Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

I think we do need to look for another option up top and bring in a target man. Even with Kodjia back we will lack the option of going more direct or of getting the ball out wide and getting the ball into the box. I am surprised it isn’t an area Bruce has already addressed having brought in Elmohamady. We are too one dimensional at the moment and have no plan B.

Problem is though, the Doc has to decide between a new manager, or buying another player/s for the current one. If what we are told is right, there isn't the money to do both. It's all got very messy, very quickly. 

21 hours ago, screwdriver said:

We need to bring in an out and out winger in the Hoillet mould. Adomah isn't exactly rapid nor is Amhed. and bruce admitted he signed him because of his professionalism in turning up for training on time as much as his ability.

Wait, What?

That can't be true, surely. If it is - WTF does that say about the rest of the players? And what does it say about Bruce as a manager?

Edited by TheStagMan

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Our biggest problem isn't not having an average to rubbish player like Junior Toilet, it's making average players like Junior Toilet look talented.

Junior Toilet, that would be Potty, right?

There's a real lack of pace going forward, which is strange given we have some 'pacey' players. Players Onomah, Adomah, Hogan, Agbonhalor, Grealish, Green etc aren't slow by any means. Perhaps the real issue is our slow-witted playing style, not enough movement and a general lack of directness. One or two players with genuine pace would be great, but we need a massive overhaul of tactics.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

There's a real lack of pace going forward, which is strange given we have some 'pacey' players. Players Onomah, Adomah, Hogan, Agbonhalor, Grealish, Green etc aren't slow by any means. Perhaps the real issue is our slow-witted playing style, not enough movement and a general lack of directness. One or two players with genuine pace would be great, but we need a massive overhaul of tactics.

It's our 'style of play' that is lacks pace, not the players. We have pace everywhere in forward areas...but we are just too lethargic. This has been a problem for years, its not a new thing.

5 minutes ago, ViewFromT2 said:

It's our 'style of play' that is lacks pace, not the players. We have pace everywhere in forward areas...but we are just too lethargic. This has been a problem for years, its not a new thing.

That's what I said, LOL

1 hour ago, TheStagMan said:

Wait, What?

That can't be true, surely. If it is - WTF does that say about the rest of the players? And what does it say about Bruce as a manager?

It's not true.

He mentioned it as one of the reasons you can rely on Elmohamady. In no way did he say that's why he signed him.

There's enough to bash Bruce about without people making this shit up.

• Like 2

Spend whatever money we have left on a getting rid of Bruce and actually bringing in a manager that knows what they are doing.

Players are not what we need its an astute coach with good staff around him.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ViewFromT2 said:

pretty sure that Agbonlahors goal went from defence to the back of the net in 6 seconds. Not being argumentative just saying it is possible. Theres a good chance that this is what Brucey is trying to coach into them, they just arent doing it. I think our issue is less the speed at which we can break on teams and more that when we are faced with two banks of 4, we either lack ability or confidence to split the lines. Worryingly though, there were alot less talented players doing exactly that for Hogan at brentford if you watch his highlight vids in youtube.

I dont know what the answer is though :(

46 minutes ago, mattjpa said:

pretty sure that Agbonlahors goal went from defence to the back of the net in 6 seconds. Not being argumentative just saying it is possible. Theres a good chance that this is what Brucey is trying to coach into them, they just arent doing it. I think our issue is less the speed at which we can break on teams and more that when we are faced with two banks of 4, we either lack ability or confidence to split the lines. Worryingly though, there were alot less talented players doing exactly that for Hogan at brentford if you watch his highlight vids in youtube.

I dont know what the answer is though :(

There are different ways of coaching though. Clearly what Bruce is doing or whoever on the training ground isn't working because it's not translating to the pitch.

A better coach with better ideas would be able to get this lot playing good football.

• Like 1

The problem is, is we try and do everything in 5 passes, when we need to do it in 20.

We rush and rush and rush and part of the reason for that is because our spastic supporters boo if someone dare pass the ball sideways or backwards.  If the pass ain't on, don't play it (this is something I've noticed happens more or less exclusively at home matches before away fans cry).

We make everything so **** complicated.  There's often such a gap between our midfield and attack that we have to play 40 yard passes into channels, or try risky through balls.  Our ball retention is absolutely ridiculous.  I was watching Man Utd camped outside West Ham's 18 yard box yesterday for 90 minutes, thinking "I can't remember the last time" villa had a triangle of players on the corner of the box, calmly passing to one another.  We have to **** punt it into the box as soon as we get anywhere near the box regardless of whether there's any bastard in it or not, never mind getting more than 1 player in it. 

