Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

22 minutes ago, Risso said:

He tries hard, in that he runs round after lost causes, so you can't fault him for effort.  He's a deeply rubbish footballer though.  You just have to hope that one of his 20 touches per game ends in a goal, as he contributes next to nothing else.  He's awful when in possession of the ball, he can't run with it, and he can't beat a man.  Grabban looks a much, much better bet up front, and if we can get the best out of him when Grealish and Adomah are fit again, I think we'll go up automatically.

He's actually one of the more intelligent footballers we have, his off the ball runs draw defenders to him and create space for players like Grealish & Hourihane. Unfortunately his run's are rarely picked out.

On the ball he can run with it really well, he's not skillful but he is exceptionally quick. The problem is most of the time he picks the ball up to run with it from too deep due to the gap between the himself and the midfield, he then gives himself too much to do.

He presses well, but again when he hasn't got players around him helping with the press then he looks as though he is running around after lost causes.

Basically he needs a number 10 behind him to be the poacher that he is, if not he is wasted.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Risso said:

Except you need to look at all the goals he scored in that little run he had, and realise that all of them, every single one, came from a cross and not from a ball on the floor.

But we play with the ball to create space for the wingers to cross the ball into the box where he scores.

Instead of lumping it long to him and hoping for the best.

7 hours ago, Spoony said:

He doesn’t have a future here. He offers nothing that can’t be offered by more or less any other striker.

He just doesn’t fit Bruce’s mould for a striker at all so I really am baffled as to why he was ever signed.

I'm fairly sure the plan was for him to do better.........

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

For me Scott relies on service much more than Grabban......all strikers rely on service, but some have better ball control to work the ball through defences....Lewis is better on the ball.

Davies who is still learning his trade is better physically equipped to play the target man, but hasn't got the finishing skills

When Albert and Jack are out ,it is difficult to see how Scott can be effective.

its a conundrum.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wilko154 said:

I'm wondering how we are expecting him to play well when he's left up front with absolutely no service bar the odd long ball that's launched in his direction.

We've utilized him in the right way recently playing the ball on the floor with Grealish, Adomah & Snodgrass supporting him and he soored 5 in 5...

Crazy how a player can have a poor game and then suddenly be considered a terrible signing, much like Bjarnasson last week who has been MOTM in a few games but was then moved back to the left wing where he can't play and was considered an awful footballer again.

Baffling...

He needs the service of Jack and Albert.....Lewis is able to cope better than Scott without it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I'm fairly sure the plan was for him to do better.........

Then it’s a dreadful plan given that he is quite clearly not the striker for Bruce’s system and literally everyone can see that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

How would everyone know how he was going to be used and played when we signed him?

What a strange comment. 

Haha, round 8 DC? Ding ding ding......

Okay, it's easy to point fingers 12+ months down the line and say things like 'I can't understand why we signed him' when in parallel, we were all largely happy with the signing at the time of it occurring. Just like Bruce and the club, we largely felt he would be a good addition, unless I've misunderstood the tone of associated comments around that time.

Just because a player doesn't make it somewhere doesn't mean that there is some form of deficiency in the decision making to have signed said individual - at least not all of the time anyway.

If this doesn't make sense please let me know.

5 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Haha, round 8 DC? Ding ding ding......

Okay, it's easy to point fingers 12+ months down the line and say things like 'I can't understand why we signed him' when in parallel, we were all largely happy with the signing at the time of it occurring. Just like Bruce and the club, we largely felt he would be a good addition, unless I've misunderstood the tone of associated comments around that time.

Just because a player doesn't make it somewhere doesn't mean that there is some form of deficiency in the decision making to have signed said individual - at least not all of the time anyway.

If this doesn't make sense please let me know.

No a lot of that makes sense but i think its fair for fans to question why a player was signed using hindsight. I think we were all pretty happy with the signing but the difference is the management team surely should be signing him with a clear plan in mind whereas we as fans need to see how he is used. Bruce claimed that the club had been following him for sometime. 

The fact he has struggled so much, looked so poor and cost so much when FFP is a serious issue, for me makes it a fair criticism and question to ask. 

• Like 2

I'm disappointed in him.

I sadly don't think his sloppy touches are that much down to confidence any more.

Until the last two, he'd been scoring, and the team was winning. He still couldn't do much without tripping over the ball.

Hopefully he makes something of himself, but big improvements need to be made.

On 26/02/2018 at 16:04, wilko154 said:

He's actually one of the more intelligent footballers we have, his off the ball runs draw defenders to him and create space for players like Grealish & Hourihane. Unfortunately his run's are rarely picked out.

On the ball he can run with it really well, he's not skillful but he is exceptionally quick. The problem is most of the time he picks the ball up to run with it from too deep due to the gap between the himself and the midfield, he then gives himself too much to do.

He presses well, but again when he hasn't got players around him helping with the press then he looks as though he is running around after lost causes.

Basically he needs a number 10 behind him to be the poacher that he is, if not he is wasted.

I honestly think you must be watching a different player.  For a completely different team, in a different league.  In Spain.

2 hours ago, Risso said:

I honestly think you must be watching a different player.  For a completely different team, in a different league.  In Spain.

Nope, I understand he hasn't been great in the last 3 games but then the players that get the best out of him have been injured and the team has had to change for that reason. The style of football that this has resulted in hasn't worked in his favour, ideally we should have played Davis in these games as he can hold the play up better.

However when players like Grealish & Adomah are back we will see Hogan firing again as he was over the winning streak not so long ago.

I think he makes very intelligent runs and might well be a good finisher. His heading and general hold up play are poor. He definitely requires creativity behind him. 

As to the mystery of why we signed him my personal theory is that he was available. Even at the time Bruce said he didn’t expect to do that business but he became available. In my little world Kojak went, Bruce realised Gabby and McCormack weren’t going to do it, he desperately needed a goal scorer, and a Hogan was available and had a good record....and importantly for Bruce a good character.

Just my own theory..I don’t think a Bruce with a preseason would’ve signed him, it was needs must. 

He could still be the guy that gets us up though !

Â