Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

2 minutes ago, ViewFromT2 said:

Said this before guys, and I think it is highly relevant. It is COMPLETELY POINTLESS bringing in a 'creative midfielder' with Steve Bruce is charge. We bypass that area of the field, we don't play that kind of football. The creative types we have in the squad already (Grealish, Hourihane, etc) are consistently left out by Bruce in favour of a more physical type....he admits that is the reason Bacuna got in, and remains, in the side. 

To utilise a creative midfielder...a number 10 if you like, we must play a different style of football. We are far too static in our play, the 'number 10' thrives off movement and creating space. We have the players already in the squad. We need a manager/coaching staff that are prepared to adopt the style on the pitch.

What he said.

19 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Fair enough. I was being very hyperbolic. I get what Steve was trying to do, but why? Lansbury never played the attacking mid role in all of preseason. Lansbury was always the deep mid. Why change it for our first match? 

Lansbury played the advanced role at Forest last season...scored 6 goals in 17 games before Bruce got hold of him. If you read any interviews with him he states that's his best position and that's where he wants to play. The fact Bruce played him so deep last year is baffling.

• Like 3

Im not convinced this is all true to be honest............ now im doing this a lot from memory, but everywhere Bruce has been prior to Villa it always seems like he had a good ball playing midfielder, flair players and playmakers........... as far back as blues I can remember Dunn, Dugarry etc......... Wigan he had Koumas etc.... Sunderland he had Malbranque - Hull he had lads like Koren, Ben Arfa, Ramirez etc................... So he will use them historically............. 

• Like 2

So still rumours of Amavi, Elphick and McCormack doing the rounds. Amavi and McCormack were pretty conspicuous by their absence on Saturday I thought. Neither will be leaving for peanuts though imo. Be nice if we saw some movement early enough to get someone in to cover for Taylor at LB. Don't want to see RDL, Hutton or Bacuna played there. Glad we're apparently out scouting a left back. If we could get rid of Gardner, Bacuna and Elphick, find somewhere for McCormack to go and replace Amavi at LB if/when he leaves we'll be having a great window. If Bunn or Richards go anywhere i'll be amazed. Happy, but amazed.

If Elphick leaves with Richards still kicking around. I doubt we can afford to do much in this area unless they both go. Are Suliman or Bedeau ready to be 4th/5th choice? No one wants to see Richards again but if he doesn't go somewhere then he may be our financial cross to bear. Bacuna, Bunn and Gardner are all surplus to requirements too imo. But I can't see them leaving changing anything squad wise.

Do we need/want another striker? That's all down to what Bruce makes of RHM and Davis I suppose and whether we can get a full 90 mins out of Gabby on a regular basis and whether he's planning for Gabby to battle it out with Green down the left might be the defining factors here for me.

The need for a left back to come in when/if Amavi goes is obvious imo. After that to have a couple of decent options everywhere on the pitch I wouldn't be overly surprised if we got a left winger and/or a striker in. We're having a good window so far imo, just some of those squad fillers to go now and the way the relegation squad will have been transformed in 3 windows will make me very happy. 

• Like 1

As most people seem to think, I believe we do have a decent squad and we need to manager to set us up to play to the squad's strengths. However I think our weakness is pace. We lack it in many areas of the pitch and for a team that doesn't create much through the middle, we at least need pace out wide and for counter attacks. 

12 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

As most people seem to think, I believe we do have a decent squad and we need to manager to set us up to play to the squad's strengths. However I think our weakness is pace. We lack it in many areas of the pitch and for a team that doesn't create much through the middle, we at least need pace out wide and for counter attacks. 

I think the issue is with us not countering as a team. When someone counters they tend to find themselves as the only one and run into trouble/have to pass backwards. We have some pacey players mate in green, onomah, Kodjia, hogan, gabby, adomah and Elmo. They just don't move as a unit yet which can be resolved by coaching and positive/attacking tactics.

I agree that we do not create much at all though the middle which needs to be improved on to start winning games. The runs that hogan was making on Saturday were barely seen by our cm's and they tended to pass out to the wings or to another cm

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Villa Stu said:

I think the issue is with us not countering as a team. When someone counters they tend to find themselves as the only one and run into trouble/have to pass backwards. We have some pacey players mate in green, onomah, Kodjia, hogan, gabby, adomah and Elmo. They just don't move as a unit yet which can be resolved by coaching and positive/attacking tactics.

I agree that we do not create much at all though the middle which needs to be improved on to start winning games. The runs that hogan was making on Saturday were barely seen by our cm's and they tended to pass out to the wings or to another cm

You're probably right. It's not necessarily that we lack pace, but don't use it properly. The other issue I have is that Jack Grealish, for all his talent, slows the game down too much, so we let defenders get back and organised. When he's fit, he needs to address this and try to play the early ball more often, which would help Hogan a lot. You're spot on Hogan has great movement but his runs are rarely spotted. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

You're probably right. It's not necessarily that we lack pace, but don't use it properly. The other issue I have is that Jack Grealish, for all his talent, slows the game down too much, so we let defenders get back and organised. When he's fit, he needs to address this and try to play the early ball more often, which would help Hogan a lot. You're spot on Hogan has great movement but his runs are rarely spotted. 

You are right mate at times grealish can be the best on the pitch or the most frustrating and like you say he needs to work on it. I was quite hopeful about McCormack and hogan playing together and getting a good understanding/partnership but that doesn't look like it will ever happen now. McCormack had all the qualities needed for that role and it's frustrating that another player has not worked out for us

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ViewFromT2 said:

Said this before guys, and I think it is highly relevant. It is COMPLETELY POINTLESS bringing in a 'creative midfielder' with Steve Bruce is charge. We bypass that area of the field, we don't play that kind of football. The creative types we have in the squad already (Grealish, Hourihane, etc) are consistently left out by Bruce in favour of a more physical type....he admits that is the reason Bacuna got in, and remains, in the side. 

To utilise a creative midfielder...a number 10 if you like, we must play a different style of football. We are far too static in our play, the 'number 10' thrives off movement and creating space. We have the players already in the squad. We need a manager/coaching staff that are prepared to adopt the style on the pitch.

Is that a joke?.....he never went close enough to catch a cold on Saturday

Edited by TRO

This guy is very reliable, as far as I know.

Translation (thanks reddit): Amavi has agreed to join Marseille on a 4 year contract. €2m for loan and €8m to make the move permanent. OM hope to finalize deal within 48 hours

4 years contract while he is only loaned sounds weird, but I guess its a one-year loan + a three-year contract afterwards (maybe there is an obligation to buy him)

10 hours ago, DoubtGin said:

This guy is very reliable, as far as I know.

Translation (thanks reddit): Amavi has agreed to join Marseille on a 4 year contract. €2m for loan and €8m to make the move permanent. OM hope to finalize deal within 48 hours

4 years contract while he is only loaned sounds weird, but I guess its a one-year loan + a three-year contract afterwards (maybe there is an obligation to buy him)

I think it was mentioned something to do with financial fair play. If we dont go up we cant put the 8m gor next season

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, KSV said:

Snodgrass? hes past it now. West Ham Fans would drive him here. Think he is awful now. Can we make some more astute purchases FFS. Where is our scouting?

The Snodgrass that West Ham paid £10m for in January? He is no where near past it. We have Green and others so an experienced winger would help them. As for the scouting system we've just signed Onomah so we have got one. As for astute we've spent next to nothing and improved the team with Terry Whelan and Elmo or do you want an unknown astute experienced young star?