17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

Id say that last nights result was OK in isolation but we really need to draw fewer games if automatic promotion is to be a possibility. 

We're still drawing a third of our games, the same as last season. 

Last year the top 3 or 4 were drawing once every six games, this season the top few are drawing one every ten! 

I dont know whether its telling us that we are not adventurous enough, or simply not good enough. But also that we're generally good enough not to lose. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Id say that last nights result was OK in isolation but we really need to draw fewer games if automatic promotion is to be a possibility. 

We're still drawing a third of our games, the same as last season. 

Last year the top 3 or 4 were drawing once every six games, this season the top few are drawing one every ten! 

I dont know whether its telling us that we are not adventurous enough, or simply not good enough. But also that we're generally good enough not to lose. 

Agreed about last night. In isolation it's a good point and a nice come back performance. 

However we were 7pts off 2nd place on September 1st and 3 months later the gap is the same. 

The awful start and the form of those above means we need to do more and I'm not sure we are capable of it. 

• Like 2

Cardiff's form is a real bugger. But can't be unhappy today, 4 games without terry and 10 points. Match this form in the second part of the season, reverse those results against Cardiff and Reading and we'll make that gap up. 

It's not just cardiffs form, they have had minimal injuries and played a majority of the top sides at home as opposed to us who have played all the top sides away barring Sheffield united at first part of the season.

10 hours ago, KSV said:

Take 4 attackers from Wolves starting side and their best defender. They be lucky to be in the top 6. This is what we have had to deal with. We just need to make the play offs. Top 2 is unrealistic.. as without 5 of our best players for long periods of time.. i just dont think we have enough to beat the top sides. If we can somehow make the play offs.. maybe a one or two loan signings in January.. we may make a push come play off time. Brucey i believe has been promoted 4 times all via play offs correct? Hes got a good record. 

So you have to take away half of their starting XI for them to be on our level :lol:

We can't finish top 2 because we can't beat the top sides, but we just need to finish in the playoffs...where we will be facing, wait for it...top sides? 

So you're basically banking everything on "Brucey's" playoff record. Man, you're going to be in for a world of hurt is all I can say.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

So you have to take away half of their starting XI for them to be on our level :lol:

We can't finish top 2 because we can't beat the top sides, but we just need to finish in the playoffs...where we will be facing, wait for it...top sides? 

So you're basically banking everything on "Brucey's" playoff record. Man, you're going to be in for a world of hurt is all I can say.

Would argue the top sides have trouble beating us.

cardiff was second game of season and was not same team we have today, wolves the only other side.

boro, at home we should have won I accept that and we would have hogan didn't block hourihane goal. 

We haven't lost at leeds, Bristol city either. Minus the top two away from home next few weeks will be interesting. As we play those around us I fancy us to pick up a couple wins against those around us.

16 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Incorrect. Cardiff are missing their main forward atm (Zahore hasn't played for over a month) and Mendez-Laing only returned last night after a few weeks on the sidelines so that's two of the front three that ripped us apart in August who have been out.

Their main midfielder Aron Gunnarsson has also missed a lot recently.

I think people are confusing "Cardiff haven't had many injuries" for "I couldn't name more than three Cardiff players so wouldn't have a clue whos injured when I see their starting 11".;)

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-city-injury-bulletin-neil-13936154

That was just last week.

Cardiff will be more of a threat than Sheffield United. Just a much more experienced manager and squad at this level. They won't be going away. That said I'd be amazed if they get 90 + points.

They will go on a winless run at some stage. We need to make sure we can capitalise when they do that.

This is a good post. We have to beat them and the other top sides and hope they struggle away to the better sides.

That gap is 7 points again. 

At the risk of being called a "doom monger" for just being realistic, I can't see how we are meant to close that gap.

We are playing well and getting good results and we STILL haven't got any closer to 2nd. 

We are starting to create a bit of a gap of our own though, the gap to 7th, giving us real hope of a play off place which we realistically are aiming for.

We are really going to have to get Davis scoring goals if we want to push on though, as we can't keep relying on our midfielders to score. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I am pretty confident that we will reach the play offs.  

I'd hazard a guess that everyone is pretty confident of this. The problem is that the minimum expectation this season was automatic promotion. Anything less than that is a failure IMO. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa89 said:

The problem is that the minimum expectation this season was automatic promotion. 

If that was your minimum expectation then you were always running the risk of being disappointed. Surely play offs would have been the "minimum" expectation with automatic promotion the perfect scenario?

11 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Surely play offs would have been the "minimum" expectation

Not with the money spent on the squad and the highest wage bill in the league. You could say promotion is the minimum expectation and if we go up via the playoffs then that has been achieved but I think that we should be one of the two best teams in this league at the end of this season.

The points gap at the moment may be 7 points, but we are yet to hit the half way point yet. No need to hit the panic button or be gloomy just yet in my opinion. I am not saying it is a certainty that we will overturn the gap, just that there is lots of time for a few twists and turns in this season yet.

The big point swings tend to happen in the final third of the season as the pressure cranks up, teams that were normally losing suddenly find extra fight to survive, tiredness kicks in, stress levels raise and injuries take there toll. We need to keep on the heels of the teams above, and hope the experience of Terry, Chester and Whelan carry us through the pressure period.

24 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

If that was your minimum expectation then you were always running the risk of being disappointed. Surely play offs would have been the "minimum" expectation with automatic promotion the perfect scenario?

Every message from the club in the summer was that top 2 was the target. 

If we go up through the playoffs then it's still job done. Anything but promotion and Bruce has failed. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Every message from the club in the summer was that top 2 was the target. 

If we go up through the playoffs then it's still job done. Anything but promotion and Bruce has failed. 

Agree. Ending the season in playoff places isn't failure. It's 3 more games to succeed.

Id actually love to go up via playoffs. Would be a great memory. 

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Incorrect. Cardiff are missing their main forward atm (Zahore hasn't played for over a month) and Mendez-Laing only returned last night after a few weeks on the sidelines so that's two of the front three that ripped us apart in August who have been out.

Their main midfielder Aron Gunnarsson has also missed a lot recently.

I think people are confusing "Cardiff haven't had many injuries" for "I couldn't name more than three Cardiff players so wouldn't have a clue whos injured when I see their starting 11".;)

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-city-injury-bulletin-neil-13936154

That was just last week.

Cardiff will be more of a threat than Sheffield United. Just a much more experienced manager and squad at this level. They won't be going away. That said I'd be amazed if they get 90 + points.

They will go on a winless run at some stage. We need to make sure we can capitalise when they do that.

"A few weeks" try them having kodjia out for near enough the whole season, jedinak the whole season and Terry about for 4-6 weeks. Grealish out most of the season, Lansbury out for few months. 

Dont try tell me they have had injuries like we have

i agree with your last paragraph though!

Edited by Demitri_C

23 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

"A few weeks" try them having kodjia out for near enough the whole season, jedinak the whole season and Terry about for 4-6 weeks. Grealish out most of the season, Lansbury out for few months. 

Dont try tell me they have had injuries like we have

i agree with your last paragraph though!

I don't think he did. He just made the point that they have suffered some injuries to key players.