17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

Given the fixtures I expected the rest of the top 6 all to win this weekend and the fact that Sheff Utd lost is therefore a bonus. We had the toughest game and I was pleased with a point.

We have put a good foundation in place and there is still all to play for. I am still very confident we'll be promoted.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think it's a good result for us. Can't see Bristol City sustaining this run but Boro will be there or there abouts. 

With the calibre of club promoted to the Premier League in recent years it really wouldnt surprise me if Bristol City or Sheff U went up automatically.

If youd have told me ten years ago that the likes of Huddersfield, Brighton, Bournemouth etc would be in the Premier League Id never have believed you.

5 minutes ago, turvontour said:

With the calibre of club promoted to the Premier League in recent years it really wouldnt surprise me if Bristol City or Sheff U went up automatically.

If youd have told me ten years ago that the likes of Huddersfield, Brighton, Bournemouth etc would be in the Premier League Id never have believed you.

That's true. I do like Bristol City's manager and the way he wants them to play.

I just think their squad will end up being to light.  But that is an assumption though as I don't know that much about them beyond the fact they try to play a possession game, they have Nathan Baker, and they have a top player in Bobby Reid. 

They were poor last season though so it would be a big leap to promotion. 

10 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Given the fixtures I expected the rest of the top 6 all to win this weekend and the fact that Sheff Utd lost is therefore a bonus. We had the toughest game and I was pleased with a point.

We have put a good foundation in place and there is still all to play for. I am still very confident we'll be promoted.

You expected Bristol to win? 

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

We have 2 other teams between us and 2nd. And I never said it was "near impossible" at any point so I'd appreciate not being misquoted I order for you to make a point. 

I did say it was unlikely and I maintain that. Why are you unwilling to accept that? 

Do you think it's more likely that we finish in the top 2 than outside it? Genuine question.

I'm confident we'll get 80 + points this season. Automatic promotion teams get 80 + points. It's another 15 wins from 26 teams. Given we've won 9 of our last 13 (many without Kodjia and Terry). Do you not think we're capable of that?

I've thought since the Preston away team we've started to have the look of a top 2 team. We can win three times in a week now, don't concede many and finally midfielders are chipping in with goals. These were the things Newcastle and Brighton were pretty good at last season.

We rarely lose at home and are increasingly winning away games. Again usually a combination that has top 2.

Note I've said since Preston as before that we dropped silly points like Hull and Reading games. Cardiff won their first five league games so they had 10 point head start over us after 5 games.

If you want to spin it we've then cut the gap from then.

• Like 1

Bristol City have a tougher set of fixtures than us this month. Big test for them. If they come out of it in a similar position then that means they would have made ground on the top two and got away from us. Fair play if they do that. They have Sheff United, Wolves,  Us, QPR and a League Cup quarter final to think about.

37 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That's true. I do like Bristol City's manager and the way he wants them to play.

I just think their squad will end up being to light.  But that is an assumption though as I don't know that much about them beyond the fact they try to play a possession game, they have Nathan Baker, and they have a top player in Bobby Reid. 

They were poor last season though so it would be a big leap to promotion. 

Do  you reckon they're good enough yet not to bottle Small Heath at home this season? Still annoys me they couldn't come up with a goal to relegate them last season.

Think this will be the key point for who gets 2nd.This is Cardiff's run over Easter:

17th March- Derby v Cardiff

30th March- Cardiff- Burton

2nd April- Sheffield United- Cardiff

7th April- Cardiff- Wolves

10th April- Villa- Cardiff

14th April- Norwich- Cardiff

How about all that. Have to play Wolves and then 3 days later come to Villa Park. In a week they play Sheffield United, Wolves and us. After all that they have a long trip to Norwich who may be in the play off mix.

If they come through all that unbeaten or with a few wins then fair play but I dunno I'd be confident of 2nd if we're within 5 points of them on March 17th.

30 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Think this will be the key point for who gets 2nd.This is Cardiff's run over Easter:

How about all that. Have to play Wolves and then 3 days later come to Villa Park. In a week they play Sheffield United, Wolves and us. After all that they have a long trip to Norwich who may be in the play off mix.

If they come through all that unbeaten or with a few wins then fair play but I dunno I'd be confident of 2nd if we're within 5 points of them on March 17th.

Wow that is a tough run of fixtures!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I said this earlier in the thread. Cardiff have so bloody tough fixtures at the most testing time of the season while ours are certainly more favourable on paper. Therefore if we are in or around them I fancy our chances.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think it's a good result for us. Can't see Bristol City sustaining this run but Boro will be there or there abouts. 

I agree boro are a much bigger threat to us despite their league position. The gap helps us

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I'm confident we'll get 80 + points this season. Automatic promotion teams get 80 + points. It's another 15 wins from 26 teams. Given we've won 9 of our last 13 (many without Kodjia and Terry). Do you not think we're capable of that?

I've thought since the Preston away team we've started to have the look of a top 2 team. We can win three times in a week now, don't concede many and finally midfielders are chipping in with goals. These were the things Newcastle and Brighton were pretty good at last season.

We rarely lose at home and are increasingly winning away games. Again usually a combination that has top 2.

Note I've said since Preston as before that we dropped silly points like Hull and Reading games. Cardiff won their first five league games so they had 10 point head start over us after 5 games.

If you want to spin it we've then cut the gap from then.

You still haven't answered my question though. Which do you think is more likely. Us finishing in the top 2, or us finishing outside the top 2?

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Oof.  That is vicious. 

Excellent!

I think it's been a decent weekend with the results to be honest. I think realistically everyone expected all our rivals to win and that we'd probably lose.

Instead Sheffield United have dropped points again. We have kept Leeds away, and even though Bristol City won, we are now one point further away from Boro. Sheffield Wednesday who have the quality to challenge also slipped up last minute. 

Frustratingly Derby picked up the late goal to beat Burton, but everyone expected them to walk all over them. 

10 hours ago, One For The Road said:

You still haven't answered my question though. Which do you think is more likely. Us finishing in the top 2, or us finishing outside the top 2?

I believe we'll finish 2nd. I think it's likely as I believe Cardiff will struggle second half of the season with all the tough away games they have. We've visited most of them and much more confident facing the top side at VP.

Still a good 10 or so points off Wolves.

It's not like I'm deluded bigging up our chances. In 15/16 I called relegation as early as the West Brom home game (in September) as we had nothing in our team that year to win games. I also thought we'd go down in the Lambert first season so that was a pleasant surprise.

Last season I never thought at any stage we'd get in the play offs despite the excitement when we had a good run this time last year and again in March.

We weren't ready as a team or club. This time I do think we're ready.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You expected Bristol to win? 

At home against Boro then yes I did but in fairness any result in that game would not have been a surprise. I guess it was a bit similar to our game against Leeds in that regard I just think that Bristol City being at home swayed it in their favour.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

At home against Boro then yes I did but in fairness any result in that game would not have been a surprise. I guess it was a bit similar to our game against Leeds in that regard I just think that Bristol City being at home swayed it in their favour.

Watching the game it did not surprise me that Bristol won.....They faded a little and 'Borough came back in to it, but there was only one winner for me.

The pass and move very well and with Baker have a bit of muscle at the back......Bobby Reid is in a bit of the Dwight Gayle mould and moves around the front line very well, quite effevescent and dangerous.

Its all about injuries and suspensions and keeping KEY players free from it.....but they look a good side to me.

Interesting interview with their Mark Aston 

( Chief operating officer) at the end of last season and how they made a change to their coaching staff.

• Like 1