17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, sexbelowsound said:

He may not be wrong but what he definitely is doing is over rating some of their players.

They've definitely developed a high sense of self importance. Lets not forget that this is the same team of quality players that couldn't get it up when it mattered against Blues.

Let them underestimate us.

I would have that scoreline hanging in our dressing room.

Blues 3 Fulham 1

Mitrovic is the type of player who will suit Terry, Jedinak and Chester.  Man marking Sessegnon and them three taking care of Mitrovic will go along way to beating Fulham.  Also nobody seems to mention it, but Fulham are very weak defensively.

17 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Cairney and to some extent McDonald are key for them. They make them tick. Nullify their distribution and you will do well. 

Agreed. To me they have best central midfield in the league in the McDonald-Johansen-Cairney axis and if we drop off and let them play we'll struggle to get much of the ball.

I was always confident against Boro as we tend to do fine against physcial teams who don't value possession much.

Away from VP against teams who knock the ball around for fun we struggle to close the space and create attacks of our own (Wolves and Fulham away).

That's a big concern for Final. Fulham is a much tougher match up for us given our qualities than Boro.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Mitrovic is the type of player who will suit Terry, Jedinak and Chester.  Man marking Sessegnon and them three taking care of Mitrovic will go along way to beating Fulham.  Also nobody seems to mention it, but Fulham are very weak defensively.

Not sure about that.

Sessegnon is probably the best LB in the division, and Fredericks is one of the better RBs.

They only conceded 4 more than you did this season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Not sure about that.

Sessegnon is probably the best LB in the division, and Fredericks is one of the better RBs.

I swear sessagnon plays lm?

defesnively I’ll be honest think boro are stronger but going forward Fulham are much stronger 

I know he scored the other night, but every time I see Fulham play (which granted isn't very often) I think Odoi looks shit, particularly with the ball at his feet under any sort of pressure.

I'd be telling Grabban to be putting plenty of pressure on him.

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I know he scored the other night, but every time I see Fulham play (which granted isn't very often) I think Odoi looks shit, particularly with the ball at his feet under any sort of pressure.

I'd be telling Grabban to be putting plenty of pressure on him.

Yup I agree entirely. Looked like a weak link every time i've seen them play.

I don't think they are that great defensively. We can exploit that for sure.

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

Cairney and to some extent McDonald are key for them. They make them tick. Nullify their distribution and you will do well. 

This. Fredricks and Targett push up and link well off these two. We must win midfield if we are to win this game.

9 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Yup I agree entirely. Looked like a weak link every time i've seen them play.

I don't think they are that great defensively. We can exploit that for sure.

They seem to get away with it though because they absolutely boss the ball. Odoi and Ream are even very comfortable playing it out from the back. To hurt them we need to see more of the ball than we did over the two legs.

14 hours ago, R.Bear said:

Just seen Fulham have lost one league game since 16th December and that the last day of the season to the Blues. Yes I know they lost the 1st leg of the playoffs but **** me that's impressive.

They have won one and lost two of their last three games. Not looking so good now is it?:D

• Like 2

For all the nerves that have crept up this season, I am confident going in to this final.

Fulham are obviously no mugs, but who are we?

Grealish (I'll leave it there).

Adomah, 14 goals from the wing.

Snodgrass, wily, passionate, dedicated. The man you want in your corner.

Kodjia, 19 goals last time around, looking like he's ready to put his injury woes to rest.

Grabban, 19 goals.

Hourihane, an engine, 5 goals.

Jedinak, Australian (yes that qualifies quality).

Hutton, aka Scottish Cafu (and might I add, what a ball in to Grabban that was this morning).

Terry, multiple UEFA defender of the year award, champions league winner, you name it, if it's in reach of his team, he's won it.

Chester, am I right in thinking he is the supporters player of the year?

Johnstone, a fine shot stopper.

Then those who I won't mention, most having proven their worth in this squad and division.

Last but not least, Bruce. A man who has taken on a big job and despite any criticism you want to level at him, a man who is doing his job thus far.

If Fulham can do that line up in, they deserve to go up.

I have a lot of confidence in our club to get it right in this fixture. Exciting times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

Not sure about that.

Sessegnon has been LM most of the season, at times they have played him up front.  I think their midfield has protected their back 4 a great deal this season.  If we isolate their back 4 from their midfield we will score.  Its why i would sit back like we did last night and hit them on the break.

Had a nosey on their forum. They are absolutely convinced they will beat us comprehensively. Cited that when we beat them at VP this season they had no seesegnon and cairney played 10 mins coming back from injury..oh and mitrovic is gonna have terry in his pocket too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Had a nosey on their forum. They are absolutely convinced they will beat us comprehensively. Cited that when we beat them at VP this season they had no seesegnon and cairney played 10 mins coming back from injury..oh and mitrovic is gonna have terry in his pocket too.

What's the saying? Overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer... I am glad we're going into this game as the "underdog" as finals are already high-pressure games, why invite more pressure by talking as if it's already won. 

I know our team is different, but Liverpool in 2015 completely disregarded us as a threat and we played them off the park at Wembley. I feel that Villa are at their most dangerous when everyone has written them off as a non-entity in the contest.