17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

18 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

My overall point is, there is no denying that we have lost points we could/should have gained, due to poor decision making.

The 2 players out on injured are/were indeed pivotal, but with the "squad" we have we should be able to limp results, at the very least.

Some of the team selections/tactics were baffling, WITH the backup players we had/have at our disposal.

Obviously i'm bricking it because i'm not sure I have confidence in us going on another run as we have prior.

I genuinely feel talented individuals paper over the cracks of some poor tactics/team selections.

Don't get me wrong I always give credit when it's due to Bruce also.

If it's a case where we were sitting pretty , I wouldn't be as concerned about the dropped points, however at those very times myself, and others I'm sure pointed out that those are the results which may well come back to bite us in the arse at the end.

It is also telling that we have to go on championship form winning runs to sustain our places.

Re: the squad, do you genuinely think any of the "Top 5" Managers maybe bar Wolves, would not thrive with/love and utilise our squad better with tactical nous?

I'm sure you've answered these questions in depth already but i'm just thinking out loud.

In closing, basically i'm not trying to have a go at anyone, but I feel we make too many excuses for ourselves and need to just admit when we've dropped a bollock or 2, or 9.

We have much ore resources than almost all the clubs in the League.

That maybe so, but the strangulation of FFP, resembling an attack of Japanese Knotweed.....it isn't much help really.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Ikantcpell said:

Went to watch Villa yesterday. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. We just didn't turn up.

^This^

Total no show from the players yesterday. What was the manager thinking of, restraining them like that? Bruce out!

5 hours ago, NASTY_LEE said:

Our run included thrashing a Bristol team that had just dumped Utd out the cup and Sheff Utd away who were strongly placed. You can only beat what's in front of you. If we played Derby tomorrow I'd be confident of putting them away. 

A Bristol team who have gone on to win 1 in 13 and a sheff utd team who’s won 1 in 7 at the time - we played 2 form teams in Fulham and Preston and got 1 point from 6 .

fulham played 3 of the top 5 in wolves villa and derby and took 9 from 9 .

id also be confident in putting derby away - it will go to the wire between us and Fulham I believe for 2nd and 3rd .

lets not doubt both teams have had an incredible last 10 games and are in the mix - can we do it , yes !

2 hours ago, HAL said:

if we have grealish and adomah fit then we can win anyway . Without them we will struggle

This. If they are fit until the end of the season we will go up in second I believe. If they stay in and out the team we will struggle. Not surprisingly we need our best players to be fit to look convincing!

1 hour ago, mikeyjavfc said:

This. If they are fit until the end of the season we will go up in second I believe. If they stay in and out the team we will struggle. Not surprisingly we need our best players to be fit to look convincing!

We will go up as will fulham - in some ways the glory of getting a Wembley win and a trophy appeals but I’d still prefer to do it in 2nd place .

Either villa or Fulham will come 2nd and whoever of the 2 is in the playoffs will win promotion  at Wembley.

Not bothered by Cardiff , derby or boro . 

‘Forget the rest .

Edited by Eastie

Fulham winning against Derby was an awful result. Im just hoping that Fulham could do worse against the lesser teams.

If Wolves and Cardiff lost their next games with us winning, things will get interesting as all of us are playing each other, so if we win against the two of them we will be above Cardiff by two points and behind Wolves by 4. Anything could happen from point.

Lets just keep momentum and win against Sunderland (which isnt an easy game at all they kept coming back on games lately) and hope teams around us fail to win their games.

• Like 1

Someone at work just told me that Wolves would now be without Neves for our game because of their Saturday fixture being called off. Is this right? Is he out for two games, because they have Leeds on Wednesday night before us.

It doesn’t sound right to me, as I thought he was only out for one. But if true, that’s good for us.

1 minute ago, Rob182 said:

Someone at work just told me that Wolves would now be without Neves for our game because of their Saturday fixture being called off. Is this right? Is he out for two games, because they have Leeds on Wednesday night before us.

It doesn’t sound right to me, as I thought he was only out for one. But if true, that’s good for us.

No, if tomorrows games is called off then he will be ineligible....almost impossible now!

I believe neves received a 2 match ban, the first of which was against Fulham.

as mentioned, the dog heads play Leeds midweek which should mean he’ll be available to play against us on the weekend...

23 hours ago, TRO said:

That maybe so, but the strangulation of FFP, resembling an attack of Japanese Knotweed.....it isn't much help really.

Of all teams in the league, Villa should find FFP a problem least.

Parachute payments give yourself- and the other relegated sides- a distinct advantage as that's 40m odd the others don't have.

You also have bigger crowds than most teams, which adds up too.

What it is that's "strangled" you is the obscene wages players were on prior to relegation.

• Like 1

We screwed ourselves over by buying a load of players for inflated fees. We probably pissed away £30-40m on players who just won’t contribute to our promotion push. 

The other side of the “strangulation” would be we’ve got the money, but can’t spend it because of our initial rash spending.

Anyway, all FFP talk, it’s for another thread.

March fixtures. Sunderland, Wolves, QPR, Bolton, Hull.

Should aim for the full 15 points, but be fairly pleased with 12? That would put us on 75 points with 7 games to play.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

March fixtures. Sunderland, Wolves, QPR, Bolton, Hull.

Should aim for the full 15 points, but be fairly pleased with 12? That would put us on 75 points with 7 games to play.

12 would be more than acceptable from that list of fixtures. 

• Like 2

On 3/3/2018 at 16:39, Demitri_C said:

They are peaking at the right time. But goes to show it is possible. I suggested mitrovic and people said he is over rated. At this level he is very good. 

Fulham have been very lucky with injuries though that can’t be denied.

I would have loved Mitrovic as well, and mentioned we should have gone for him in january.

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Of all teams in the league, Villa should find FFP a problem least.

Parachute payments give yourself- and the other relegated sides- a distinct advantage as that's 40m odd the others don't have.

You also have bigger crowds than most teams, which adds up too.

What it is that's "strangled" you is the obscene wages players were on prior to relegation.

We also have bigger expectation to go with it.....

Personally, I think it has been one of the hardest jobs in the division with possibly the exception of Sunderland, for the above reason.

The overheads we have creates pressure....It cooks some folk.

I understand the disadvantages of the Brentfords and The Barnsley's , but not to be disrespectful they are indigenous of the division, thus the bills to go with it......We have spent most of our life in the top division, so the pressure to get back and pay the bills is enormous, also everyone raises their game when they come to our place, but hey!!  we just have to deal with that. We have even had to close a section of our stadium, how many other teams have had to succumb to those austerity measures.....Its not been plain sailing for us.

The pressure , has been a consideration of the manager in bringing in experience to try to handle it.