Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

Dr X has confirmed on twitter that Snodgrass is just a rumour. An apparent ITK Agent on Twitter has said we are looking at wingers, and that we've got youth scouts looking at players.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skills said:

with shotton on the way to boro, does that pave the way for Elphick?   if so, definitely need to replace with Baker gone (and good on him for scoring the other night) preferably someone to be 3rd choice

I think blose are signing flint ahead of elphick. But if thats the case why isnt elphick at least being brought off the bench?

I think he had an injury all pre season and only got back last week to training.. but with a move on the horizon.. is just not going to feature. I am sure he can be a decent back up for us if he gets his head back. 

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I have to admit elphick was not great but i think he is good cover / Samba was not overly impressive. That challenge for the pen was diabolical 

Yep , I'd keep elphick now that baker has gone . 

12 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Dr X has confirmed on twitter that Snodgrass is just a rumour. An apparent ITK Agent on Twitter has said we are looking at wingers, and that we've got youth scouts looking at players.

Good. A verbatim quote from an Irons fan pal of mine, "He's utter bobbins, you don't want him". Says it all.

5 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

I'm really worried about the number of players we have on 1 year deals. Next season we'll have to do another squad overhaul. Again another season of gelling 

That's alright - we'll be back in the top flight then and we need a new squad!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

I'm really worried about the number of players we have on 1 year deals. Next season we'll have to do another squad overhaul. Again another season of gelling 

I think that's clever on the assumption that we go up.

If we signed a load of players that were Championship quality on 3-4 year deals and then get promoted this season, we're stuck with a load of players on the books who aren't good enough for the top flight.

I'm perfectly fine with that approach.

• Like 3

yep, one team to go up, one team to stay up, and one team to push on. I think that was the theory anyway.

Going from this site on contracts: http://astonvillacentral.com/squad/contracts/

On the idea we go up with luck

Terry may not be up for it. Johnstone could be replaced by Steer / an other easily enough, Samba won't be good enough, neither would be Bunn, Hutton. Gabby - if we wanted him to stay he'll stay, if not, no loss. Davis and O'Hare are still youngsters.

Of those with one year to go after that, would be Whelan - old, handy for short term bridging to a new side, along with Jedinak. Of the rest, the only concerns would be getting Steer and Green on longer term deals. de Laet - well depends how well he does post injury. Does well, I'm sure we offer him a deal. Of the rest - Lyden, Suliman, Bedeau - is up to them.

There are really not many players to be worried about.

Edited by Rodders

16 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

PSG Have the Qatar Sovereign Wealth fund to fall back on.

Slight mismatch.

Agreed they do have a much bigger potential to spend. I did think that one of the intents of FFP was to curb the excessive spending power of the richest clubs but if PSG can buy Neymar for £198m it seems I was wrong and that it is now in place to stop the likes of us splashing out say £5m on another player during this window whilst the likes of PSG and Manchester City can carry on spending with impunity. :(   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

Next season if we don't go up will need to see us trim costs considerably - will be lots of youth players ready to go - hence why Bruce is involving them this season I reckon. Not the end of the world, though, Bruce has already shown what can be done with loans and free transfers - tis what championship clubs mostly have to live with.

1 hour ago, John said:

Agreed they do have a much bigger potential to spend. I did think that one of the intents of FFP was to curb the excessive spending power of the richest clubs but if PSG can buy Neymar for £198m it seems I was wrong and that it is now in place to stop the likes of us splashing out say £5m on another player during this window whilst the likes of PSG and Manchester City can carry on spending with impunity. :(   

But they didn't, if you believe what certain people say.

Wasn't it that the Qataris essentially paid Neymar £200m to buy himself out of his contract.
PSG technically got him on a free transfer and just pick up his (admittedly hefty) wages.

Happy to be corrected on that.

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Wasn't it that the Qataris essentially paid Neymar £200m to buy himself out of his contract.
PSG technically got him on a free transfer and just pick up his (admittedly hefty) wages.

That sounds well dodgy!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

What a tangled web that would represent. To quote Vive-La-Villa "That sounds well dodgy". :)