17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

2 minutes ago, terrytini said:

We are doing fine. All but matching Fulham ( who WILL drop Points) and in front of the rest.

Loads of Points to play for - bonkers to talk about it being all over, it’ll go to end of April at least.

Im very very confident we can finish in the Top 2 and won’t change that view just because our rivals win.

Bravo!!!

36 minutes ago, TRO said:

Well, they have'nt been this formidable all season, hence my comment.

Fair point but Mitrovic has only started the last 4 games so the outstanding form has started without him. I'm hoping Grabban can be our Mitrovic. 

• Like 1

Nah we're doomed,:trollface:

On a serious note though, match being off might be a blessing in disguise.

More time to get players back, and more time to have Jack and Adomah closer to full fitness.

Hopefully they remain fit for the rest of the run in.

Then we should be ok.

The key for me is twofold.

Ive always thought we have really good quality in the squad, and in addition I now see in us big signs of what I have always regarded as the most priceless and hard to get quality in football.

It’s that we have started to look - overall - like a team that doesn’t  know when we are beaten....weve won  lots recently but the key ones for me were the 2 Sheffield games...

Yes of course we had two poor results but all teams will, I really like that Wednesday showing, to come back twice to Win, after a poor week....bodes well.

Character is worth a few points in the run in....not saying no other team has it ( I don’t watch them enough)....but we definitely do. 

I just can't see an automatic spot being ours, and I couldn't call a play off bid.

If Cardiff stumble I think it's a lot more likely Fulham would seize the opportunity rather than us. Not only are they hitting form at the right time but they also have a significantly easier run in.

I think we'd arguably be third favourites as it stands, with only 12 games to go I've still not seen us put in more than two or three really good performances this season - instead grinding out results. Furthermore we struggle against top 6 teams. Our quality means we're practically nailed on for a playoff spot but I think our start this season, coupled with our fragility if we lose a first teamed, means we won't make the Top 2.

So then it's all playoff drama...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

We are doing fine. All but matching Fulham ( who WILL drop Points) and in front of the rest.

Loads of Points to play for - bonkers to talk about it being all over, it’ll go to end of April at least.

Im very very confident we can finish in the Top 2 and won’t change that view just because our rivals win.

Well said! I have been saying this since before Christmas and it is still true, loads of twists and turns yet. We are just about to reach the crunch point, then when the pressure is on who will hold their nerve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

I’m very confident we will finish in the top 3 - too close to call between villa and Fulham - could go to the last game .

i think ultimately wolves villa and Fulham will all be in the premiership next season - just not sure which one will be through  the play offs .

34 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Well said! I have been saying this since before Christmas and it is still true, loads of twists and turns yet. We are just about to reach the crunch point, then when the pressure is on who will hold their nerve.

Crunch point ? Ah the tickly bit , you mean :)

To be honest I thought Fulham would go up last season in the play offs but they seemed to bottle it at the worst moment under pressure .

Edited by Eastie

12 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I’m very confident we will finish in the top 3 - too close to call between villa and Fulham - could go to the last game .

i think ultimately wolves villa and Fulham will all be in the premiership next season - just not sure which one will be through  the play offs .

Easy, Wolves.

3 minutes ago, NASTY_LEE said:

For all this talk of Fulham's form, they are only 1 point better off over the last 6 games and that includes 3 against us. There's no need to panic yet.

Look at their fixtures who they have come up against and makes it much more impressive 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Crunch point ? Ah the tickly bit , you mean :)

To be honest I thought Fulham would go up last season in the play offs but they seemed to bottle it at the worst moment under pressure .

Haha yes the tickly bit, I have not heard that way of putting it before. 

I am hoping the experience of John Terry, Snodgrass, Grabban etc can hold us together during this part of the season.

It is also telling that we have to go on championship form winning runs to sustain our places

Not really. We want to be in the top 2, we need to show top 2 form. And we are there or thereabouts so far.. Our form since the first three games is championship winning and it needs to be because that is what we're trying to do. 

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Funny how we ALWAYS have an excuse, with the most expensive squad in the League.

Either "They are the form team in the League" "They are the best team in the League" "If they had the injuries we did" "Even Wolves drew with them last week" "It's always difficult at their ground, especially on a cold Tuesday night" and the cow jumped over the moon, every time we throw away points/positions.

If i'm being frank, shit team selections/setup and bad judgement have seen us throw away points when we shouldn't have.

How are there so many "better, best" teams than us when we have spent more money than all of them. lol

Love the second paragraph though even if the rest isn't my bag :thumb:

Taking current league standings as the measure, both Cardiff and Fulham have easier opposition than us in the run in.  The average league standing for our remaining games is 12.3, Cardiff's is 13.3 and Fulham's is 14.7

Suggests to me that we're more likely to be finishing 4th than 2nd as we stand.

Looking at the individual games, i'm expecting 27/36 points leaving us on 90 pts.

I'm expecting 24/36 for Cardiff, leaving them on 91 pts.

And 30/33 for Fulham, leaving them on 92 pts.

I'm sure this isn't how it'll all go down, but its what i think about the games right now.  So i'm less than confident at the moment.

23 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Taking current league standings as the measure, both Cardiff and Fulham have easier opposition than us in the run in.  The average league standing for our remaining games is 12.3, Cardiff's is 13.3 and Fulham's is 14.7

Suggests to me that we're more likely to be finishing 4th than 2nd as we stand.

Looking at the individual games, i'm expecting 27/36 points leaving us on 90 pts.

I'm expecting 24/36 for Cardiff, leaving them on 91 pts.

And 30/33 for Fulham, leaving them on 92 pts.

I'm sure this isn't how it'll all go down, but its what i think about the games right now.  So i'm less than confident at the moment.

Has there ever been a Championship season when the top four teams all finished with 90 points or more?