17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

5 hours ago, chrisvilla4 said:

Have to admit I am feeling more positive. If we can now keep a largely unchanged side I think we can get play offs at least. 

Playoffs would be a failure.

Yet better than the crap we've seen last season and this season so far.

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Really?

Buying the most expensive squad in Championship history, and being the Man City of the championship.

The manager being given a whole year to settle in, settle the team, get them used to the tactics, formation, strategy that you want them to play.

Being fully supported by the board.

Given the favourable conditions, top two should be so easy, i'm pretty confident i could do it blindfolded (slight hyperbole).

We need to be in the top two by Christmas.

And what about the fact that we have spent the last 6 years in serial decline? We needed to rebuild the whole club. Something we have tried to do but insufficiently in my view. Or the possibility that "expensive squad" doesn't always mean "good squad". Think about the money we have wasted since we came into the Championship. Its quite staggering. (Ross McCormack anyone?)

There isn't a hope in hell we will be finishing in the top two so if that is your expectation then I would be very worried.

I'd love to finish in the play-off places.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Really?

Buying the most expensive squad in Championship history, and being the Man City of the championship.

The manager being given a whole year to settle in, settle the team, get them used to the tactics, formation, strategy that you want them to play.

Given the favourable conditions, top two should be so easy, i'm pretty confident i could do it blindfolded (slight hyperbole).

We are not 'the Man City of the Championship'. We might have the most expensive Championship team ever, I wouldn't know. But if we do, I bet the other top 10 places are all taken by teams in the last two seasons. Man City are outspending their opponents by hundreds of millions. We're a bit bigger than a number of other big clubs. It's no comparison. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

And what about the fact that we have spent the last 6 years in serial decline? We needed to rebuild the whole club. Something we have tried to do but insufficiently in my view. Or the possibility that "expensive squad" doesn't always mean "good squad". Think about the money we have wasted since we came into the Championship. Its quite staggering. (Ross McCormack anyone?)

There isn't a hope in hell we will be finishing in the top two so if that is your expectation then I would be very worried.

I'd love to finish in the play-off places.

i am worried!

i agree with what you are saying, but in the end its all excuses... a good manager with the support that has been in place for the year he has been here, needs to be finishing top 2.

and that has to be the minimum aim, until we get to a point where its mathematically impossible.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

We are not 'the Man City of the Championship'. We might have the most expensive Championship team ever, I wouldn't know. But if we do, I bet the other top 10 places are all taken by teams in the last two seasons. Man City are outspending their opponents by hundreds of millions. We're a bit bigger than a number of other big clubs. It's no comparison. 

Its a perfect comparision.

A bigger club in the Premier League spends £100mill+ a year on players.  Man City spend around 3 times that each year.

A bigger club in the Championship spends around £10mill a year on players.   We have spent many multiples of that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Its a perfect comparision.

A bigger club in the Premier League spends £100mill+ a year on players.  Man City spend around 3 times that each year.

A bigger club in the Championship spends around £10mill a year on players.   We have spent many multiples of that.

Middlesbrough spent £55m in the summer, Wolves spent more than £20m, Blues nearly that. 

50 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Not a surprise. I expected them to win the league and still think they will. It'll be between them, Wolves and Leeds I reckon.

I'll be very honest I don't think they are all that. The failing to beat them makes it even worse.

wolves are winning this league hands down. Leeds will be around the top 5 it seems. But will they bottle it like last year once season goes on? I think Cardiff will drop off eventually.

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I'll be very honest I don't think they are all that. The failing to beat them makes it even worse.

wolves are winning this league hands down. Leeds will be around the top 5 it seems. But will they bottle it like last year once season goes on? I think Cardiff will drop off eventually.

Basically agree with this. I think it's clear that Wolves and Leeds are the best sides in the division thus far, and I expect at least one to go up automatically. The challenge for top 2 is to overthrow one of them IMO. 

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Basically agree with this. I think it's clear that Wolves and Leeds are the best sides in the division thus far, and I expect at least one to go up automatically. The challenge for top 2 is to overthrow one of them IMO. 

Not quite getting the Leeds love in as much as others. They've had a VERY fortunate fixture list thus far. They go to Cardiff and Wednesday next 2. Much better barometer of where they are, in my opinion. I also think 1 or 2 of their players are luxury like and may struggle during the long winter. 

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Really?

It's ok, they will realise if we get into playoffs, lose, and then the few gems we have leave us.

I don't see how anyone can have any argument intimating that playoffs, essentially the lottery would be "success".

13 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Not quite getting the Leeds love in as much as others. They've had a VERY fortunate fixture list thus far. They go to Cardiff and Wednesday next 2. Much better barometer of where they are, in my opinion. I also think 1 or 2 of their players are luxury like and may struggle during the long winter. 

I admit I haven't been paying close attention to Leeds' fixture list. I just really like their back line. Ayling and Jansson are two of the best defenders in the division IMO.

Wolves are shoe-ins as many of us predicted before the season when they were signing ringers from Porto + a ringer manager. 2nd place is up for grabs though, don't get the 'Boro love in or the Leeds one. 

If someone asked if I would take a play-off spot now the answer would be no still, we need automatic. This is hope talking though and not expectation. Give it a few more weeks and it may well change to yes, I'd accept a play-off spot....I very much expect this will be the case. 

We'll have to deal with ACON again in the winter, this is another concern.

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Its still very early to be sure of anything.

but How long have Wolves & Leeds been having a go at getting out?.....they've had a bit more practice than us.

Edited by TRO

14 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Getting play offs would not be a failure but it would be the bare minimum really to keep Bruce in the job. I think we need a few more wins next week to get really excited about the p word. 

2 wins from the next 2 games will just merely keep the "wolf from the door"........or the "vultures from circling" ( what a brilliant line, just got visions of purple necks and a parsons nose, like turkeys:))

Its a marathon not a sprint.

just have to keep winning and see what happens.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1