Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, a m ole said:

He was **** brilliant.

I'd like to give him and Kodjia time to gel upfront. It's a little crazy to expect them to click in their first game as a partnership, Kodjia has his limitations but they will make space for each other. We saw it in tiny flashes last night.

It's more important that we don't use either of them as a target man and use that lovely midfield we bought properly.

Spot on. When we did move the ball forward on the ground we looked so dangerous. Hogan's movement is incredible.

• Like 4

Cracking debut. If he and Kodjia had any support whatsoever, he'd have got off the mark. 

Based on that performance and that alone - his movement, blistering pace and his natural instinct to hit the ball low and hard he has serious potential. It's no wonder Premier League clubs had a stonk on for him. He will make it. 

Funnily enough though, I don't remember him completing a successful pass. So for all the shit Kodjia gets, it will be interesting to see how much of a 'team player' Scott is. I don't really care much either way because with our midfield they should be teeing these lads up consistently. 

I'm confident he will prove to be a great signing. 

• Like 4

@dont_do_it_doug. Kodjia got a load of shit because almost every ball out of midfield went to him and he shot every time apart from once. 

Hogan barely got to touch the ball, but when he did he was either in the box looking to score or passing it to Kodjia. Hogan passed the ball to Kodjia several times on Saturday, but only received one pass in return.

He's a talent, but his movement and instinct will prove useless without anyone around him playing him on.

1 minute ago, Daweii said:

@dont_do_it_doug. Kodjia got a load of shit because almost every ball out of midfield went to him and he shot every time apart from once. 

Hogan barely got to touch the ball, but when he did he was either in the box looking to score or passing it to Kodjia. Hogan passed the ball to Kodjia several times on Saturday, but only received one pass in return.

He's a talent, but his movement and instinct will prove useless without anyone around him playing him on.

So where was the ball out of midfield to Hogan? Or is Kodjia now our creative midfielder too? 

I agree he should do better at times, but Hogan had two good chances on Saturday - one created by himself, one created by Kodjia. 

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

So where was the ball out of midfield to Hogan? Or is Kodjia now our creative midfielder too? 

I agree he should do better at times, but Hogan had two good chances on Saturday - one created by himself, one created by Kodjia. 

No idea. I just remember everything going to Kodjia and Hogan occasionally getting it.

The amount of times Kodjia got the ball where Grealish should have been picking it up and then shooting was infuriating.

29 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Funnily enough though, I don't remember him completing a successful pass. So for all the shit Kodjia gets, it will be interesting to see how much of a 'team player' Scott is. I don't really care much either way because with our midfield they should be teeing these lads up consistently. 

That's probably because kodjia never passed to him, so he never had the opportunity!

8 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Had hogan scored from that mazy run through their defence it would have been one of the best debut goals seen - showed skill strength and pace - will be a great asset.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daweii said:

No idea. I just remember everything going to Kodjia and Hogan occasionally getting it.

The amount of times Kodjia got the ball where Grealish should have been picking it up and then shooting was infuriating.

I agree it was. But listen, the lad is no creative mid. We sat so deep that most of the time he picked the ball up he had 4 defenders on him and Hogan making a run that he's not equipped to pick out. 

Just my opinion. Back to Hogan. 

11 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I agree it was. But listen, the lad is no creative mid. We sat so deep that most of the time he picked the ball up he had 4 defenders on him and Hogan making a run that he's not equipped to pick out. 

DDiD, sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick here - is 'the lad' in this sentence Kodjia? If it is, there were maybe half a dozen times against Forest where we picked up the ball through midfield with Grealish, had Kodjia and Hogan breaking and looking dangerous, Kodjia was making himself available for the ball early but when he received it, rather than looking to his partner or to continue the break, play was breaking down while he either looked to beat too many defenders on his own or get himself into a shooting position too far out. He made some very poor decisions on the counter. I think if they work on that with him, then those three on the break are capable of really hurting teams.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Eastie said:

Had hogan scored from that mazy run through their defence it would have been one of the best debut goals seen - showed skill strength and pace - will be a great asset.

Absolutely I cannot remember a striker doing a run like that. It was fantastic. He looks a completely different striker to kodjia which is exciting as now we head options to mix it up.

Bruce has the players now should be no more excuses 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Eastie said:

Only De La Cruz would be safe.

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

DDiD, sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick here - is 'the lad' in this sentence Kodjia? If it is, there were maybe half a dozen times against Forest where we picked up the ball through midfield with Grealish, had Kodjia and Hogan breaking and looking dangerous, Kodjia was making himself available for the ball early but when he received it, rather than looking to his partner or to continue the break, play was breaking down while he either looked to beat too many defenders on his own or get himself into a shooting position too far out. He made some very poor decisions on the counter. I think if they work on that with him, then those three on the break are capable of really hurting teams.

The lad is Kodjia yes. 

I agree with your assessment. My point was more of a general one, in that we are asking him to do something he either isn't capable of doing or at worst isn't willing to do.

The support from the midfield wasn't there, the entire game up until the 60th minute or so. I did notice that at that point, when he had more options, he did start to lay the ball off more often. 

Also worth noting, he's shit at passing and he knows it. I don't think that is being taken into account. This is not a full on defence of Kodjia's performances of late, more 'food for thought'. 

16 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

i hope he scores soon

I fear that he'll get frustrated at Kodjia and the eventual hoofball that will be the norm

I hope that the manager will actually manage and stop Kodj doing this, then these two should have a field day. 

14 hours ago, tinker said:

Hogan plays right where defenders hate, on their shoulder. He will score a bucket load if he can stay injury free  

Whilst I agree, we need to play in that particular part of the pitch and actually pass to the strikers.  

Something we haven't been doing the past few games! 

If the wingbacks pushed up more,  we need to have the confidence to trust the back 3 , then the opposition will either risk us getting behind them or sit back and let our creative midfield push up. It's down to confidence and playing more offensive wingbacks 

6 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

The lad is Kodjia yes. 

I agree with your assessment. My point was more of a general one, in that we are asking him to do something he either isn't capable of doing or at worst isn't willing to do.

The support from the midfield wasn't there, the entire game up until the 60th minute or so. I did notice that at that point, when he had more options, he did start to lay the ball off more often. 

Also worth noting, he's shit at passing and he knows it. I don't think that is being taken into account. This is not a full on defence of Kodjia's performances of late, more 'food for thought'. 

I know what you mean, I think he is what he is - he's a goalscorer, he's quick, powerful, greedy and he can score from all sorts of places on the pitch - the rough we take with that is that he's not a great team player, he's not terrible at it, but it's a weakness - I think there's a degree of improvement with good coaching and a big chunk of just enjoying the good stuff and letting him get on with it.

• Like 2

Â