17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

23 minutes ago, terrytini said:

No no no no no.

Not big no. 

Almost identical to ours ( and many others). One of the most tired inaccurate cliches in football.

And anyway we will Win.

Exactly it's complete nonsesne. I think it started because the camera angle made the pitch look big at the old Wembley!

However, there is some wisdom in that a big final at Wembley can sap peoples legs more than usual, but it's other factors not the pitch size.

The adrenaline of the occasion, the build up in the week before including club media promotions/duties. All of your friends and family constantly wanted to talk about the game means that players can be drained by the time it comes to kick off. I think we were so flat in the FA Cup final under Sherwood because the majority of our squad just hadn't had to cope with those pressures before. 

May 26th is different though. We have the players that are aware of those pitfalls and should be better equipped to manage them. Do Fulham?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Just was interested to see what fulham fans arr thinking so read a couple of their forums. This seems to be the general concesus.

Watched Boro v Villa both legs. Hardly the resident Villa expert after seeing two games.. but this was my view of it. Thoughts?

Villa’s main threat is in midfield. Grealish is some player - think a cross between Johansen and Cairney. Snodgrass didn’t look too special over the two legs but i know he’s highly rated by their fans. Jedinak is solid. In a sense, their midfield closely mirrors the structure of ours with two creatives and a holding midfielder.

Defence is solid with Chester (highly rated) and Terry. However surely the latter means they will struggle with our pace.

Finally a lot of hard work by their strikers .. quite similar to us in shape with two wingers who look to drive on the counter. However no real potency to speak of and certainly no Mitro figure in the centre.

Their keeper should have been sent off tonight. It was the most blatant red card you’ll see.

I think the key to the game will be marking Grealish out the game with McDonald. I genuinely feel Villa offer very little apart from him. I certainly think we can afford to commit players in attack provided he’s kept quiet because their strikers lack any real threat compared to Derby.

Feeling positive!’

He probaby isn't too far wrong, we are solid, have a lot of grafters and been there and done its...and one very special player.

• Like 1

They would be feeling positive and confident, after their run of form.

That write up is underestimating us in my view. 

Sure, Grealish is our best player, but if they think he is all that makes us competitive, I'll assume they are in for a rude shock.

7 hours ago, Ikantcpell said:

And people need to stop talking about Fulham like they are barcelona...

Quite the opposite. I want those suckers arrogant and complacent on the day so that we can smash it in their faces.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

Just was interested to see what fulham fans arr thinking so read a couple of their forums. This seems to be the general concesus.

Watched Boro v Villa both legs. Hardly the resident Villa expert after seeing two games.. but this was my view of it. Thoughts?

Villa’s main threat is in midfield. Grealish is some player - think a cross between Johansen and Cairney. Snodgrass didn’t look too special over the two legs but i know he’s highly rated by their fans. Jedinak is solid. In a sense, their midfield closely mirrors the structure of ours with two creatives and a holding midfielder.

Defence is solid with Chester (highly rated) and Terry. However surely the latter means they will struggle with our pace.

Finally a lot of hard work by their strikers .. quite similar to us in shape with two wingers who look to drive on the counter. However no real potency to speak of and certainly no Mitro figure in the centre.

Their keeper should have been sent off tonight. It was the most blatant red card you’ll see.

I think the key to the game will be marking Grealish out the game with McDonald. I genuinely feel Villa offer very little apart from him. I certainly think we can afford to commit players in attack provided he’s kept quiet because their strikers lack any real threat compared to Derby.

Feeling positive!’

I don’t know... I think Adomah and Snodgrass both are good creative players, who were marked very efficiently by Boro. Which in turn enabled Jack to thrive. If they mark Jack out of the game then Adomah and Snoddy can run riot. And hourihane is creative, as is Grabban... we’re not a one trick pony by any means.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Until we shock them with a fully fit and oiled Jonathan Kodjia start ;)

The biggest plus for me, (after getting to Wembley) was Jimmy Danger's sub cameo appearance. His control was perfect, he ran down everything and looked sharp. I think I'd still start Grabban in the final, but a chomping at the bit Kodjia to come off the bench is a very nice option to have. 

9 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

Feeling positive!’

Arrogant little oik.  Fulham is a nothing club, it has won nothing and achieved nothing in 140 years. Its only redeeming feature is its ground. 

• Like 1

Anyone wanting a ticket for this will get one we had 32k for the Liverpool Semi that seemed to satisfy our needs so 38k for this and an opposition who won't sell out means you can rest easy.

Those that bought tickets in the neutral end at Fulham should be able to get tickets from them too.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

Feeling positive!’

He may not be wrong but what he definitely is doing is over rating some of their players.

They've definitely developed a high sense of self importance. Lets not forget that this is the same team of quality players that couldn't get it up when it mattered against Blues.

Let them underestimate us.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Anyone wanting a ticket for this will get one we had 32k for the Liverpool Semi that seemed to satisfy our needs so 38k for this and an opposition who won't sell out means you can rest easy.

Those that bought tickets in the neutral end at Fulham should be able to get tickets from them too.

Not so sure mate, I think demand is going to be incredible here. If Fulham don’t sell their allocation would we get more?

10 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

He may not be wrong but what he definitely is doing is over rating some of their players.

They've definitely developed a high sense of self importance. Lets not forget that this is the same team of quality players that couldn't get it up when it mattered against Blues.

Let them underestimate us.

I stopped reading after seeing Grealish compared to a cross between Cairney and Johansen.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Not so sure mate, I think demand is going to be incredible here. If Fulham don’t sell their allocation would we get more?

unlikely as they have give full allocation rather than part to see if they can sell it.  For instance their season ticket holders can buy 5 tickets each!!!

17 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

For instance their season ticket holders can buy 5 tickets each!!!

So that's close to 200 tickets gone right there :D

• Like 1

May be naiive but i am less worried about Fulham than I was Middlesborough. By having Hutton velcroed to Traore (who, despite everyones mocking of, I would take back at Villa in a heartbeat), we werent playing our natural game. Playing against 11 normos we will get back to our normal game and play a much more balanced game in the final. Fulham are good, granted, and I do rate Mitrovic but Hutton was essentially nulified going forward against Middlesborough and he will be able to get forward more at Wembley which will take the pressure off the defence and hopefully see us playing more football in the middle of the park where we are strong.

I have no doubts that we are getting promoted. Just wish we didnt have to wait so long to confirm it! 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

May be naiive but i am less worried about Fulham than I was Middlesborough. By having Hutton velcroed to Traore (who, despite everyones mocking of, I would take back at Villa in a heartbeat), we werent playing our natural game. Playing against 11 normos we will get back to our normal game and play a much more balanced game in the final. Fulham are good, granted, and I do rate Mitrovic but Hutton was essentially nulified going forward against Middlesborough and he will be able to get forward more at Wembley which will take the pressure off the defence and hopefully see us playing more football in the middle of the park where we are strong.

I have no doubts that we are getting promoted. Just wish we didnt have to wait so long to confirm it! 

I dont want Hutton going forward.  Thats when things start to fall apart.

• Thanks 1