17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

ah sorry, i didn't explain my point very well.   What i was trying to say (badly) was that we are currently 8th. 

Mid-way through last season we were 9th, yet still managed to finish with a complete fail. 

We are hoping that we are on an upward trajectory, but we thought that when we were 9th last season. It turned out to be false.

I'm hoping our current 8th position is the low point of the rest of the season, but at the moment it could turn out either way.  

11 minutes ago, ender4 said:

ah sorry, i didn't explain my point very well.   What i was trying to say (badly) was that we are currently 8th. 

Mid-way through last season we were 9th, yet still managed to finish with a complete fail. 

We are hoping that we are on an upward trajectory, but we thought that when we were 9th last season. It turned out to be false.

I'm hoping our current 8th position is the low point of the rest of the season, but at the moment it could turn out either way.  

Glass half full or half empty? :P

8 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I understand your point here however there are a few differences this season...

• Squad depth is much better this season
  • We are no longer relying on Kodjia for goals
  • We have finally put more than 1 or 2 goals past teams
  • Our away record is not looking as bleak as last season
  • ACON is not going to start the decline as it did last season when we reached 9th

Absolutely spot on with thoses points.I couldn't agree more. Good times ahead!

The top 12 for last season after 11 games -

Huddersfield 25 points

Norwich 23

Newcastle 22

Brighton 21

Bristol City 20

Small Heath 20

Brentford 18

Reading 18

Sheffield Wed 17

Barnsley 16

Leeds 16

Wolves 15

Don't know how much can be realistically gleaned from this. I suppose if we win against Bolton we'll be on 19 points so only 3 points off what Newcastle were on at the same stage.

But on the other hand we'd still be one point behind what sha had managed.

I guess if it's anything to go by, it means there's still a long way to go, but it's nice to be looking at the upper reaches of the league to see where we could be.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Yeah but it was a bit different then. We werw 18th at the time.  It was very unlikely we would keep up the run to get consistently staying in play offs esp when we lost kodjia.

I think if we can win sat and gwt something at wolves we are looking very good.  Leeds already having a wobble. We seem to have wobbled at the start and got better since season has progressed. Rather be like that than what leeds are currently 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

Thats pretty interesting.

We are only just about doing better than last year - our position of 8th pretty much mirrors when we were 9th mid-season last year.

Lots more to do to push on and get near the promotions positions. 

Last season we had 10 points from 10 games.

This season we have 16 points from 10.

Interesting idea of "only just doing better".

;)

41 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I understand your point here however there are a few differences this season...

• Squad depth is much better this season
  • We are no longer relying on Kodjia for goals
  • We have finally put more than 1 or 2 goals past teams
  • Our away record is not looking as bleak as last season
  • ACON is not going to start the decline as it did last season when we reached 9th

yep, i agree with your points

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Last season we had 10 points from 10 games.

This season we have 16 points from 10.

Interesting idea of "only just doing better".

;)

You know thats not the point i was making.

If we want to twist it, then last season our aim was top 6 and we nowhere near it.

This season our aim is top 2, and we are nowhere near it. 

Happy?

(btw, thats not the point i'm making, i twisted that on purpose to show what you did). 

24 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

The top 12 for last season after 11 games -

Huddersfield 25 points

Norwich 23

Newcastle 22

Brighton 21

Bristol City 20

Small Heath 20

Brentford 18

Reading 18

Sheffield Wed 17

Barnsley 16

Leeds 16

Wolves 15

Don't know how much can be realistically gleaned from this. I suppose if we win against Bolton we'll be on 19 points so only 3 points off what Newcastle were on at the same stage.

But on the other hand we'd still be one point behind what sha had managed.

I guess if it's anything to go by, it means there's still a long way to go, but it's nice to be looking at the upper reaches of the league to see where we could be.

SHA of course showed the world how to blow a promising league start spectacularly a few weeks after this by sacking Gary Rowett and appointing a manager big on glitzy image but maybe a bit lacking on track record.

could be a lesson tucked away in there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

The league position is not really the main point here, rather the confidence of where its heading for me.

We are genuinely competing!

Long way to go but we are getting there,we are scoring goals ,not conceding at the other end ,we have a very decent squad it's just trying to get it all to knit together and we are starting to do that long way to go and much harder games to come but we are finally looking like we are ready to challenge .

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

You know thats not the point i was making.

If we want to twist it, then last season our aim was top 6 and we nowhere near it.

This season our aim is top 2, and we are nowhere near it. 

Happy?

(btw, thats not the point i'm making, i twisted that on purpose to show what you did). 

I've no idea what you're on about here and this is not really an interesting enough issue to pursue any further. But I would say, looking back over the last few pages, that your comment about "only just doing better" didn't exactly win the popular vote.

Edited by briny_ear

22 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Preston right above us always seem to silently do quite well don't they? (With ex Villa lad)

Just realised Callum Robinson scored their winner yesterday.

Manged by Alex Neil, Grayson was crazy to leave them for Sunderland 

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

I've no idea what you're on about here and this is not really an interesting enough issue to pursue any further. But I would say, looking back over the last few pages, that your comment about "only just doing better" didn't exactly win the popular vote.

I wasn't trying to win a popular vote. 

I was making a specific observation, and pretty much agreed with the responses i received.

Except your response which went off on a different tangent to the point i had made.

Crowds have unsurprisingly been slightly down, but with the run we are on it would be great to see a big crowd on Saturday to get behind Bruce and the team. They deserve it. I'm a bit taken back with the run we are on and it's come out of nowhere with us still playing poorly, apart from last night. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Crowds have unsurprisingly been slightly down, but with the run we are on it would be great to see a big crowd on Saturday to get behind Bruce and the team. They deserve it. I'm a bit taken back with the run we are on and it's come out of nowhere with us still playing poorly, apart from last night. 

If we play like last night most weeks we will get the crowds back. Bruce needs to start banging the promotion drum and get the fans believing. For the first time in ages I can't wait for Saturday. Last nights football in patches was quality and if we will need that to be for 90 min to win against other promotion hopefuls. Just to bring us all down to earth we haven't beaten any team that we shouldn't be beating yet. Win on Saturday and we will go in to October in a good position with 3 games that will show if this resurgence is for real. 

• Like 1