Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

57 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Grabban has 58 touches today - has hogan had 58 all season?

Usually around a dozen a game... we're lucky not to rely on Hogan, he's bang average. Works hard and scores occationally. Does nothing else.

• Like 2

He doesn’t have a future here. He offers nothing that can’t be offered by more or less any other striker.

He just doesn’t fit Bruce’s mould for a striker at all so I really am baffled as to why he was ever signed.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Spoony said:

He doesn’t have a future here. He offers nothing that can’t be offered by more or less any other striker.

He just doesn’t fit Bruce’s mould for a striker at all so I really am baffled as to why he was ever signed.

it's a shame because he is actually a good player but like you say he just doesn't fit bruces style. hopefully he can get a couple of important goals before the seasons out and at least then if we do move him on it's a good note.

37 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I don't think he is, he's just a bog standard mediocre championship striker. 

I agree. I don't get how people say he's a good player. Even McCormack did loads more than him and actually affected games (granted, bar those important goals).

I'm wondering how we are expecting him to play well when he's left up front with absolutely no service bar the odd long ball that's launched in his direction.

We've utilized him in the right way recently playing the ball on the floor with Grealish, Adomah & Snodgrass supporting him and he soored 5 in 5...

Crazy how a player can have a poor game and then suddenly be considered a terrible signing, much like Bjarnasson last week who has been MOTM in a few games but was then moved back to the left wing where he can't play and was considered an awful footballer again.

Baffling...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I'm wondering how we are expecting him to play well when he's left up front with absolutely no service bar the odd long ball that's launched in his direction.

We've utilized him in the right way recently playing the ball on the floor with Grealish, Adomah & Snodgrass supporting him and he soored 5 in 5...

Crazy how a player can have a poor game and then suddenly be considered a terrible signing, much like Bjarnasson last week who has been MOTM in a few games but was then moved back to the left wing where he can't play and was considered an awful footballer again.

Baffling...

I kind of agree with this. However it is baffling why he's being picked when Grealish and Adomah are both out and therefore he is always going to have a limited supply.

I don't actually think he's even that good. As someone said he's a bit like Darren Bent was when we had him - offers very little when he doesn't score. The only issue is that he seems to be a lot less likely to score than Bent was.

He reminds me a bit of Darren Bent. Brilliant in the box with some service but in a game where we don't have the ball/creative players you need a different striker to do more than just poach. 

I thought he had a great game v Blues but he needs Grealish with him.

5 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

I kind of agree with this. However it is baffling why he's being picked when Grealish and Adomah are both out and therefore he is always going to have a limited supply.

I don't actually think he's even that good. As someone said he's a bit like Darren Bent was when we had him - offers very little when he doesn't score. The only issue is that he seems to be a lot less likely to score than Bent was.

Yeh I agree with that, with the team set up as it is we should be playing with Grabban or Davis up top to hold the ball up. It was most noticeable against Preston where Jedinak was smashing balls all over the place... I don't think Hogan won a single aerial challenge in that game.

• Like 1

He tries hard, in that he runs round after lost causes, so you can't fault him for effort.  He's a deeply rubbish footballer though.  You just have to hope that one of his 20 touches per game ends in a goal, as he contributes next to nothing else.  He's awful when in possession of the ball, he can't run with it, and he can't beat a man.  Grabban looks a much, much better bet up front, and if we can get the best out of him when Grealish and Adomah are fit again, I think we'll go up automatically.

2 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Baffling...

Except you need to look at all the goals he scored in that little run he had, and realise that all of them, every single one, came from a cross and not from a ball on the floor.

2 hours ago, AndyM3000 said:

He reminds me a bit of Darren Bent. Brilliant in the box with some service but in a game where we don't have the ball/creative players you need a different striker to do more than just poach. 

I thought he had a great game v Blues but he needs Grealish with him.

He reminds me of Shane Long. Pace and energy in abundance, but needs 3 or 4 chances to score and doesn't do much more.

I actually think he is the type of striker that works better in an underdog team that plans to defend all game and try to break on the counter. If we get promoted and we keep him, he could be a decent option in games against the Top 6 where we might plan to defend for our lives for 90 minutes, playing him upfront in a 4-5-1, hoping to knock balls onto the wing for him to run onto.

Â