERO INTEREST IN ANY FOOTBALL. (I know you didn't say that bit). I just love the game, like I said I play at a really terrible standard (used to play at a more decent standard before injury) and get beat more often than not but still love it. For me it's the game I love. And of course AVFC.

I think the love of AVFC is what keeps us all coming back. Everyone reacts differently to success and failure, some people hit out and do go way over the top with their criticism or comments in the event of failure. Deep down I think we all love the game still, but aspects of it have diminished that love a lot. The lack of hope being one of them.

We have had probably the worst stretch of form in my history of following Villa, which can't help people's reactions. I remember the 86/87 relegation, but we quickly bounced back from that, this time has been a long time coming thanks to the previous idiots in charge. I guess we all miss that little bit of hope, and if that returns we will mostly be happy again.

1 minute ago, villarocker said:

I used to play every day of my life as a kid. I then played Sunday league and just knockabout 11-a-side on Sundays when not in a team. I took a few knocks such as doing my ankle ligaments, knee ligaments and also fractured my pelvis. Lost time off work so stopped playing seriously and just stuck to the inter company games at work.

About 6 weeks ago me and my missus took our near 4 year old son to the park. We had a little knockabout and it was great until, I was running in on goal and just about to hit a soft enough shot for my nipper to save and look heroic when whoosh, from nowhere my kamikaze missus came flying in, straight over the ball, and nearly snapped my leg in half. It took a month for the swelling to go down and the bruise is still just visible. Thank God she was only wearing trainers and weighs 7 stone nothing.

That's why I haven't played football seriously for years now - I'm just jinxed and bound to get injured!

I laughed at your missus trying to snap you in half! That's a shame though mate, maybe you can get some joy in forcing your kid into being your keeper for years to come.

• Like 2

Any prospect of signing a player rather than shipping them out?

We need a couple of new faces now particularly someone up front who can score goals (pending Kodjia's return and assuming McCormack remains an option SB refuses to consider) and someone who can create some chances. If we really cannot afford to buy then surely we can make another loan happen that might help turn our wretched start to the season around?   

We need to bring in an out and out winger in the Hoillet mould. Adomah isn't exactly rapid nor is Amhed. and bruce admitted he signed him because of his professionalism in turning up for training on time as much as his ability.

Shame Hoillet is all tucked up at Cardiff.

I notice at Liverpool the kid Ryan Kent wasnt even on the bench yesturday after Klopp blagging him by saying he deserves some game time just to get him to sign that 5 year contract.

Mind you I'd rather we signed someone with a bit more experience than breaking these lads in for other teams. I like Snodgrass he will create stuff and score a few freekicks but he's not exactly rapid.

And I looked at the samba coming on up front situation as a cry out  to the chainman for another centre forward.

It's obvious we need a big back to goal hold it up and lay it off merchant instead of the hapless Hogan. I noticed last season even with Kodja often nothing sticking up front.

We can't play long ball as we don't have the right tools in the squad.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, screwdriver said:

We need to bring in an out and out winger in the Hoillet mould. Adomah isn't exactly rapid nor is Amhed. and bruce admitted he signed him because of his professionalism in turning up for training on time as much as his ability.

Shame Hoillet is all tucked up at Cardiff.

I notice at Liverpool the kid Ryan Kent wasnt even on the bench yesturday after Klopp blagging him by saying he deserves some game time just to get him to sign that 5 year contract.

Mind you I'd rather we signed someone with a bit more experience than breaking these lads in for other teams. I like Snodgrass he will create stuff and score a few freekicks but he's not exactly rapid.

And I looked at the samba coming on up front situation as a cry out  to the chainman for another centre forward.

It's obvious we need a big back to goal hold it up and lay it off merchant instead of the hapless Hogan. I noticed last season even with Kodja often nothing sticking up front.

We can't play long ball as we don't have the right tools in the squad.

I agree with the above... I think we will see a new striker come in before the end of the window... but I wonder who

I've said this before, but our biggest problem last season was creating and scoring goals - our recruitment this season therefore has been a hit of a joke. Whilst they're all decent signings in my opinion, very few of them address this problem. 

We need a midfielder (winger or no. 10) who can create and another striker (bigger type who can hold the ball up and score). 

How many loans are we allowed in total? 

I think we do need to look for another option up top and bring in a target man. Even with Kodjia back we will lack the option of going more direct or of getting the ball out wide and getting the ball into the box. I am surprised it isn’t an area Bruce has already addressed having brought in Elmohamady. We are too one dimensional at the moment and have no plan B.

8 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think we do need to look for another option up top and bring in a target man. Even with Kodjia back we will lack the option of going more direct or of getting the ball out wide and getting the ball into the box. I am surprised it isn’t an area Bruce has already addressed having brought in Elmohamady. We are too one dimensional at the moment and have no plan B.

We don't even have a plan A to be honest.

40 games in and it's still 11 strangers on the pitch who has not clue what the guy next to him will do in any given situation.

No signing we can  realistically get would be worth as much as replacing the manager.

What money we have available should first and foremost be used on recruiting a new manager (not Moyes) and a coaching team.

If said manager feels he needs to strengthen any area, maybe we can stretch the budget a bit and hopefully add to it by getting rid of Hutton and someone else.

• Like 1