I thought the old heads in the team would help to be honest, but they haven't as of yet.  

And inevitably this "rushing around like headless chickens" just gets worse and worse as we concede goals. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

The problem is, is we try and do everything in 5 passes, when we need to do it in 20.

We rush and rush and rush and part of the reason for that is because our spastic supporters boo if someone dare pass the ball sideways or backwards.  If the pass ain't on, don't play it (this is something I've noticed happens more or less exclusively at home matches before away fans cry).

We make everything so **** complicated.  There's often such a gap between our midfield and attack that we have to play 40 yard passes into channels, or try risky through balls.  Our ball retention is absolutely ridiculous.  I was watching Man Utd camped outside West Ham's 18 yard box yesterday for 90 minutes, thinking "I can't remember the last time" villa had a triangle of players on the corner of the box, calmly passing to one another.  We have to **** punt it into the box as soon as we get anywhere near the box regardless of whether there's any bastard in it or not, never mind getting more than 1 player in it. 

I thought the old heads in the team would help to be honest, but they haven't as of yet.  

And inevitably this "rushing around like headless chickens" just gets worse and worse as we concede goals. 

Did you see the Cardiff game? We passed the ball side to side with no penetration for ages. It's taking too many touches that doesn't us. We pass the ball so slowly teams get set and we can't break them down. We need the balance of short and long balks but we need to do the pass faster be it 5 or 20. We don't boo the ball being passed back fans react when it's negative football.  In before the delete for name calling! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Did you see the Cardiff game? We passed the ball side to side with no penetration for ages. It's taking too many touches that doesn't us. We pass the ball so slowly teams get set and we can't break them down. We need the balance of short and long balks but we need to do the pass faster be it 5 or 20. We don't boo the ball being passed back fans react when it's negative football.  In before the delete for name calling! 

Sorry, was meant to say "amazingly supportive, through thick and thin, regardless of the current result supporters".

Damn auto correct. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

We rush and rush and rush and part of the reason for that is because our spastic supporters boo if someone dare pass

This drives me up the **** wall at games

"PASS IT FORWARD!!!" screams the same guy who 5 seconds later screams "WHO WAS THAT TO?!" when the ball is aimlessly passed forwards when there's nothing on.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This drives me up the **** wall at games

"PASS IT FORWARD!!!" screams the same guy who 5 seconds later screams "WHO WAS THAT TO?!" when the ball is aimlessly passed forwards when there's nothing on.

Yep. 

At the Hull game I had "crying fan" who must have said "SQUEEZE IT" (Whilst gesturing" no less than 30-40 times (Not even kidding).  Another who whenever Gabby/Bacuna did something wrong shouted "FFS YOU USELESS clearing in the woods", but let other players off who did much worse things.  Another who was just yelling things aimlessly at Bruce to "CHANGE IT!!", even though no one around him wanted to hear him, and I imagine Bruce probably couldn't hear him from the upper Holte. 

I had a good time, apart from the mentally challenged people who were near me.  Thing is, I've sat all over VP over the years and they're everywhere - we should be able to point them out to stewards who put them in a sound proof room or something so I don't have to hear their valued "opinions" every 4 seconds. 

• Like 4

Just now, lapal_fan said:

Yep. 

At the Hull game I had "crying fan" who must have said "SQUEEZE IT" (Whilst gesturing" no less than 30-40 times (Not even kidding).  Another who whenever Gabby/Bacuna did something wrong shouted "FFS YOU USELESS clearing in the woods", but let other players off who did much worse things.  Another who was just yelling things aimlessly at Bruce to "CHANGE IT!!", even though no one around him wanted to hear him, and I imagine Bruce probably couldn't hear him from the upper Holte. 

I had a good time, apart from the mentally challenged people who were near me.  Thing is, I've sat all over VP over the years and they're everywhere - we should be able to point them out to stewards who put them in a sound proof room or something so I don't have to hear their valued "opinions" every 4 seconds. 

"CHANGE IT" is my all time fave. 

I think there's a loon in every section of the ground that starts shouting that after 20 mins, regardless of what's happening. 

My all time favourite was some absolute lunatic in the 0-0 game against Place towards the end of Lamberts tenure. Sat in the lower Holte and within 30 seconds of the game kicking off was trying to talk to everyone around him. At half time and the game 0-0 and awful, we were rightly booed off. He stands up shouting at everyone to 'give the players a chance', 'he's a good manager, he will get this right'. Within 5 minutes of the second half starting he starts bellowing about all the players being shit and how we were going to get relegated! I was amazed he was allowed out on his own to be honest. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2