Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I know what you mean, I think he is what he is - he's a goalscorer, he's quick, powerful, greedy and he can score from all sorts of places on the pitch - the rough we take with that is that he's not a great team player, he's not terrible at it, but it's a weakness - I think there's a degree of improvement with good coaching and a big chunk of just enjoying the good stuff and letting him get on with it.

Totally agree, 100%. He's 27 so I don't expect much improvement, but he is a late developer and I do think these last couple of games have been Extreme Kodjia. He's better than he's showing at the minute. 

The main point was if we have a midfield worth a damn then they will both, Hogan and Kodjia, benefit from the space each creates. 

P.S. Thank you for using the little 'i' in DDiD! Old skool!

• Like 1

Yes you can still improve at 27. Many players have. he could be like Vardy, have one exceptional season in the Premier League at 30 for us and win us the league. I can only dream!

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 2

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/feb/10/scott-hogan-angry-young-man-jamie-vardy-aston-villa

Link to an article about him.

As Scott Hogan would no doubt testify, it sometimes takes rejection to change the course of history. “We wanted to sign him, 100%,” says the Rochdale manager, Keith Hill, “but he just wasn’t ready.”

Almost six years before he completed his move from Brentford to Aston Villa for a fee that may eventually rise to £15m, Hogan’s career was already at a crossroads. The Salford-born teenager had just been released by Rochdale after failing to be offered a professional contract despite some impressive performances for the youth team.

“I was head of youth at the time under Keith and Scott was a young man who was quite aggressive and had a little bit of a chip on his shoulder,” says Chris Willcock, who now manages the Northern Premier League side Glossop North End. “It was difficult to contain his emotions during matches because he was a very passionate young man. His work ethic at the time wasn’t the best but he’s always had electric pace, just like Jamie Vardy.

“When Scott first came to us he was very raw but he developed quite nicely so I was really surprised when he didn’t get a pro contract at the end. Keith decided against it so he ended up going into non-league – at the time he saw something else in two other individuals and it was up to him to make the call.”

More in link.

30 minutes ago, Heretic said:

I didn't realise he's eligible to play for ROI :thumb: Goody gumdrops.  I expect himself and Hurricane will be getting call-ups sooner rather than later.

On 2/4/2017 at 19:42, Farlz said:

He'll be lucky to get 5 goals in this team, never mind another 15. Made some fantastic runs and not once did we pass it to him.

I'll keep quoting just so I can see how long I'll be right for. Same issue today, made the runs, never got the ball.  

All I saw from him is a youtube video showing all of his goals at Brentford and I was rather skeptical because most of his goals came from a build up that resembles nothing to what we "play" like, and my first thought was: "he doesn't look like the right type of striker for us".

Then again, Gestede wasn't the right type of striker because we don't cross the ball, McCorkmack wasn't the right type of striker because he needs players around him to move, Kodjia scores some great goals and often creates them out of nothing but wastes a sh**load of chances and lacks baisc football intelligence. Ayew was good enough in the Premier League (given the context) but not good enough for the Championship.

What IS the right type of striker for us?

Â