Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

I think often he tries to hard too get involved, I don't think he lacks skill but he is clearly a old skool limited but effective if used right - goal poacher. Only he has to try and fail at hold up play and creating his own chances.

He is frustrating to watch though, he reminds me of Weimann at times.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

I think often he tries to hard too get involved, I don't think he lacks skill but he is clearly a old skool limited but effective if used right - goal poacher. Only he has to try and fail at hold up play and creating his own chances.

He reminds me of a much less involved Darren Bent. With both players it was as if there was a big gap at the front of the pitch. 

1 hour ago, praisedmambo said:

He reminds me of a much less involved Darren Bent. With both players it was as if there was a big gap at the front of the pitch. 

I think his workrate and pace makes him much more involved than Bent.

To this day, I believe that Bent was hypnotized at a young age, to think that he was constantly surrounded by custard and cats.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

There are many different types of strikers/ forwards.....tall ones, small ones, fast ones, slow ones, quick thinkers, slow thinkers.

but they have one thing in common.....they will be valued by how many goals they score.

The really good ones will get you one when you need it......the not so good ones will just score when they can.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

It was only 2 weeks ago people were saying he makes us a better team and preferred him over Kodija  :ph34r:

To be fair it was only 2 weeks ago we had Adomah and Grealish fit and he was getting the maximum amount of service to look better than Kodjia.

This league moves fast, we've had 3 games since Adomah and Grealish were injured at SHA. Now it's obvious why he's not playing well, but when games come as fast as they do in the Championship it exacerbates a players form in the eyes of fans.

Hogan with Adomah and Grealish in the team is a threat to any team, but without them he's not as at that point marking Snodgrass out of the game removes all of our creative outlets barring a Hourihane wonder goal. 

28 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

It was only 2 weeks ago people were saying he makes us a better team and preferred him over Kodija  :ph34r:

Did anyone actually say they preferred hi mover Kodjia?
Because that's ludicrous.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

No doubt ii my mind we over paid for him. 

That doesn’t make him by any means unique. We’ve overpaid for a lot'of players. At least he has worked hard to get into scoring form and make a team contribution. Unlike some other strikers I could mention.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

That doesn’t make him by any means unique. We’ve overpaid for a lot'of players. At least he has worked hard to get into scoring form and make a team contribution. Unlike some other strikers I could mention.

I like Hogan in terms of his attitude and he does try. I never see him just put in a lazy shift. i like that. but 12-15m whatever the figure was is pure robbery. brentford done us good there 

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I like Hogan in terms of his attitude and he does try. I never see him just put in a lazy shift. i like that. but 12-15m whatever the figure was is pure robbery. brentford done us good there 

There are many players that have left Brentford and done little else , elswhere.

They play a style of football that commits players to attack and that is very commendable and attractive on the eye.....however, there is a trade off and there usually is at this level.they have conceded 41 goals, drawn 11 lost 10

now considering they took 4 pts off us, there does appear to be a distinction in their ability to Attack v Defend.

I don't know all the stats of Scotts goals at Brentford, but they did seem to come from a swarming of the opposition, we play more conservatively than that......who's right and who's wrong is hard for me to say....but we are 13 pts ahead of them despite their scalp of 4 pts.

I think Scotts performances reflect on who the personel we have selected and in the main I am referring to Jack and Albert.

I don't want to discard him too soon, I think in terms of squad variation he is an asset......but I can see folks frustration, with his last few games.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Its tricky this......its all about supply and demand, not necessarily ability on its own.

It is also about how desperate a team is in getting the right player and in our case on the back of such a long period of demise.....The building had to start quickly and without delay....had we of been in better shape as a club and a team, we might have been able to keep our powder dry like West Ham.

However, all teams do this....e.g Chelsea with Torres....it happens.....you have to ensure, that its not too often, like us in the past.

PS To say he is not worth, this or that is not helpful to the player, the club and just winds the fans up, it will happen again at some point. He is our player and we have to do the best we can with him until we are in a position to change it.....or he changes it by filling that net.

Edited by TRO

49 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I like him, in terms of his approach and attitude to playing for Aston Villa.

sadly, He needs Jack and Albert back.

predictable balls are no good to him, (particularly in the air ,big defenders cut them out) He needs them for their guile and unpredictability, to steal a march on his opponent.

He is not going to out muscle them.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

Good post and re: Weimann yes you can see similarities in as much that they both struggle at times it seems to get the ball under control - if Weimann only had a better technique not would he be a player 

Part of a winning team , scares the oposition and puts in effort every game.

Unless its a straight choice of grabban OR hogan , he starts every game.

Grabban ahould take the left if adomah is out as snoddy is crap on the left.

And if adomah and grealish are fit then he should start .. grabbans last goal was a hogan shot coming back off tge keeper.

100% effort is required from everyone every game

Hogan has still given that

• Like 1

I don't know what it is about him - even with the goalscoring run he went on, he's not looked confident. I think he struggles with the pressure and not having things set up around him makes the chances that fall to him scarcer and therefore even more pressure-inducing. 

Â