17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

15 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Let's be honest, the chances of catching wolves are very remote. The thought of us not getting in the top two is worrying. I wonder if this team has the mental strength to achieve promotion through the play - off's, I can see us conceding early in the first leg and just crumbling, perish the thought, it's imperative we keep this momentum and just hope Cardiff eventually drop enough points for us to capitalize. Fingers tightly Crossed.

If you look at the form table and the number of games left, Wolves finishing outside of automatic places is on the cards.

Now I'm not suggesting I think that they will drop out, I'm just pointing out that they are riding their early lead and are far from invincible.

Just imagine Bristol finish 6th and we play them, if 5-0 is anything to go by, it won't be us doing the crumbling!

It would've been nicer to smash everyone in the league, but as long as we beat them when it counts, I can forgive some losses to the top end sides.

42 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Let's be honest, the chances of catching wolves are very remote. The thought of us not getting in the top two is worrying. I wonder if this team has the mental strength to achieve promotion through the play - off's, I can see us conceding early in the first leg and just crumbling, perish the thought, it's imperative we keep this momentum and just hope Cardiff eventually drop enough points for us to capitalize. Fingers tightly Crossed.

Based on the season so far I would say the complete opposite. I have not seen a team as mentally strong as this team in all my years as a fan. We crumbled many a time during  the reigns of BFR, Little, Gregory, MON etc. This year we always seem to bounce back. You will always have an odd blip but apart from the beginning of the season we have been right up there in terms of form. The other thing to factor in is that we might, might have Kodjia back by then. 

1 minute ago, omariqy said:

Based on the season so far I would say the complete opposite. I have not seen a team as mentally strong as this team in all my years as a fan. We crumbled many a time during  the reigns of BFR, Little, Gregory, MON etc. This year we always seem to bounce back. You will always have an odd blip but apart from the beginning of the season we have been right up there in terms of form. The other thing to factor in is that we might, might have Kodjia back by then. 

I hope you're right, I really do.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I hope you're right, I really do.

So do I. I have maintained we will finish 3rd most of the season. I don't think my heart can take playoffs though.

5 hours ago, The_Rev said:

League table since new years day. Wolves will move up to '6th' should they beat Leeds tonight, but I'm sure the form of Cardiff, Fulham and ourselves is starting to be of concern to them, they were supposed to be winning the title at about the same time as Manchester City not so long ago.   

8dIH4PM.jpg

Interesting that even a Wolves win tonight means we woud have gained 7 points on them in 10 games...and we'd be 10 behind with 11 to play. Beat them and we've gained 10 points in 11 games, and we'd be 7 behind with 10 to play. I don't think we'll catch them, but I'd say it's far from a certainty at this stage, if we both maintain our recent form it all pretty much comes down to our match with them on Saturday

6 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I take some issue about us crumbling under BFR, you do remember the Tranmere game ?

2 minutes ago, omariqy said:

So do I. I have maintained we will finish 3rd most of the season. I don't think my heart can take playoffs though.

That was kind of my point. Can you imagine the disappointment of the players should they fail to finish in the top two. You can't underestimate the impact of failing to do that, and then having to lift yourselves for the lottery of the play - off's, for me, that's no easy task.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I take some issue about us crumbling under BFR, you do remember the Tranmere game ?

Yes, although that was scant consolation for the pain of losing to Blackburn, Oldham and QPR when we should really have won the league.

For me the thing which grows in importance exponentially from now until May is character.

Earlier in the season ability counts for more - and Wolves best 11 have that.

Ability etc gets you in with a chance but character ( and luck) will make the difference.

I have no idea about the character of Wolves or Fulham, or that of their Managers. I’ve no idea of the character of Cardiff’s players.

They May all be terrific.

But I DO know the character of our players and Manager. I’m happy putting my faith on that.

Edited by terrytini

7 hours ago, weedman said:

Interesting that even a Wolves win tonight means we woud have gained 7 points on them in 10 games...and we'd be 10 behind with 11 to play. Beat them and we've gained 10 points in 11 games, and we'd be 7 behind with 10 to play. I don't think we'll catch them, but I'd say it's far from a certainty at this stage, if we both maintain our recent form it all pretty much comes down to our match with them on Saturday

Will be very tough game .

Edited by Eastie

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

Free hit on the weekend for me. If we can take anything out of the Wolves game it's a bonus in our quest for promotion.

Would obviously be great to win and there's no reason we cant (have to keep Neves and Cavaleiro quiet though) but whatever Leeds do tonight against them it's all about us. The first Wolves game really knocked the stuffing out of us at the time, we had our tails up then too. But whatever the outcome we'll have QPR on the horizon pretty quickly and it's on with the job.

It's all in our own hands.

1) Winning against Wolves isn't a bonus if we want second place, its pretty much mandatory if Cardiff also win.

2) Its not in our hands at all, its in Cardiff's hands.    

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ender4 said:

1) Winning against Wolves isn't a bonus if we want second place, its pretty much mandatory if Cardiff also win.

1) Agree

2) It's basically in our hands. Beat Cardiff in that 6 pointer and we are 1 point off deciding our own fate.

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Yup. We have to beat Wolves if we want to have a good chance of catching them or Cardiff.

39 minutes ago, terrytini said:

For me the thing which grows in importance exponentially from now until May is character.

Earlier in the season ability counts for more - and Wolves best 11 have that.

Ability etc gets you in with a chance but character ( and luck) will make the difference.

I have no idea about the character of Wolves or Fulham, or that of their Managers. I’ve no idea of the character of Cardiff’s players.

They May all be terrific.

But I DO know the character of our players and Manager. I’m happy putting my faith on that.

Absolutely, but I'd still argue it'll take a little more than just character to beat Wolves. We haven't exactly outplayed any of the teams in and around us. In fact we've thus far struggled against most of our main contenders.

Regardless, I think I've reached the point where if we do beat Wolves (and/or Cardiff), I'll actually start to believe (for real) we will achieve automatic promotion.

E. We're not there yet.

Edited by vreitti
  • Like 1

If we somehow were champions this would be one of the biggest achievements since finishing runners up in the premier league. Bruce would go down as one of our greats if he somehow managed that.