17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

10 hours ago, Mr.Messy said:

It isn't tho, 46 games has determined the outcome of this season and thus the future of AVFC.

Woud you prefer they just gave automatic promotion to the top 3?

I would have as well if we had finished third but we didn't so I'm all for the playoffs now.:D

• Haha 2

Well, my son has successfully got his play-off ticket so i hope he enjoys the big day out.

I wish you well, i'm sure it will be a cracking game of football. 

i think the bookies have you as slight favourites don't they? I don't think it means very much anyway.

In 2007, West Brom were favourites and yet despite being outplayed the whole match, we beat them.

In 2014 Derby were favourites and dominated the game, yet we lost.

The point? Don't stress about it, enjoy the day. It's a Cup Final at Wembley after all :)

• Like 2

If Fulham are favourites, it's about a 55/45 or 60/40 split, but given the occasion it's practically meaningless. Fulham have played better football for more sustained periods, but we have also risen to big occasion matches ourselves. We both have match winners and young talents, and we have plenty of experience in the side. Trying to predict this match would be crazy. If I were neutral, I wouldn't be staking much money on either side with much confidence

I'm absolutely bricking it. The stakes are too high, and I still have our most recent cup final defeat fresh in my mind. I wouldn't mind the final being two-legged to be honest, quality normally shines through over 2 legs.. You never know what could happen in a one off final and it's terrifying.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I'm absolutely bricking it. The stakes are too high, and I still have our most recent cup final defeat fresh in my mind. I wouldn't mind the final being two-legged to be honest, quality normally shines through over 2 legs.. You never know what could happen in a one off final and it's terrifying.

this goes both ways though. I'm sure the Fulham fans are bricking it too if they're being honest with themselves. being a favourite means jack shit in a one off game like this. yes we've screwed up our finals before, but against sides like Man Utd and Arsenal. this time around it's Fulham and they're pretty level with us ability-wise. I'm not gonna lie though, I'm bricking it too..

1 minute ago, osmark86 said:

this goes both ways though. I'm sure the Fulham fans are bricking it too if they're being honest with themselves. being a favourite means jack shit in a one off game like this. yes we've screwed up our finals before, but against sides like Man Utd and Arsenal. this time around it's Fulham and they're pretty level with us ability-wise. I'm not gonna lie though, I'm bricking it too..

To be fair, we weren't good enough for the top 2 so in a way we do deserve the uncertainty of the playoffs. It's still a massive chance though, and the outcome is the same as Wolves winning the league. I think if we get an early goal like Jedinak did at Boro, we got this in the bag. We rarely lose after going 1-0 up.

• Like 1

would like to add that the last FA cup final in 2015 was off a season where we almost made a Wigan (winning a tourney and getting relegated the same year). wasn't exactly our greatest team ever we fielded that day and I think it was a bit of a fluke that we even made it as far as we did. this time around we deserve our place in the finals and we'll damn well show it! UTV!

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

To be fair, we weren't good enough for the top 2 so in a way we do deserve the uncertainty of the playoffs. It's still a massive chance though, and the outcome is the same as Wolves winning the league. I think if we get an early goal like Jedinak did at Boro, we got this in the bag. We rarely lose after going 1-0 up.

I agree. and like you said, first goal could be vital. however I think we'll benefit more from going up first since we rarely lose after going 1 up like you said. however, we aren't exactly done for it if we go one down either as we've shown over multiple games this season. please, please, please get that first goal though! or two! or 85!

I’m gutted that I can’t go to the final. I’ve been to all of Villa’s Wembley matches since 2010, and the majority of our home and away cup games too, but this one has coincided with the recent birth of my daughter. She’ll only be 2 weeks old come the final, and I can’t really be leaving the wife for the majority of the day ? I’ll be watching it from home, bricking it (almost) as much as the lot of you that are attending.

I’ll be there in spirit! Sing your hearts out lads and ladies, I’m sure our fans will make it intimidating for the southern softies!

On 19/05/2018 at 19:23, thejoker said:

It is absolutely massive, and WILL shape our future for the next 5 to 10 years.

FTFY and no pressure lads, no pressure ... ?

1 hour ago, osmark86 said:

would like to add that the last FA cup final in 2015 was off a season where we almost made a Wigan (winning a tourney and getting relegated the same year). wasn't exactly our greatest team ever we fielded that day and I think it was a bit of a fluke that we even made it as far as we did. this time around we deserve our place in the finals and we'll damn well show it! UTV!

That day we got a sample of the Benteke we know today. We actually did well to sell him when we did.

1 hour ago, osmark86 said:

I agree. and like you said, first goal could be vital. however I think we'll benefit more from going up first since we rarely lose after going 1 up like you said. however, we aren't exactly done for it if we go one down either as we've shown over multiple games this season. please, please, please get that first goal though! or two! or 85!

I can’t remember many games we managed to win after going behind. Only QPR and Shef Wed sprint to mind. 

Bristol City, Preston and Derby I can think of where we managed a point. 

I also do not think their are many games that Fulham have lost when taking the lead.

Oh man I’m getting nervous just thinking about it. 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I can’t remember many games we managed to win after going behind. Only QPR and Shef Wed sprint to mind. 

Bristol City, Preston and Derby I can think of where we managed a point. 

I'm sure I saw a stat that we'd recovered the most points from losing positions this season...

... it was either that or lost the least points from winning positions :D 

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm sure I saw a stat that we'd recovered the most points from losing positions this season...

I think it was the latter. Something along of the lines of if we score first we tend to win.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

To be fair if we normally take the lead in games we don’t have many chances to recover from losing positions!