Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It does. But it shows how FFP can be worked around.

It doesn't, FFP is to do with more than just transfer spending. It's about expenditure, wages, wage increases and loses. Getting a player to buy out his contract and giving him the money to do so doesn't avoid it.

8 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

It doesn't, FFP is to do with more than just transfer spending. It's about expenditure, wages, wage increases and loses. Getting a player to buy out his contract and giving him the money to do so doesn't avoid it.

It does if the money doesn't come from the club. Which in the case of Neymar it apparently didn't. 

(I'm not saying this is a way everyone can get round it. Just that it shows FFP is fallible) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It does if the money doesn't come from the club. Which in the case of Neymar it apparently didn't.

(I'm not saying this is a way everyone can get round it. Just that it shows FFP is fallible) 

Who did? Because PSG tried to pay the money to the FA and then Neymar paid it to Barca, I've not seen anything to suggest the money wasn't from PSG to him if not where is he supposed to have got it from?

Obvious there are ways of circumnavigating FFP but I don't think this is one.

Just now, TrentVilla said:

Who did? Because PSG tried to pay the money to the FA and then Neymar paid it to Barca, I've not seen anything to suggest the money wasn't from PSG to him if not where is he supposed to have got it from?

I read that it was Qatar, as in the country, had paid it to Neymar under the guise of some sort of sponsorship deal for the 2022 world cup. He used it to buy out his contract and PSG signed him, technically on a free. i.e. the only thing PSG are officially paying are his wages.

Maybe that's bollocks. I can't provide a link because I can't remember where I read it. But I definitely did :D 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

You probably read it from me @Stevo985

I read that the money was a separate deal between Neymar and Qatar for him to become an ambassador for their world cup.  Nothing to do with PSG.

Then lo and behold with this new disposable cash, he buys himself out of his contract and PSG get him for zero transfer fee.  The fact PSG and Qatar are linked is just a co-incidence (but not really).

• Like 3

Here's an article from the Guardian that says:

Mundo Deportivo has reported that Neymar may have already agreed to become an ambassador for Qatar’s World Cup and that the fee for this might be around £200m. In that case Neymar would be able to turn up at the offices of La Liga and buy out his own release clause.

Don't all La Liga contracts require being bought out by the player anyway?

https://worldsoccertalk.com/2017/08/02/how-do-spanish-football-buyout-clauses-work/

The biggest difference between Spanish buyout clauses and release clauses more common in other big leagues around the world is the manner in which they must be triggered.

Rather than the buying club merely paying the selling club the amount set by the contract, the player himself must buy himself out.

This is done by depositing the amount of the buyout clause with La Liga to release the player from his contract. La Liga then pass the money onto the selling club.

Normally this will require the buying club to pay the player the sum of the buyout clause up front.

In which case, the way it is being argued, the purchase of any Spanish player with a buyout clause would circumvent FFP.

Edited by fightoffyour

Just now, TrentVilla said:

Cheers. Just read that.

If true it stinks. 

And yet ... it doesn't ... because it singularly puts FFP in the f**king bin where it belongs.

• Like 3

I think FFP is similar to raising the tax rates on expensive 4X4 cars - the wealthy just buy them as normal.

I think i must be the only one on here who doesn't think we would go on a major spending spree if FFP were abolished. There is enough ways around.I just don't think Dr Tony is that comfortable with making a £80m loss every year. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, romavillan said:

if you were already one of the really big clubs always in the champions league then yes. it's been fantastic for you.

I actually think the CL has become more interesting off the pitch than on it.

Edited by hippo

8 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

No. But then if you are a cynic like me you would say it was never supposed to, it was just the raising of the drawbridge behind the top clubs to try and avoid any more City or PSG situations and protect the status quo. 

It was the brain fart of David Gill who was working for Man Utd and UEFA at the time, Man Utd who are the pioneers in who the **** are they and what do they have to do with football "partners"

official Diesel engine partner, **** me

the interesting thing being that what FFP has done is artificially inflated the market and actually brought more money in to football, has Tony come in knowing it's getting daft and there's money to be made?

14 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

But they didn't, if you believe what certain people say.

Wasn't it that the Qataris essentially paid Neymar £200m to buy himself out of his contract.
PSG technically got him on a free transfer and just pick up his (admittedly hefty) wages.

Happy to be corrected on that.

all the same, im sure we could do a similar thing if we really wanted to right?  

Im not fully buying this FFP thingy

That Neymar thing stinks, but is anybody shocked? Football is corrupt. Way too much money involved for it not to be. There are also performance enhancer issues - but money is king, cover ups are so easy to protect a trillion pound sport.

Look how quickly things moved on from the Blatter corruption, or the sexual abuse of young footballers.

If there were no Villa, i'd quickly give up on football.

• Like 4