17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Think SB will play for draws at Derby and Boro. It's just in his blood. Can't really predict Brentford as we're usually terrible against their style of play with quick 1-2s showing up our midfield. That could be another back to the wall job.

I certainly don't think we'll get beaten at both Derby and Boro. He'll make sure we're well drilled and stubborn - that's definitely in his blood.

But he is trying to make us a counter attacking team away from home. Both of those teams like to play open so I think we have a chance.

Just thinking about it all is terrifying at the moment! 

A Rowett team plays open attacking football, that's news to me unless you mean Boro-Brentford?;)

Derby away will be the sort where both teams would rather the other has the ball and wait for a mistake. One goal will probably decide it.

Bring it on I say, it's not like we're trying to chase down Man. City or desperately struggling to even win a game at the bottom of the league. It's nice to be at the right end of a football table for once at a key part of the season.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

A Rowett team plays open attacking football, that's news to me unless you mean Boro-Brentford?;)

Derby away will be the sort where both teams would rather the other has the ball and wait for a mistake. One goal will probably decide it.

Bring it on I say, it's not like we're trying to chase down Man. City or desperately struggling to even win a game at the bottom of the league. It's nice to be at the right end of a football table for once at a key part of the season.

And to echo that it will be even better if we are automatically promoted with a game in hand.

I don't know how I feel about SHA Wolves on Monday. If blooose pull off a shock win we have actually made ground on the leaders. If they bottle it (most likely) they cement their place in the relegation spots. A win-win I suppose. 

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I don't know how I feel about SHA Wolves on Monday. If blooose pull off a shock win we have actually made ground on the leaders. If they bottle it (most likely) they cement their place in the relegation spots. A win-win I suppose. 

They have no chance.....the only chance they have is against teams with limited movement.

They are toast.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

We beat Millwall next week as we should do and Cardiff lose to whoever they're playing away. Gap is 4 points. We beat Cardiff at VP in April, gap is 1 point. Of course there's plenty of football to be played before that but that's how gaps get reduced.

Cardiff aren't going to keep on winning forever, they will drop points soon. We need to make sure though we don't draw or lose when they do.

There's still over 70 points to be played for, bit silly to be raising the white flag.

There you go again. Who raised a white flag? I pointed out, correctly, that we are playing well and getting good results and yet still haven't closed the gap. 

That's a fact whether you like or not, unlike your assertion that we will beat Cardiff and they will lose next week whilst we win. What if we lose next week and they win? What if they beat us at VP. That makes it a 13 points gap. Totally irrelevant thinking about that. 

We haven't closed the gap despite a good run.

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 1

Yes but Cardiff don't have the resources we do. They don't have a 9m forward as back up to Kodjia. They don't have Lansbury as back up midfielder. They don't have the money to go out and get Snodgrass on a season long loan. I was just pointing out that electric front three they have that ripped us to pieces in August has been missing for a decent part of the season.

The resources comment is a completely different subject. No one is disputing that Cardiff have done excellent well. I am just pointing out that the spine of our side has been missing a majority of the season. A host of clubs around us have not had that therefore it's been fortunate on their part unlike us.

as for their august teAm have you checked the team that played yesterday to that side? We had no adomah, snodgrass, , Davis, grealish and hourihane was on the bench. I don't believe for a second they would beat us 3-0 if we played them there tomorrow.

they may win but I think we would be more than capable on winning there now. Hopefully we will have a full strength side fir the game at a packed villa park to se the record straight

The reason sheffield utd have had a bit of a wobble of late is the same one i believe that Cardiff will hit sooner rather than later. Injuries. They've had none. Sheffield Utd have lost 3 first teamers and it's suddenly not as easy for them as it was up to a month ago. Let Cardiff get on with their own business and we need to look after ourselves and be ready when they slide because they will. 

Edited by Johnnyp
mistake
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

There you go again. Who raised a white flag? I pointed out, correctly, that we are playing well and getting good results and yet still haven't closed the gap. 

That's a fact whether you like or not, unlike your assertion that we will beat Cardiff and they will lose next week whilst we win. What if we lose next week and they win? What if they beat us at VP. That makes it a 13 points gap. Totally irrelevant thinking about that. 

We haven't closed the gap despite a good run.

13 points and counting and we'd need miracles.

Just don't see why 7 points with over 70 left to play for is near impossible or whatever you said.

As I've said we've just been unlucky that Cardiff have decided to go on a 4 match unbeaten run as at the same time we did hence gap hasn't been closed.

Edited by VillaChris

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

The reason sheffield utd have had a bit of a wobble of late is the same one i believe that Cardiff will hit sooner rather than later. Injuries. They've had none. Sheffield Utd have lost 3 first teamers and it's suddenly not as easy for them as it was up to a month ago. Let Cardiff get on with their own business and we need to look after ourselves and be ready when they slide because they will. 

Read earlier on in the thread. Cardiff have had 2 of their best players out injured for a while. 

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

The right end of the wrong table. It is shit. It is not as if we are tearing it up either, we are playing shit and scraping wins over second class clubs. No enjoyment in it for me. Sorry.

• Like 1

13 points and counting and we'd need miracles.

Just don't see why 7 points with over 70 left to play for is near impossible or whatever you said.

As I've said we've just been unlucky that Cardiff have decided to go on a 4 match unbeaten run as at the same time we did hence gap hasn't been closed.

We have 2 other teams between us and 2nd. And I never said it was "near impossible" at any point so I'd appreciate not being misquoted I order for you to make a point. 

I did say it was unlikely and I maintain that. Why are you unwilling to accept that? 

Do you think it's more likely that we finish in the top 2 than outside it? Genuine question.

Edited by One For The Road