Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

13 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

i think there is little wrong with Hogan's ability.

The issue surrounding Hogan is our style of play and the way in which the manager chooses to play him.

He is not the type of striker who works well on his own.  He needs someone with him to play passes in behind the defense for him to run on to.

We rarely play this way, and never play this way without Grealish in the team.

In a team that plays more attacking/creative football Hogan would score goals. 

I dont blame Hogan for his performances, i do place some blame on Bruce for the way he has utilized him, but accept a potion of this has been out of necessity.  What i blame bruce more for, is signing a player that doesn't suit the way he has set out teams at any point in his managerial career.  Bruce has never sent teams out regularly to play in such a way as to maximize Hogans abilities.

We should never have signed him, and should have brought in a more physical striker instead who might have been able to offer us more when played up top on his own.

Just like Liverpool, shouldn't have signed Benteke or West Ham shouldn't have let go of Snodgrass.

There are a plethora of reasons why things happen, not to mention availability.

I don't think the manager chooses to play him like anything, we are playing a style that is in keeping with the skills of the other players in the squad/team, Scott, SB,the coaches must find a way to maximise his abilities at the same time, stay on the promotion trail.

Steve Bruce plays to the strength of his squad, like most managers......He is responsible for the signings yes, but you can't always get who you want.

you say he chooses to play that way and then you accept that Grealish has an impact on Scotts game.....Well I would be surprised if Steve Bruce chose for Jack to be injured, because thats what it implies to me.

There is a kaleidescope full of things for managers to deal with....we are 3rd, maybe a reluctance to bring him up every time there is a knark, would be a kind of way of supporting him.

Edited by TRO

19 hours ago, TRO said:

Just like Liverpool, shouldn't have signed Benteke or West Ham shouldn't have let go of Snodgrass.

There are a plethora of reasons why things happen, not to mention availability.

I don't think the manager chooses to play him like anything, we are playing a style that is in keeping with the skills of the other players in the squad/team, Scott, SB,the coaches must find a way to maximise his abilities at the same time, stay on the promotion trail.

Steve Bruce plays to the strength of his squad, like most managers......He is responsible for the signings yes, but you can't always get who you want.

you say he chooses to play that way and then you accept that Grealish has an impact on Scotts game.....Well I would be surprised if Steve Bruce chose for Jack to be injured, because thats what it implies to me.

There is a kaleidescope full of things for managers to deal with....we are 3rd, maybe a reluctance to bring him up every time there is a knark, would be a kind of way of supporting him.

sorry Tro so many things i could pick on in that.

Grealish was fit and not picked alot during SBs time as manager so i dont buy that he reintroduced him to change our style of play.

he signs players that are available and not ones that fit our style of play? that alone seems like a really stupid thing to do. for the money we spent on hogan i can guarantee you a forward more suited to 'our squads strengths' was available.

doesnt seem a coincidence that our attacking play improved when agnew arrived? yeah SB gets credit for bringing him in but he also needs to take the knock for not correcting the issue sooner.  im sure another attacking coach could have been brought in on a short term deal until he got who he wanted.

point being Hogan was never likely to succeed under SB. the manager has never employed a style that would make the most of hogan on a regular basis.  you say thats because of availability - i call bs on that as hogan was banging them in for a side with far less quality than ours.  you dont need grealish to play on the front foot, you need to have trust in your fringe players and courage to take risks.

not convince SB has either in spades.

promoted or not, id rather someone else take the reins.

5 hours ago, Risso said:

According to Whoscored, he touched the ball 14 times. He is hugely out of his depth at Villa, and we overpaid for him by a factor of 4 at least.

And that isn't a one off. That is about average for him. 

He also managed to pass the ball to another villa player 3 times in over an hour. That's **** embarrassing. 

I just don't think he can handle the pressure of playing for a biggish club - he'd never played for one before and it doesn't look as though he can handle it mentally. That's something that's pretty hard to detect prior to a transfer, tbf. 

• Like 1

His work rate and commitment is very good but his overall game is so poor. Does not do enough for me, I mean Grabban has been here how long and already he has nearly as many goals as Hogan. We could have signed grabban for half the price of hogan crazy.

for me i think it might be woorth playing grabban up top in place of hogan and bring grealish in. 

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

I just don't think he can handle the pressure of playing for a biggish club - he'd never played for one before and it doesn't look as though he can handle it mentally. 

This excuse get trotted out a lot when players join Liverpool or Man United and it's a load of tosh IMO. You're either good enough or you're not. It's nothing to do with mental pressure or expectations of a 'big' club. Hogan just isn't good enough. He's a mediocre, mid-table championship player that was a panic buy. That's all.

I would definitely start Grabban instead of him on Saturday. My only slight doubt is that Hogan has played well with Grealish behind him and he works hard closing defenders down. Grabban is a different type of player. I think we need to pressure them high up the pitch for us to be effective. 

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

So mental pressure just doesn't exist as a concept? 

Of course it exists, it's just not the reason players fail at clubs. Hogan just isn't good enough, it doesn't matter what happening between his ears.

2 hours ago, omariqy said:

My only slight doubt is that Hogan has played well with Grealish behind him

Has he really though?  He scored a few goals, but other than running round like a puppy afer a balloon I don't think he adds much.  For Wolves, we have to start Grealish, and I'd go:

Johnstone

Elmo Terry Chester Taylor

Hourihane Jedinak Grealish

Snodgrass Grabban Albert

That should be plenty to give a the Dogheads a sound thrashing, but importantly it's a midfield and forward line full of players who are very good at what they do, with no weak link.  Hogan is very much a weak link.  You can get away with it playing a team of nohopers like Sunderland, but not against the league leaders.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Risso said:

Has he really though?  He scored a few goals, but other than running round like a puppy afer a balloon I don't think he adds much.  For Wolves, we have to start Grealish, and I'd go:

Johnstone

Snodgrass Grabban Albert

That should be plenty to give a the Dogheads a sound thrashing, but importantly it's a midfield and forward line full of players who are very good at what they do, with no weak link.  Hogan is very much a weak link.  You can get away with it playing a team of nohopers like Sunderland, but not against the league leaders.

Hogan works well (or "best") with Grealish, absolutely.  It was a shame that Grealish came on for Hogan against Sunderland in a way, as the runs Grealish made through the middle are exactly the type that Hogan thrived off at Brentford - midfielder drives with ball, finds Hogan, Hogan scores.  That's almost his entire game.

I thought we were pretty poor against Sunderland tbh and, particularly in the first half, there was a lot of long ball stuff being played.  Hogan just doesn't work with that.  If we're going to continue in such a manner, then Grabban/Davis have to be the partnership up top.

Very poor last night,  missed the ball completely on what was a good chance, was offside a couple of times unnecessarily and his hold up play was poor. After a good run of form he has reverted to type. We ought to play Grabban in his place, he looks more up to the task. 

47 minutes ago, Risso said:

Johnstone

Snodgrass Grabban Albert

Agree 100%

He really hasn't had many good performances. We are talking 2 or 3 at the most. 

he really is quite shit isn't he?

It's quickly becoming apparent that "he needs the right service" actually means "He needs it laid before him on a silver platter"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â