17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

4 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Of all teams in the league, Villa should find FFP a problem least.

Parachute payments give yourself- and the other relegated sides- a distinct advantage as that's 40m odd the others don't have.

You also have bigger crowds than most teams, which adds up too.

What it is that's "strangled" you is the obscene wages players were on prior to relegation.

That, and a poor decision to appoint Di Matteo and back him substantially.

It may have made no difference, it may have in fact been even worse, but I'd liked to have seen what Bruce would have done with £60m or so to spend.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Parachute payments give yourself- and the other relegated sides- a distinct advantage as that's 40m odd the others don't have.

What it is that's "strangled" you is the obscene wages players were on prior to relegation.

I really don't like this attitude to the "parachute payments", you do realise that they aren't just some hand out so that relegated teams can out spend everyone and come straight back up right? They are literally there because that's how much extra teams spend on wages for largely the same players in the PL, they are there to help with those wages while teams either find buyers for those players or their contacts run down. 

Its not mismanagement either (well, you could argue for us and Sunderland it was, but we're the exceptions really), take someone like Hourihane, moving to a top championship team he's probably on about £25k a week (ish), had he moved to a low end PL team instead of us that exact same player would probably have cost them £50k a week, soley because they are in the PL where £10m transfer and £50k a week would probably get you a decent backup player.

The £40m parachute payment is not just chucked onto the budget, it's instantly absorbed by bloated player wages, leaving relegated teams with no discernable advantage over current championship teams. For example, of the 3 relegated last season, 1 is bottom, 1 is in a relegation fight and only 1 is close to the top 6, although miles from top 2

10 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

you're right just you're being a tinker in the lions den :) Anyway, there's 3 teams in this league who get more than even us so GTFO :thumb:

Still can't believe Fulham have managed to go on this run. Fair play to them. However, win today and they are still 4 points behind us. The issue we have is that they have a much much easier set of fixtures left. Those 4 games at home against Cardiff, Derby, Wolves and Leeds are massive. They could easily catch us up and we could easily fall further behind Cardiff. 

14 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Still can't believe Fulham have managed to go on this run. Fair play to them. However, win today and they are still 4 points behind us. The issue we have is that they have a much much easier set of fixtures left. Those 4 games at home against Cardiff, Derby, Wolves and Leeds are massive. They could easily catch us up and we could easily fall further behind Cardiff. 

We could. But we're not going to. We're going to win them all.

I'm expecting a controlling, dominating performance tonight against the worst side in the division.

I want to see a signal of intent from us that we mean business and are going up automatically.

36 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I'm expecting a controlling, dominating performance tonight against the worst side in the division.

I want to see a signal of intent from us that we mean business and are going up automatically.

Kiss of death ffs

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

yep any win will do. I don't expect it to be easy tonight they are fighting for their lives and possibly the future of their club.

I expect it to be easy.

Sunderland are bottom of the division for a reason.

20 minutes ago, AVFC44 said:

My God Sunderland are awful. We look like we're playing in first gear.

They are woeful.

We went 3-0 up without getting out of first gear.

Then we had a 4th disallowed, scored 2 own goals and gifted them another.

Edited by JamesBCFC

Squeaky bum time now. Can't see Fulham slipping up and Cardiff just keep on trucking.

We've got to grab second, if not then I really hope it's Fulham. I'd back us to beat Cardiff, but not Fulham. 

Flint sent off for sliding in to try and score from a cross :(

Laughable when it isn't you though.

Edit- apparently he hit a PNE player, in which case a deserved red. Radio commentary can be useless at times

Edited by JamesBCFC