17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

I've seen no evidence in the last 12 months that we look a side capable of promotion.

Obviously the board see something different because Bruce is still in charge.

Even if we change manager i don't think we will get promoted the damage has already been done.

44 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I've seen no evidence in the last 12 months that we look a side capable of promotion.

Obviously the board see something different because Bruce is still in charge.

Even if we change manager i don't think we will get promoted the damage has already been done.

With regret, I agree with this.  I just couldn't bring myself to click "like"

• Like 3

On 9/17/2017 at 23:15, MrDuck said:

When we were promoted in 1987, we had 9pts from the first 8 games. So we're better off at this stage than the last time we got promoted :)

Was it still 2 points for a win back in '87 or had it changed to 3 points by then? 

37 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Was it still 2 points for a win back in '87 or had it changed to 3 points by then? 

Good point. I think it changed to 3pts a few years earlier than that, but I'm not entirely sure.

• Like 1

On 20/09/2017 at 19:35, clip on mullet said:

I just hope Bruce doesn't change the formation or personnel for Forrest.

It's Bruce. Of course he will change it totally unnecessarily! 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2017 at 04:15, MrDuck said:

When we were promoted in 1987, we had 9pts from the first 8 games. So we're better off at this stage than the last time we got promoted :)

I like rewriting history to ignore the dark days but just to be pedantic we were relegated in 1987 and promoted in 1988 ;)

After those 8 games we then continued on a run that lost 1 game in the league (against Champions elect Millwall) up until valentines day. (15/7/1).

We won 16, drew 8 and lost 1 in 25 games after those 3 losses, 2 draws and a win in the opening 6 games. Then lost 6 of the next 9 games including against rivals Middlesborough and Millwall and stumbled over the line with a draw, 2 wins and a draw in the last 4 games going up 4 points behind Champions Millwall in second place and then, only by goals scored over Middlesborough, who finished on the same points and same goal difference.

5 draws and 2 losses (the first of which was against SHA at home!) in the first 7 home games too. Taylor's first home league win was in mid October.

Which is all of arguable interest, very little relevance to now and definitely veering off topic I know. :D

Ive said before about Bruce I reckon scraping 2nd is about his ceiling. Lets hope (what's left!) that 30 years on there's a similar happy ending to this tale. However improbable it seems right now.

We are 7 points adrift with 8 games played, 17.4% of the season completed. 

Wolves in second place are averaging over 2 point per game, so i'd assume they'll average around 2 points per game in the near future.  

We will probably need to WIN the next 7 games in a row just to draw level with Wolves.   :o 

:blink:

just for clarity here's the workings - Villa shown first:

13 - 19

16 - 21

19 - 23

22 - 25

25 - 27

28 - 29

31 - 31

Edited by ender4
showing the workings

12 minutes ago, ender4 said:

We are 7 points adrift with 8 games played, 17.4% of the season completed. 

Wolves in second place are averaging over 2 point per game, so i'd assume they'll average around 2 points per game in the near future.  

We will probably need to WIN the next 7 games in a row just to draw level with Wolves.   :o 

:blink:

Not sure why because wolves are averaging 2 points a game it suggests they will continue to do so:- id hazard a guess that 3 teams in the bottom half namely villa; derby and Fulham will all finish top 6 .

We could be level or above them within 4 games looking at the fixtures 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

2 points off play offs, but we need to be much better than we are at the moment. Hopefully we gain a bit of confidence and hit on.

Not playing well but getting the points signs of a good team id say. We can only get better.

58 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Not playing well but getting the points signs of a good team id say. We can only get better.

That holds when you have a top team who have the odd bad game and still win. The tops teams don't keep putting in shoddy performances regularly.

I'd say its more the sign of simply having a group of players far better in quality than the opposition (and the respective balance sheets for each club will show that), playing a team who will be midtable at best.

Keep putting in performance like today, and we will get found out against the better teams in this league, unless we are fortunate enough to have the likes of Kodjia pull something out of the hat every single week.

2 minutes ago, andym said:

That holds when you have a top team who have the odd bad game and still win. The tops teams don't keep putting in shoddy performances regularly.

I'd say its more the sign of simply having a group of players far better in quality than the opposition (and the respective balance sheets for each club will show that), playing a team who will be midtable at best.

Keep putting in performance like today, and we will get found out against the better teams in this league, unless we are fortunate enough to have the likes of Kodjia pull something out of the hat every single week.

You gotta remember though kodjia will be a lot better as tge season goes on.  Hopefully by them the team will be growing more as seasom goes on.

10 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I forgot about the joys of looking at the table when you are winning games!

More of this winning please!

I know, it's a pleasure looking at the table and thinking about how to catch those just ahead. At the moment there is a pack separated by just one win between 10th and 4th - fact is if we can keep our form going we will be just outside automatic promotion. I am praying that we don't slip up at Burton though, can just see it. 

10 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I know, it's a pleasure looking at the table and thinking about how to catch those just ahead. At the moment there is a pack separated by just one win between 10th and 4th - fact is if we can keep our form going we will be just outside automatic promotion. I am praying that we don't slip up at Burton though, can just see it. 

With 2 relatively easy games this week we could be right in the mix. It's also lucky that the more difficult games have come next month where we will have a week to prepare for each one.

Things are definately looking up IMO!

• Like 1