17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I’m s big Leeds fan tomorrow, if they fail to win tomorrow and we win on Saturday it’s onky four points between us and them. That would be incredible 

but I expect them to win. 

Leeds have won 1 in 10......I'm not  banking on anything from Leeds.

Edited by TRO

22 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

If we don't get 2nd I'd rather Fulham get it on the basis that they play good football and I really. really, don't want to have them in the playoffs. Any other team I would fancy us to beat them.

Alan mcInally waxing lyrical about Fulham tonight......must admit they have many players with a premiership standard  first touch.

43 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

If we don't get 2nd I'd rather Fulham get it on the basis that they play good football and I really. really, don't want to have them in the playoffs. Any other team I would fancy us to beat them.

Yep much rather have to face Cardiff in the play offs than Fulham if it has to come to that.

22 minutes ago, TRO said:

Leeds have won 1 in 10......I'm not  banking on anything from Leeds.

They were really poor v Boro, don't think heckingbotham will be making next season.

We should be beating them comfortably at VP in April.

20 minutes ago, TRO said:

Alan mcInally waxing lyrical about Fulham tonight......must admit they have many players with a premiership standard  first touch.

We moan about our poor start to the season but good job Fulham didn't start playing in this league until xmas!

They'd be above even Wolves.

• Like 2

I'm not quite getting the sudden worrying about Fulham, I get the feeling people have seen them charge up the table where as we have not really moved which gives the false impression they are on a much better run of form than Villa and gaining on us quickly. 

If you look at the last 10 games though (before which Fulham were sat 10th in the league and already only 5 points behind us) 

Fulham W8 D2 L0 Pts26

Villa      W8 D1 L1 Pts25

The reality is they have only taken 1 point more than us from their last 10 games (3 of them against us as well!) Or 3 points more over the last 20 games whilst on this crazy run of form people are talking about and we spent a few games without 2 of our most creative players. 

I'm confident if we can avoid injuries we'll keep our run of form going, the critical games will be Wolves/Cardiff/Derby as we've struggled all season against the teams around us with Bruce's negative tactics setting up to play for the draw.  Fulham/Cardiff will drop more points this season but not enough for us to get away with dropping 9 points against Wolves/Cardiff/Derby. Hopefully he's learnt this by now and comes out all guns blazing.

There is no doubt though that if we were to miss out Fulham are a better team now after a bad start than Cardiff and I would rather avoid them in playoffs.

Edited by avfc12
  • Like 1

Yes we had a great run, but the look of our performances against Fulham, PNE and Wednesday, we really seemed an average team. Although we didnt have our arguably 2 of our best 3, but still our bad performance against Fulham cant be erased from our mind. As long as they keep winning (by couple of goal) as long as this nightmare will continue.

The scary thing is that theyre winning against top teams, 

Wolves, Us, Derby, Sheff U and couple of other teams in this run.

We will still have to play Wolves, Derby and Cardiff. Although home games but still hard games.

If Wolves fail to win tonight then thats the best result this week after our winning. It will be up to us to drag them back to this thread again. :D

Now nine points above 7th place, which is significant.  Minimum objective this season would have been a play off spot and we are not far away from that now.   I must admit with others that if we fail to get a top two place, I would like to avoid Wolves and Fulham in the play offs.   If Wolves fail to win this evening and we beat them on Saturday, then the top two spots will be wide open again.   C'mon Dirty Leeds. 

8 hours ago, rubberman said:

Is that the Fulham team in 4th place, with the 3 teams above them also having 1 or 2 games in hand? Not really "massively destroying" in my book. They're doing well, but have to rely on others throwing away the automatic spots. 

Have you see the teams they are beating? I would say they are destroying this league. They have beaten the best in the league with ease and that includes us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

Now nine points above 7th place, which is significant.  Minimum objective this season would have been a play off spot and we are not far away from that now.   I must admit with others that if we fail to get a top two place, I would like to avoid Wolves and Fulham in the play offs.   If Wolves fail to win this evening and we beat them on Saturday, then the top two spots will be wide open again.   C'mon Dirty Leeds. 

if its play offs we have to finish 3rd or 4th. I obviously want 2nd but if it comes to play offs I would prefer finish 3rd and hope Preston finish 6th as I think we would beat them over two legs with a near full strength side

if fulham are in the play offs we have to at all costs avoid a two leg game against them. Boro is another tough one but I think they are more beatable than Fulham. Derby or Cardiff I would fancy us over two legs

All I know is the leg at Villa Park would be a complete sell out not many teams will fancy coming to face us with that 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

if its play offs we have to finish 3rd or 4th. I obviously want 2nd but if it comes to play offs I would prefer finish 3rd and hope Preston finish 6th as I think we would beat them over two legs with a near full strength side

if fulham are in the play offs we have to at all costs avoid a two leg game against them. Boro is another tough one but I think they are more beatable than Fulham. Derby or Cardiff I would fancy us over two legs

All I know is the leg at Villa Park would be a complete sell out not many teams will fancy coming to face us with that 

Agreed.  Don't think anyone would fancy a second leg at a packed Villa Park. 

2 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Agreed.  Don't think anyone would fancy a second leg at a packed Villa Park. 

I would also like to add that although we would want to avoid Fulham, they have a terrible record at Villa Park like we do at their place. It really could go either way 

It's going to be very competitive in the race for 2nd and it wouldn't surprise me at all if it comes down to the final day with 3 teams still in the hunt. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, avfc12 said:

I'm not quite getting the sudden worrying about Fulham, I get the feeling people have seen them charge up the table where as we have not really moved which gives the false impression they are on a much better run of form than Villa and gaining on us quickly. 

If you look at the last 10 games though (before which Fulham were sat 10th in the league and already only 5 points behind us) 

Fulham W8 D2 L0 Pts26

Villa      W8 D1 L1 Pts25

The reality is they have only taken 1 point more than us from their last 10 games (3 of them against us as well!) Or 3 points more over the last 20 games whilst on this crazy run of form people are talking about and we spent a few games without 2 of our most creative players. 

I'm confident if we can avoid injuries we'll keep our run of form going, the critical games will be Wolves/Cardiff/Derby as we've struggled all season against the teams around us with Bruce's negative tactics setting up to play for the draw.  Fulham/Cardiff will drop more points this season but not enough for us to get away with dropping 9 points against Wolves/Cardiff/Derby. Hopefully he's learnt this by now and comes out all guns blazing.

There is no doubt though that if we were to miss out Fulham are a better team now after a bad start than Cardiff and I would rather avoid them in playoffs.

I think it's because of the teams they have beaten on that run. Most of the top 6. 

So now we need them to slip up against weaker opposition. 

51 minutes ago, villa89 said:

It's going to be very competitive in the race for 2nd and it wouldn't surprise me at all if it comes down to the final day with 3 teams still in the hunt. 

If we are not clear in 2nd by last two i dont fancy us for 2nd home to derby and away to millwall. two tough games. our rovals have much easier games for last two

So we have to hope we get 2nd before those 

• Like 1

I personally would fancy us against Fulham over two legs. We were missing our two best players against them and there really wasn't much in the game. At home we were very comfortable. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If we are not clear in 2nd by last two i dont fancy us for 2nd home to derby and away to millwall. two tough games. our rovals have much easier games for last two

So we have to hope we get 2nd before those 

derby have been found out, rowett has no plan b which is why they a dropping so many points now and i cant see that changing. milwall won 8 out of 18 at home it's a mid table home record at best. i wouldn't be to worried about either of these teams especially if we are playing for second.

if we can beat wolves on saturday it'll be shaping up for a fantastic end to a season.