17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

32 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Bogey team?  We've only been in the division long enough to play everyone twice, maybe three times! :lol: 

True but that game last year was probably the worst game I saw us play. Then this season they were probably the only team where we looked awful against. Even Sheff Wed we had plenty of the ball in the second half and should have done more with it.

59 minutes ago, omariqy said:

True but that game last year was probably the worst game I saw us play. Then this season they were probably the only team where we looked awful against. Even Sheff Wed we had plenty of the ball in the second half and should have done more with it.

But thats it we played awful in both games, if we actually played half a s well as we have done we could have won either one of those.

The game at Griffith Park i want to put that down as a bad day at the office as it was a new team thrown together first game, we looked good for 15 mins then they scored with first attack and we fell apart. We are a lot better now than what we were there despite our injuries 

For anyone who is a fan of the xG stat then I suggest you follow @EFLStats on Twitter who have put up some graphs.  Basically:

1. Wolves - Slightly overachieving but still way above everyone else in terms of expected points

2. Cardiff City - Similar to Wolves but probably closer to falling into the playoffs

3. Sheff Utd - Overachieving and should probably be just behind the auto spots 

4. Villa - Really shows how poor our start was compared to the chances we created. Now we are following a similar line to xG and are right in the mix for autos

5. Bristol City - Shows that they are pretty much scoring all the chances they should score from. Either they are really efficient or expect them to drop down slightly

6.  Derby - as Bristol City

7. Boro - about right

8. Leeds - definitely outperforming and there is quite a large gap between xG and actual points

9. Ipswich - should be in the relegation battle based on xG

10. Notts Forest - about right, maybe better than expected

Teams to look out for 

Brentford and Sheff Wed

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ender4 said:

I'm not so sure about batter anyone, we can definitely beat anyone 1-0 though :)

yeah.....we are not a "batter" team.

just need to win and against the top teams draw if we can't win, so they don't.

I like now we are challenging, but my goodness it makes you realise we were so poor under Lerner. It was like a nightmare watching some games. We were literally a truly shocking premiership footballing team. The tactics, style was like we had no idea. Benteke was a shining light, the rest of the seasons were absolute woeful. Hopefully we have seen the back of that.

3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I like now we are challenging, but my goodness it makes you realise we were so poor under Lerner. It was like a nightmare watching some games. We were literally a truly shocking premiership footballing team. The tactics, style was like we had no idea. Benteke was a shining light, the rest of the seasons were absolute woeful. Hopefully we have seen the back of that.

Do you think we are a better side now than we were 3 years ago? Genuine question, I've been thinking about this for a week or two now.

Another table  :rolleyes:   showing "Strength of Schedule" to use the American phrase. Its based on every opponents home and away records being ranked. Currently we have the 2nd toughest Home schedule - not surprising as we have only played Boro at home of the top 8 - but we have an easier (?) away schedule. Blues have the 'toughest'  away schedule :)

This model works better in a league where there are fewer 'shocks' - like the PL ?  But I publish it just for interest, anyway

sP1Mc4f.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

Do you think we are a better side now than we were 3 years ago? Genuine question, I've been thinking about this for a week or two now.

Great question! That’s a tough one, 3 seasons ago what was our team again? 

I actually think we are a better team now, sure we’ve lost Amavi and Ayew, but they probably only looked good for us cos the rest were soooo bad! Even Gil looked like Messi in comparison.

2 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Great question! That’s a tough one, 3 seasons ago what was our team again? 

I actually think we are a better team now, sure we’ve lost Amavi and Ayew, but they probably only looked good for us cos the rest were soooo bad! Even Gil looked like Messi in comparison.

I have no doubts in my mind this team is better than the one that was relegated. If they were to play a competitive match sherwoods team that year vs bruces team now. Bruce wins the game and i tjink fairly comfortably 

21 hours ago, omariqy said:

We struggle against good passing sides that’s all. Brentford are a cracking passing team but we’ve better players. Reading are similar. Hopefully our bigger squad will help us over Xmas. 

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I have no doubts in my mind this team is better than the one that was relegated. If they were to play a competitive match sherwoods team that year vs bruces team now. Bruce wins the game and i tjink fairly comfortably 

I tend to agree. We really were a shambles. I never really bought into the losing culture thing that Bruce talked about, but it is true. I just get the impression that a loss to the current side would hurt them. Sheff Weds match case in point - we bounced back strongly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

I tend to agree. We really were a shambles. I never really bought into the losing culture thing that Bruce talked about, but it is true. I just get the impression that a loss to the current side would hurt them. Sheff Weds match case in point - we bounced back strongly.

Some good points there mate. Under that relegation year it would one loss after another, touch wood with bruce when we lose a game we tend to bounce back with a win which is fantastic and does warrant the "resilient" side bruce talks about. 

• Like 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

On a different note looking at last seasons table Newcastle lost TEN games and still finished top. So I think we are doing okay as it stands 

Yep they either won or lose. Didn't draw many. Too many Draws can be like defeats in this league. That was our problem last season. 

8 hours ago, SirSteveUK said:

Another table  :rolleyes:   showing "Strength of Schedule" to use the American phrase. Its based on every opponents home and away records being ranked. Currently we have the 2nd toughest Home schedule - not surprising as we have only played Boro at home of the top 8 - but we have an easier (?) away schedule. Blues have the 'toughest'  away schedule :)

This model works better in a league where there are fewer 'shocks' - like the PL ?  But I publish it just for interest, anyway

sP1Mc4f.jpg

Great table. I'm loving all these stats!Do the home and away stats automatically update after each game?

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yep they either won or lose. Didn't draw many. Too many Draws can be like defeats in this league. That was our problem last season. 

Yes this is true, although if we have to draw, away games at leeds and derby getting a point certainly helps  

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think its such a crapoy thing that the boxing day game and the one on 30th are both away from home 

Last boxing day we had over 40k against burton albion

It is crap but in a strange way it might go in our favour results wise. After a gruelling December players won't be at their sharpest. Brentford and Boro like to keep the ball and break teams down. But you have to be at your sharpest to play this way otherwise you end up just passing the ball around all game in front of the oppositions defence.

Also they will be both be at home so emphasis on them to attack. 

Could be perfect for our counter attacking style. 

12 hours ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

Hmm, that's going to get me thinking now. I reckon we're a better team now and I think we have a better squad.

Could this squad just avoid relegation in the Prem? I'm not sure, but I do believe this is a team rebuilt and on the up rather than slowly rotting like it was back then.

Edited by Paddywhack
  • Like 2